Forums

philosophy and chess

Sort:
j-pax

i watched a chess docu. again, CHESS ME OUT (i ve posted it in this forum ....

http://www.chess.com/survey/whats-your-favorite-chess-film.

karpov mentioned that one of his teachers Botvinick said: if you deeper develop your philisophical ideas. you can deeper understand chess.

maybe someone has a topic we can discuss .. and train our  minds

naturalproduct
j-pax wrote:

i watched a chess docu. again, CHESS ME OUT (i ve posted it in this forum ....

http://www.chess.com/survey/whats-your-favorite-chess-film.

karpov mentioned that one of his teachers Botvinick said: if you deeper develop your philisophical ideas. you can deeper understand chess.

maybe someone has a topic we can discuss .. and train our  minds

J.:

I was thinking this same thing just now after reading the chess and war discussion in one of the MC posts. After work I'd like to ressurect this thread and discuss it more. I have some ideas. Do you have any to start it out?

I'm amazed no one posted anything about this. Its such a great topic to think about..

AndyClifton

No doubt Botvinnik was referring to dialectical materialism. Wink

waffllemaster

Yeah, I've heard some odd quotes of Botvinnik.  I have to think that outside of the Soviet Union, and just as a regular chess player (well, as regular as a world champion is I suppose) he wouldn't have bothered saying these types of things.

j-pax

hey mike i like something to think about...  it would be good if we can find a topic we DISagree on... makes us think about arguments :)

i am pretty left politicaly but moraly pretty conservative ..  maybe that's the key to something.... because most lefties are very liberal:))

AndyClifton

buncha commies!

j-pax

"develope philisofical ideas" .. would be cool to develop dialectical materialism :))  i think Botvinick did not mean read nietzsche or sartre... but have a view on thing with good arguments.

i could be wrong.

AndyClifton

What does all of this yakking have to do with chess?  Beats the heck outta me.

naturalproduct
j-pax wrote:

hey mike i like something to think about...  it would be good if we can find a topic we DISagree on... makes us think about arguments :)

i am pretty left politicaly but moraly pretty conservative ..  maybe that's the key to something.... because most lefties are very liberal:))

I just think the topic and history of chess have deep philisophical roots. I can't imagine that the game was created without some philisophical under pinnings. I love philosophy, so I have to think of something interesting to post about. I'll think on it and get back to this thread soon

@Andy..lol...thats deep.

AndyClifton
naturalproduct wrote:
I just think the topic and history of chess have deep philisophical roots. I can't imagine that the game was created without some philisophical under pinnings.

I seriously doubt it.

naturalproduct
AndyClifton wrote:

patients sir! You will soon be treated to much musings that generally lead nowhereWink. After all. I should know. I took multiple philosophy courses in college including one on the philosophy of science.  Its interesting because there are no answers... OK....now its getting off track

waffllemaster

Musings can be fun, but I doubt they lead to a deeper understanding of chess... whatever that's supposed to mean.

AndyClifton
naturalproduct wrote:
 Its interesting because there are no answers...

Ah yes, one of my favorite things about philosophy... Undecided  (Well, except of course for the answers on the midterms.)

naturalproduct
AndyClifton wrote:
naturalproduct wrote:
I just think the topic and history of chess have deep philisophical roots. I can't imagine that the game was created without some philisophical under pinnings.

I seriously doubt it.

What makes you think so? Was the person who created chess likely a nimrod or an intelligent person? If intelligent, then wouldn't you expect the game to mimic some aspect about life, work, pleasure, war, etc. to make it interesting and applicable to some facets of life?

Maybe you can gamble with chess, but it is very much fundamentally different that games like poker where the objective is to pass time and win money (and no, I'm not saying that’s all...just an example).

j-pax
AndyClifton schreef:

it was because of the quote of Karpov...  ok why could this quote makes sense or not could be A topic....

i'll have to think about this :)

TitanCG

I never had patients. Laughing

naturalproduct
waffllemaster wrote:

Musings can be fun, but I doubt they lead to a deeper understanding of chess... whatever that's supposed to mean.

You make your own goals through the discussion. It doesn't necessarily lead to, or have to lead to, some deep secret or insight. Hopefully you learn something about yourself through playing the game. And the discussion is what brings it to life and makes if fastening and real..

AndyClifton

I think philosophy is by and large (frankly) a bunch of self-important wanking.

naturalproduct

Got to go to meeting...be back

naturalproduct
AndyClifton wrote:

I think philosophy is by and large (frankly) a bunch of self-important wanking.

??

What does that even mean...lol