Forums

Poor sport, or maybe just crazy.

Sort:
HowDoesTheHorseMove

I just finished a game on the live server that ended up as a pawn vs. queen endgame. I (black) had the queen. White only had his H pawn, which had never moved from h2. His king was on the other side of the board. He offered me a draw four times.

Does this kind of thing happen a lot? I have no pretentions about being a good player, but this was just insulting.

Lions
...Yeah you'll get this all the time.  Happens in correspondence too.  I was recently beating a player that before our game was undefeated and once I had him in a position where it was only a matter of moves until I would end up with a mating combo, sure enough he offered draw.  If it happens I just refuse the draw and then I never play with the person again afterwards.
dragondorf
ya thats happened to me maybe they just want you to accidentaly cilck on the yes button
sstteevveenn
Very harsh.  I hardly think offering a draw once, or even again a few moves later is worthy of blacklisting.  Every move, is obviously different. 
HowDoesTheHorseMove
sstteevveenn wrote: Very harsh.  I hardly think offering a draw once, or even again a few moves later is worthy of blacklisting.  Every move, is obviously different. 

You must not have read the entire posting. It was a forced mate, and one that any novice could see. Even after I took the pawn out of play, making it a king+queen vs. king endgame, he kept offering draws. This had nothing to do with position.

I'll also point out that I've been careful to keep my opponent's user name out of this discussion. I'm not "blacklisting" anyone, just venting a little. 

sstteevveenn
sorry, i was referring to #2 who sounded like he would never play anyone again who made a single draw offer from a losing position.  Maybe i misunderstood that though, since 'if it happens' could mean persistent draw offers as in your case, rather than the single offer he described. 
HowDoesTheHorseMove
sstteevveenn wrote: sorry, i was referring to #2 who sounded like he would never play anyone again who made a single draw offer from a losing position.  Maybe i misunderstood that though, since 'if it happens' could mean persistent draw offers as in your case, rather than the single offer he described. 

Ah - I thought you were refering to the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

yumyum
They do that ?
HowDoesTheHorseMove
CzarWithinMoons wrote:    Just to be safe one should offer a draw after every move, like the pros do.

I'm not nearly good enough to do that. Instead I offer to resign after every odd-numbered move, and it has served me well.

NotKasparov
After I declined a draw offer from an opponent who I was beating badly I asked him why he had offered the draw; was I about to witness some miraculous, game-tieing move from him?  His answer was that he was hoping I would accidentally click the "accept" button.
grensley
sometimes when a position is a draw (usually queen vs. queen) i will start getting impatient, and offering a draw every turn, along with an explanation as to why it is a draw.  Waiting for 50 moves in correspondence chess is torture.