Forums

Plz help me learn these books.

Sort:
bladezii

A schedule to play is another subject.  I just gave a schedule to study on a 6 days a week basis.  Time schedule to play can be negotiated or traded off with time to study.  If you have a tournament on a given day.  That day is just devoted to playing the tournament and a review of your games.

Can't study on day... let's say day 4?  Fine, play that day.  Or whatever you want to do.  Go do something else, whatever it may be.  The next day of your study day is your NEW day 4, and your original day 5 got pushed to follow your new day 4, and so on.  I hope this helps.

Also, my take on blitz is that it can create some very very bad habits for normal time controls.  Whatever you think you can do with blitz, you can do by solving puzzles or solving end game problems or middle game problems, AND you can do that on a timer.

Blitz is fun, but I think that is it, just fun.  Game playing practice, IMHO, is better with longer time controls.  Practice being deliberate, patient, and calculating WITH NO RUSH or IMPULSE.  Controlling IMPULSE is crucial for avoiding blunders or overlooking a better plan or idea for YOU or for your OPPONENT.

Irontiger

Drop the opening books, now. They will do more harm than good.

Read the endgame book once, quickly, jumping parts that go over your head. Do that again one month later, then do not use it anymore for at least a year.

Read the "middlegame" books a couple of times, playing the games and not simply watching them passively.

And play chess between and after all this.

clarissala

@HolyKing Lol you clearly are cheating

1700 rating and you want to read a book called 'chess for kids'

Irontiger
clarissala wrote:

@HolyKing Lol you clearly are cheating

1700 rating and you want to read a book called 'chess for kids'

What a strong evidence. Humility is a quality, you know.

clarissala

Do you disagree with me? IMO Anyone that is rated 1700 would be able to tell which of those books would be helpful and which would not.

Irontiger

1700 in online chess, only about 1200 in blitz. Which means he is spending plenty of time to study what move he will do.

Don't get me wrong, it is a serious achievement to manage a 1700 online rating, and it's good that his analysis work gets rewarded. But he might still be a beginner.

NimzoRoy
paulgottlieb wrote:

I would slowly work my way through "Sharpen Your Tactics" and "Winning Chess Endings" first. If you master even half the material in these two books you will be a much better player.

You can also skip reading the opening books you have, and next time try giving the authors names of whatever books you're asking about 

clarissala

I see what you mean, it is possible he is just spending a lot of time on his moves, congratulations if this is the case...

jlconn

Wow, that's all great stuff bladezii, totally agree about blitz.

When players I help just have to play blitz, I recommend they do it on a day set aside for that, and preferably (if on Chess.com) only in tournaments.

bladezii

Thank you, jlconn.  I really hope what I wrote helps him, and I hope he listens.  There is a lot of wasted time when you don't organize yourself or don't understand the tools to improve.

join the group road to mastery

HolyKing

Thnx jlconn,bladezii, irontiger and al thoe who helped.

@clarilasse.

Actually im a kid . Not only that but nm danheisman recommends chess strategies for kids and he also says that one should not get fooled by the name