Forums

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

Sort:
Chess4001

just resign. lol

joseph_ward

My opinion:  If promoting to more queens gives you a faster checkmate, go for it.  If it's just to spite your opponent, it's probably rude.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Perhaps this thread asks the wrong question.

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=19617389

OldScribe2010

I believe you should try and win the game as quickly as possible, as long as doing so doesn't compromise your position and possibly cost you a win. I've actually Queened two pawns before because my opponent still had a very active Queen and I was so low on material that it would have been difficult (or impossible) to checkmate.

What's rude and unprofessional, however, is "toying" with your opponent when you have the game already sewn up. I'm sure in some parts of the world, that will get you hit in the mouth.

ozzie_c_cobblepot
OldScribe2010 wrote:

What's rude and unprofessional, however, is "toying" with your opponent when you have the game already sewn up. I'm sure in some parts of the world, that will get you hit in the mouth.

Not on the internet.

IOliveira
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Was that stalemate intentional or you just missed it?

112.Nf2# would win. Obviously you could win much earlier...

AlCzervik
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Ha Ha!! While looking at this game made me laugh, it's not funny if the opponent doesn't resign. As I wrote in a previous post, a waste of time.

browni3141

If you have to promote multiple times to continue enjoying the game, go for it. I can't imagine how it's rude if your opponent can end it any time he wants to. Mating with a KQ vs. K isn't fun at all, so make the game interesting with K+3N vs. K or something like that.

ozzie_c_cobblepot
The stalemate was actually a server bug. I entered a LOT of conditional moves, probably 25-30 of them, and then I come back to find out the game is a draw, with a position that I never had reached in my conditionals.
flatters1

I think we're done here.  Can we close this?

goldendog

If we lock it now how can some guy bump it in 2014 with their ground breaking insight?

StrategicPlay
thejackbauer wrote: I don't get why you would feel that's rude. You have the right to do play anything you want just like your opponent has the right to play on. I consider it more rude that your opponent does not resign in such a position. Anyways whenever put into that position I would try to get two bishops and practice that mate (it helps to have a back-up pawn somewhere just in case).  .. .. .. .. I agree with thejackbauer. If i were in such a position, I wouldn't hesitate to make a Bishop promotion and try a mate. And even if I do blunder, I promote the other Pawn to a Rook and finish the game. As for your situation, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't make a promotion. It's just another way to win. There's nothing bad in sweet torture, is there?
StevenBailey13

No- It's sensible! I don't consider not resigning or actually promoting rude.

timothyblack235

Nakamura vs Rybka with eight knights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbAzeDxxGuQ

Similar to the game EdwardT2 posted.

IOliveira

I just finished a game that is a good example on when promoting more than once is the easiest way to win. Anyone who feels offended when this happens to them should resign before the first queening. I was playing white.

WokeryWizard

I've done it on a few occasions (I mean like promoting to knights and bishops with two queens on the board) but seeing as my opponent would rather make nonsensical moves in lost positions to try and time me out I figure he deserves it!

SimonWebbsTiger

It depends. Against a beginner, I will not promote pawns and mate. In a mad time scramble, I'll queen because of the easy plan/"no need to think" provided to win. Against a similarly rated or higher rated opponent (with sufficient time on the clock) I will promote until they reisgn. As chris2212 puts it: one rude turn deserves another. When you are similar strength and the opponent keeps playing on in a lost position with no tricks (eg. stalemate, a trap, the hope of confusing the winning procedure), he deserves two queens breathing down his neck, fooling him he is going to be stalemated and then delivering mate. He can forget you buying him a pint and talking good naturedly about the game afterwards.

KingHawk

I had a Queen and pawn vs. a rook recently.  I couldn't get him with just the one queen so I made a second queen, made the win a snap.

erikido23
SimonWebbsTiger wrote:

It depends. Against a beginner, I will not promote pawns and mate. In a mad time scramble, I'll queen because of the easy plan/"no need to think" provided to win. Against a similarly rated or higher rated opponent (with sufficient time on the clock) I will promote until they reisgn. As chris2212 puts it: one rude turn deserves another. When you are similar strength and the opponent keeps playing on in a lost position with no tricks (eg. stalemate, a trap, the hope of confusing the winning procedure), he deserves two queens breathing down his neck, fooling him he is going to be stalemated and then delivering mate. He can forget you buying him a pint and talking good naturedly about the game afterwards.

My preferred technique in those situations is to promote the extra queen/queens and keep on hanging them until I once again only have one queen....

THere was one guy I was playing(in a friendly game mind you-when I didn't have that much time) and I was up a rook and a bishop and he kept playing on.  So I resigned, thanked him for the games and went off to talk to some other people in the club

DKof

One always has the extraordinary option of ignoring the dark intent of their opponent and deciding one's move as if; (A) the game of chess has rules and (B) the current position of the pieces is relevant.

Remember ... just 'cuz you're paranoid, doesn't mean THEY'RE not out to get ya!