Forums

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

Sort:
onthehouse

"Promoting pawns when you're ahead in material....rude?"

Probably no more rude than checkmating your opponent.

Chess is not necessarily a polite game. A war skirmish taking place on a battlefield of 64 squares. If the battle is lost and without hope, raise the white flag and resign.

caroni

Unless they can win on time I would consider it rude if I had multiple queens and they kept playing with a lone king and did not resign.  I would get 2,3, 4 Queens and "allow" them to bow out gracefully before having to checkmate so I do not run out of time.

patrick1286

keeping on fighting to the end is not bad

anonUGA

The only time I try and promote a pawn is when I am at a time disadvantage.  When I am the one at a material disadvantage and time is not a factor, I want to see an attempt to checkmate with the pieces available, otherwise I consider O to be a poor player and I try and play for a stalemate position. Many times I am on the verge of resigning only to have O start to push a pawn and that makes me wonder if O is capable of checkmating with just a queen or rook left as power pieces. I do agree that many times with just a bishop or knight advantage, the quick and merciful method is to get another queen.

patrick1286

i agree with eb orange

ClavierCavalier

Is this one considered rude by any one?  White starts with a queen vs. a rook.

Scottrf

Not rude, inefficient.

1. Qe8#

Spielkalb

Quite rude. But you know what's really rude? To start a game with 1.e4 to cowardly abuse White's unfair advantage of the first move. Play 1.Nc3!! 2.Nb1!!! instead to prove that you're a true-hearted gentleman!  

Rasparovov

http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=58353408
Just for fun 

Scottrf
Rasparovov wrote:

I win Tongue Out

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=412781399

RoarBomvik

Playing what you think is the objectively best move is never rude. The only exception is when you have a losing position - then you choose the continuation which leaves your opponent the greatest chances of going wrong.

The only rude move in online chess is not resigning when you have a totally lost position with no hopes of swindling.

BTW 2+ queens is 'dangerous' - you must play carefully to avoid stalemating your opponent!

danthemasterman

While playing ...the game we all love I would play it how you feel it , I would promote I think.

KeyserSzoze

am I a rude boy?

SmyslovFan

You're both players rated U1300. He had every right to play on and hope for you to blunder into a stalemate.

In fact, I wonder how many times you have actually blundered into stalemates. Even once would justify people playing out lost positions against you. At least this opponent used up less time than you did.

KeyserSzoze

we don't have time stamp here but I've used my time in the middle game

ClavierCavalier

What was the position when white played Ke5?

Pat_Zerr

I'm guessing something like the king was at f5, black queen moved to d3, then Ke5, then Kb4.  Or something.

KeyserSzoze
ClavierCavalier wrote:

What was the position when white played Ke5?

here is the position:

Fun starts after move 35

ponz111

I do not understand why this subject has so many posting as first of all it is a stupid question.

Starting with a stupid question what can you all find to talk about?  [ or maybe there are 200 posters like me questioning the stupidity of the whole subject?]

ozzie_c_cobblepot

@ponz111 It's called the bicycle shed effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson's_law_of_triviality