Forums

Problems with Chess.com

Sort:
Reshevskys_Revenge

In at least 3 games today in blitz, I lost - no fault of my own.  A game would start, then after 1 or 2 moves another game popped up to be played putting me in 2 Blitz games at once.  I was unable delete them and their screens got smaller as I tried to do so.  All the while the clocks are ticking.  In at least 1 other game, I have no idea what happened except that it read I abandoned the game but the server never disconnected.  I have NEVER abondoned a game.  All I am trying to do is get back to 1671 in 10 min. Blitz, then I will quit.  There are too many problems with Blitz here.

-waller-

You must be starting 2 games at once accidentally. Even so, just don't move at all in one of the games and it will abort. You didn't do this, you started making moves in the games in question (made about 2 or 3 moves) and then just left them, which is abandoning them, be honest.

Reshevskys_Revenge

Waller -Thank you much for the advice! I cilck on "START GAME" and a game appears - we begin - then I can't see how I started another. I will be more careful in the future. By not abondoning them, I mean I never just quit on MY OWN instead of resigning.   You know, like if an opponent is losing and rather than finish, he just leaves.  However, my server has disconnected me and by the time I return - The game is closed - I lose.  Sometimes I have enough minutes to win, but it's classified as I abondoned the game.  I understand the problems with servers & computers but I was just surprised to see I was in simul Blitz games twice in a row.

scottya1223

I am just about done with this site for the second time and for good. I quit playing the computer on this site due to occasional "glitches" like the one I am going to describe. It is bad enough to deal with cheating adults in a match but a cheating computer? Are you serious? I am beating the computer on the expert level(not trying to brag just trying to get better) when black(computer), basically sacrifices its queen for no reason. I am already ahead materially and positionally. I go to capture its queen with my queen, and the computer basically locks the space preventing my capture of its queen with my queen. There is no check on my king in any way, either. When I played here before, things like this would occasionally happen. I stopped playing on this site several years ago due to frustration over issues like this. What does a computer get for a win at any cost? More memory, a better server, a faster processor.

Reshevskys_Revenge

Well, some of the problems I run into by playing ONLINE LIVE at not just this, but all the different sites around, is that the position freezes or even that MY own server bumps me off or goes down in the middle of a game.  This is why I am not playing live anymore (at least for a long while) except on the smaller sites where it doesn't matter if that happens.

jaclyn

@scottya1223- What browser and operating system are you using? Have you tried a cache clear?

You_Know_Poo

I think its a great site. I have looked for other sites and they dont provide even near enough comfort level. And playing two games simultaneosly is not a problem, its an option. U can play as many as u can/want.

If ur server bumps, then its not the site's fault.

DrFrank124c
Reshevskys_Revenge wrote:

Well, some of the problems I run into by playing ONLINE LIVE at not just this, but all the different sites around, is that the position freezes or even that MY own server bumps me off or goes down in the middle of a game.  This is why I am not playing live anymore (at least for a long while) except on the smaller sites where it doesn't matter if that happens.

Sometimes the problem lies with your own computer or server. Sometimes if you are using a cheap keyboard or mouse they can give you problems. Also who is your server? I hear that Verizon no longer cares about its copper wires because it makes more money off FIOS and wireless services. I would use wireless but they charge by the usage and I prefer unlimited usage that I get from plain old fashion DSL. As a result I have problems sometimes with my connection to the internet while playing a game and I lose through no fault of my own. 

You_Know_Poo

in the same bucket Frank.i too have lost many games(at times i used to loose half my games) due to disconnection. But the reason isnt chess.com. One, as you say, problems occur with the modem/router setup. Second, here we have frequent powercuts everyday and there is hardly any routine, so if there is no backup, down goes the game.

Reshevskys_Revenge

I use Firefox w/ an iMAC.  Safari (which comes w/ the iMAC) used to drop me almost every time I would try to make either a regular move or a conditional move (can't remember which one since I don't use Safari for this site anymore.)

NimzoRoy

http://www.chess.com/blog/NimzoRoy/diagnosing-and-fixing-internet-problems?_domain=old_blog_host&_parent=old_frontend_blog_view