Parent chess deal of a life time (mines at least)

  • #21

    @ciljettu...do you have any kids? if so how old? 

  • #22

    I think it's best to just ignore ciljettu rather than argue, cause I'm not so sure hes being serious.

  • #23

    Yes..thought i saw a cot in the background...

    Of course you are an optimistic father with great plans and ideals for your child...I have a 6, 4 and 1 year old and have spoken to many great parents who give their kids incentives (bribes) to do well...I think it's a majority reality..

    to answer the post...your parents have given you a challenge...can you do it?

  • #24

    This reminds me of a Mr. Show sketch.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Su6k6P_AZ0

  • #25

    In fact, let's all do what we can to once and for all create a socialist utopia, where every man, woman and child is watched over and cared for by a single, benevolent one-world government.  Where we all labour only at our hearts' desires, and stay true to our muses without fear of social stratification imposed by rewards unfairly foisted upon the hard-working or the gifted.  Where the tie-dye bedecked bead jewelry artist is held in the same high fiscal and social esteem as the neurosurgeon and the captain of industry.  And where we can all hold hands, feel the warm, loving glow of the Mother Goddess smiling down upon us, and sing together, "Kum-Ba-Yah," except rewritten to be more spiritually non-exclusionary.

  • #26

    I could go for pie.

  • #27

    Ok...good luck with that... :-)

  • #28

    Ayn Rand is probably even as we speak rolling over in her grave someplace. Assuming she's dead.  She's dead, right?  Because she'd be like really old by now.

  • #29

    If I'm understanding this thread correctly, then I think ciljettu should give his kids the opportunity to run away from home, so he should pay his kids for chores. 

  • #30

    And just speaking from experience, because as it so happens, I was a kid once.  But if you're the parent and you don't plan to fork over the moolah in return for services rendered, you're not getting so much as a single blade of grass mowed, let me tell you.

  • #31

    Yeah he won't be able to run away until he is at least 1..

  • #32
    ciljettu wrote:

    Why would my 6-month-old treasure run away? Are you on the drink again? Why don't you say something on parenting or the benefits of membership vs books that is related to the thread?

    SorryLaughing

  • #33
    FeginaldKingdom wrote:

    And just speaking from experience, because as it so happens, I was a kid once.  But if you're the parent and you don't plan to fork over the moolah in return for services rendered, you're not getting so much as a single blade of grass mowed, let me tell you.


    You must have had commies for parents.  You'd have mowed the lawn for my ol' man, had you been his kid, without any monetary recompense.  Guaranteed.

  • #34

    yes diamond...

    and final word at ciljettu...just don't feel too upset if these ideals are not obtained.. those who aim for the stars have more chance reach the moon..so seriously good luck with fatherhood...

  • #35
    bigpoison wrote:
    FeginaldKingdom wrote:

    And just speaking from experience, because as it so happens, I was a kid once.  But if you're the parent and you don't plan to fork over the moolah in return for services rendered, you're not getting so much as a single blade of grass mowed, let me tell you.


    You must have had commies for parents.  You'd have mowed the lawn for my ol' man, had you been his kid, without any monetary recompense.  Guaranteed.

    Capitalists.  When we work and are rewarded, it's capitalism.  It's how Jesus wanted things.

    You're speaking of dictatorship, which says to me you didn't know how to leverage the scarce resource of your precious labour hours as a youth.  No shame in that, but do your children a favor and have them read Adam Smith ASAP.

    Ciljettu, you'll find that to the right of "Marx."  This is true either alphabetically or ideologically.  It's so awesome when stuff works out like that.

  • #36

    The old man's hands weren't invisible.

  • #37
    ciljettu wrote:
    nineofjoker wrote:

    ciljettu - do you really feel this is the place to impose your values on other people? This kid posted for some advice and you hi-jacked the thread. You're insisting that we all adopt your values on this subject, while you argue that all people should find their own motivations. Go to a parenting website if you need to hash out your issues with the way other people conduct their life.

    Right because I am the only person here who has posted anything unrelated to chess..... I was discussing issues that emanated directly from the OP's original post.

    so you think just becaue you werent the only person it makes it rightUndecided chess.com has places for you to post your own view and anything else its called OFF TOPIC forums search and post to your hearts desire.

  • #38

    Never mind the fact that he was the first response and set the tone....

  • #39

    @chessmaster102

    I think you can get from these posts that generally your parents are quite noramal in the fact that they are teaching you the basic principle in life...you don't get something for nothing...and maybe you should just go for the edit: diamond membership instead of the books..you are 18? get a job and buy some extra chess books if you want..

  • #40
    ciljettu wrote:

    I don't like the fact that your parents are bribing and manipulating you. I would never do that to my son. You should help with chores only if you feel it is right to contribute.

    Hello, cil - if your son did not think it was 'right' to contribute to chores and you disagreed; and after discussion between the two of you neither convinced the other to change their mind; would you apply no punishment or sanction of any kind? Perhaps you wouldn't.

or Join

Online Now