Forums

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

Sort:
fyy0r

You have the right to promote as many pawns as you want into any piece you want to torture your opponent for as long as you want.  If he doesn't like it he should resign.   It was his fault for playing badly anyways.

graceout

There is no rudeness in chess -- only rules.  As long as you're making legal moves, no one has a right to complain.  I've had losing opponents walk away and let their clock run down (as close to rude as you can get) -- but I still offer a handshake - if I see them again.  Chess is also psycological -- and if racking up a few queens is intimidating, so be it.  As others have already stated, creating your own stalemate is the only potential drawback.

"Rude" is violating touchmove, asking for a take-back, or hoping no one notices that you're castling with a king that has already moved.  (Or crying about a 'mouse-slip'.)

chapablanca2000
[COMMENT DELETED]
graceout
AnthonyCG wrote:

Getting 20 rooks is really unnecessary. Just trap his king on one file and run the rook up and down the board. He should get the message then.

Umm.... you can't get more than 10 rooks ....
kyska00

If you consider the promotion of a pawn when ahead in material rude, you should also consider the continued playing of the game on the part of the person who is down in material even ruder.

waffllemaster

Hey I just though of an even better way.

Not only do you promote all your pawns, but then you sacrifice them 1 by 1 until you have just a king and a rook, and win from there Laughing

Seareader

I think it wastes time, but every player has a right to play as they would like without justification to others. If I wanted to get 4 queens and play around for a few minutes I shouldn't have to justify that to anyone who is not playing the game.

Trag55

If you're in a positon to promote multiple pawns, perhaps the question should be: Is it rude of your opponent not to resign?

ChessisGood

You can promote all the pieces you want, but keep in mind what will be the quickest path to mate. That's what's really important.

onthehouse

It is not rude to do any legal move which helps you to affect the check mate and win the game.  If your opponent is intimidated by your material advantage acquired by promoting pawns, he may choose to resign or play on, but to insinuate a foul on your part would be considered rude.

therottenrook

Personally, I do the following:

1. When I am behind against a strong player, I resign.  I think it's insulting to a strong player that you think he/she can't win in an obviously winning position.
  2. If someone doesn't resign against me, I'll promote as many queens as humanly possible. 
AaronSchloss

If you have mate, it's etiquette to take it. However, if the mate is nebulous, go ahead and promote a pawn. It depends on whether you feel you need it.

ekorbdal

Noble of you sir, but you may as well promote your pawn(s) to queens and finish your opponent off. Chess is an unforgiving game. There's no shame in it...

stubborn_d0nkey

http://blog.chess.com/stubborn_d0nkey/when-my-opponents-don

I have played other games with more queens as well, but I don't have them saved anywhere

finalunpurez

Why so serious? 

gintokichimaru
[COMMENT DELETED]
stubborn_d0nkey
alexlaw wrote:

Also please note allowing checkmate is probably better if it is in a few moves, after your opponent did a marvelous queen sacrifice to send your king to the middle of the board or something. However, if your opponent has two pawns + king vs king, you might as well resign

Yup, I agree with this. If your opponent earned a checkmate, give it to him if its there in a few moves.

netzach

Yes this whole topic ridiculous. Of course it is okay to promote pawns but also is dignified to respect your opponent & checkmate as soon as possible once sufficient material is amassed to do so.

To humiliate an opponent (especially a weaker-strengh player) with 4-Queens or 5-Bishops or suchlike is reprehensible.

Is conceited & bullying behaviour that only those without proper-manners would even consider.

stubborn_d0nkey
netzach wrote:

Yes this whole topic ridiculous. Of course it is okay to promote pawns but also is dignified to respect your opponent & checkmate as soon as possible once sufficient material is amassed to do so.

To humiliate an opponent (especially a weaker-strengh player) with 4-Queens or 5-Bishops or suchlike is reprehensible.

Is conceited & bullying behaviour that only those without proper-manners would even consider.

How is that bullying? That is not bullying. Can you say I resign/quit while being bullied and have it finished? No. Can you resign in chess before all that happens. Yes. Thats a big difference right there. Control.

I think there are people here who get that. You cannot force your opponent to "suffer" (if being up against 5 queens is suffering, at least one should be pretty), your opponent can end it at any time.

Now, I'm not saying that justifies doing it, and I'm not saying that it doesn't justify doing it, I'm just saying that it seems like people think the player with a lone king against 5 queens and whatnot is forced into that position. He/she never is. 

netzach
ciljettu wrote:
netzach wrote:

Well if an opponent wants to take the piss by not resigning in such a situation, I reserve the right to take the piss in return. If he is genuinely a beginner and unable to fathom what is going on I would be a bit kinder

No cjett. Weaker players maybe not resigning as been told to fight-on. That is no reason to humilate. Simple checkmate ASAP is enough.