Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Tournament Prediction Game 2017 (PPP) 🡺 "World Cup 2017"

ThomasJEvans wrote:
    MSC157 wrote:
    Eseles wrote:

I'm wondering: In some questions (eg GK wins) people might get some points even if they didn't find the exact answer, but in others (eg GK points) they only get full points or zero. How do you decide about that?

"GK wins" gets you more points if you're closer to the right result. It's like decisive rapid/blitz games.  "GK position" is just about the right answer. All or nothing. "GK points" could be set like those decisive games, but I decided I don't wanna deal with half points etc, so I practically only made it a harder question, again, all or nothing.

Hope that explains it

You could have done the GK points by removing any half points, using a ROUNDDOWN formula (e.g. 8.5 would become 8), so if you're half a point out, it's treated as one point out.

Or just deduct one point for every half point that you're off by - so you get 1 point deducted if you guessed a score of 16.5 (actual score was 16), 3 points if you guessed 17.5, 8 points if you guessed 20...

I was actually thinking of Thomas' idea before the tournament, but decided it's not "fair" for those who predicted a draw closer to the actual result. Macer's idea is great... but it is as it is now tongue.png

Teacher, should we take all games (including tiebreaks) into account when answering the number of decisive games, or just classical games? I suppose it's the latter, but I'd rather ask than make a mistake.

kingofshedinjas wrote:

Teacher, should we take all games (including tiebreaks) into account when answering the number of decisive games, or just classical games? I suppose it's the latter, but I'd rather ask than make a mistake.

Dear disciple,

take only classical games into account, so the first two, which affect players' classical ratings. Thanks for the question, I clarified it more in the form now, too happy.png

MSC157 wrote:

I'd like some clarifications. How much time do we have for the predictions? At the beginning you write "Matches consists of two games (except for the final, which consists of four)." - but then you have a question in the end about the final round (3 rounds / 4 rounds / 4 rounds + tie-break) and I don't understand anything - what's up with the final round? Finally, what is that Pulpofhate doing above me in the standings?

grin.png

Eseles wrote:
    MSC157 wrote:

I'd like some clarifications. How much time do we have for the predictions? At the beginning you write "Matches consists of two games (except for the final, which consists of four)." - but then you have a question in the end about the final round (3 rounds / 4 rounds / 4 rounds + tie-break) and I don't understand anything - what's up with the final round? Finally, what is that Pulpofhate doing above me in the standings?

1. I will edit it tomorrow or later today, but I think it starts on Sep 2, so roughly 2 more weeks.
    2. Like the World Championship matches consist of 12 games (and can end earlier if score is big enough), there are 4 games in the final. 4 scheduled. But in case one finalist wins 2 games out of first 3, the score is 2.5-0.5 and there is no need of the final game. 
      In case one of the finalists scores +1 in for games (so, 1 win & 3 draws or +2-1=1), then there are 4 games with no need of tie-break.
    3. Pulpo was having an amazing tourney, so all fair and square, hehe wink.png tongue.png

thanks for all the answers happy.png

thumbup.png

@ MSC: I think it might be nice to predict the top 2 for this tournament, since the main thing people are competing for is a spot in the Candidates. But of course it's up to you.

macer75 wrote:

@ MSC: I think it might be nice to predict the top 2 for this tournament, since the main thing people are competing for is a spot in the Candidates. But of course it's up to you.

You're right, damn... Not sure what to do now, because your idea is indeed better and more fair maybe. Either top 2 or top 4 (since semi-final is enough for CT). I already have 10 people who submitted their predictions though and...

10 people are not a lot, perhaps you could make the change and message them

Blasphemy!! Pulpo a feira is the best dish on the world, seasoned with the best olive oil on the world.  Innocent

Pulpofeira wrote:

Blasphemy!! Pulpo a feira is the best dish on the world, seasoned with the best olive oil on the world.  

My fate is well known... https://youtu.be/ZNeq2Utm0nU

Online Now