Forums

Reasonable length of time for an adult to achieve 1500 elo in Classical Chess from scratch?

theendgame3
Firebrandx wrote:
theendgame3 wrote:

Thanks for everyones opinion.

Surely 3-4 years is maybe the average time?


Seems reasonable, although you can get there faster with a coach giving you one-on-one lessons and analysis of your games. Another method is to dedicate yourself to tactics training as anything below 1500 is 99.9% tactics.

thanks man

DerekDHarvey

4 quickplay games a day, five days a week for a year = 1,000 games is surely enough for anyone to grasp the game, otherwise they should play draughts.

brasileirosim

It depends a lot of your talent, and especially your approach to training.  I will recommend you to go to Chessable and begin learning seriously following books

Common Chess Patterns

The Checkmate Pattern Manual 

One Sweet and Short course for white (1.d4 by Barrish is very good) and one for black against 1.e4 (like Master the French Defense) and against everything but 1.e4 (like Colovic's Life Time Repertoire,  a terrific book by a GM).

If you don't have time do at least Common Chess Patterns and analyse your games.

Good luck. 

Ziryab

The 150 exercises in this book are well-selected, and the book's glossary of tactics is one of the best available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/107649269X/

 

 

theendgame3
brasileirosim wrote:

It depends a lot of your talent, and especially your approach to training.  I will recommend you to go to Chessable and begin learning seriously following books

Common Chess Patterns

The Checkmate Pattern Manual 

One Sweet and Short course for white (1.d4 by Barrish is very good) and one for black against 1.e4 (like Master the French Defense) and against everything but 1.e4 (like Colovic's Life Time Repertoire,  a terrific book by a GM).

If you don't have time do at least Common Chess Patterns and analyse your games.

Good luck. 

Thanks bro

theendgame3
Ziryab wrote:

The 150 exercises in this book are well-selected, and the book's glossary of tactics is one of the best available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/107649269X/

 

 

gonna try and get all your 4 books on amazon Z- great bargains, sorry for the late reply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Stripes/e/B06XQVF46K?ref_=dbs_p_pbk_r00_abau_000000

 

Firebrandx
ZackShade wrote:
brasileirosim wrote:

Some people reach this goal within days using an engine in rapid games. If you are below 1500 you are definitely not cheating, and this is something you can be proud about. Some people will use engines “only” sporadically in a game. Nevertheless, it is better to play rapid instead of blitz, even if you have probably a higher chance to be crushed by a computer. I stopped with blitz and will begin playing 15 + 10, one game every day, with a careful analysis afterwards. 

It is absolutely cheating to use an engine. What’s wrong with you ?


He wasn't suggesting using an engine. He was suggesting to 'brave' playing rapid games even though you will likely encounter more engine users than in blitz.

50kg
theendgame3 wrote:

I know this has been discussed before and is hard to answer but some fresh opinions please. Is 4 years for 1500 reasonable?  Also how long to get to 1700+. Thanks guys. 

1500 in 4 years it's extremely slow. 

It's possible to get to 1700 from 1500 in few months.

Eric-2
50kg a écrit :
theendgame3 wrote:

I know this has been discussed before and is hard to answer but some fresh opinions please. Is 4 years for 1500 reasonable?  Also how long to get to 1700+. Thanks guys. 

1500 in 4 years it's extremely slow. 

It's possible to get to 1700 from 1500 in few months.

With a coach ;most peoples never get to 1500 uscf in their life!  only 25% in the usa chess federation.

And very few ever get 1700 uscf! only 20%

Who can afford a coach?  not 2/3 of the chess players for sure!

My point is even in a club the vast majority quit before even getting to 1500 because it's too much work (time invested) to get there ( 2-3 years).

http://www.uschess.org/archive/ratings/ratedist.php

So very slow for who? the 25% that get there? and in a few months for who?

theendgame3
Eric-2 wrote:
50kg a écrit :
theendgame3 wrote:

I know this has been discussed before and is hard to answer but some fresh opinions please. Is 4 years for 1500 reasonable?  Also how long to get to 1700+. Thanks guys. 

1500 in 4 years it's extremely slow. 

It's possible to get to 1700 from 1500 in few months.

With a coach ;most peoples never get to 1500 uscf in their life!  only 25% in the usa chess federation.

And very few ever get 1700 uscf! only 20%

Who can afford a coach?  not 2/3 of the chess players for sure!

My point is even in a club the vast majority quit before even getting to 1500 because it's too much work (time invested) to get there ( 2-3 years).

http://www.uschess.org/archive/ratings/ratedist.php

So very slow for who? the 25% that get there? and in a few months for who?

what would you say eric from scratch- just a guess bro

Eric-2
theendgame3 a écrit :
Eric-2 wrote:
50kg a écrit :
theendgame3 wrote:

I know this has been discussed before and is hard to answer but some fresh opinions please. Is 4 years for 1500 reasonable?  Also how long to get to 1700+. Thanks guys. 

1500 in 4 years it's extremely slow. 

It's possible to get to 1700 from 1500 in few months.

With a coach ;most peoples never get to 1500 uscf in their life!  only 25% in the usa chess federation.

And very few ever get 1700 uscf! only 20%

Who can afford a coach?  not 2/3 of the chess players for sure!

My point is even in a club the vast majority quit before even getting to 1500 because it's too much work (time invested) to get there ( 2-3 years).

http://www.uschess.org/archive/ratings/ratedist.php

So very slow for who? the 25% that get there? and in a few months for who?

what would you say eric from scratch- just a guess bro

None for most to get to 1500 uscf....now since 25% get there a guess would be without a coach and without 1-2 hours of daily working hard on it by analysing their games etc..." i would say looking at my friends that are playing on and off and looking at videos and learning some openings....around 2-3 years...and  1500 slow games unless they are very smart! (that is for a 1400 Fide elo).

Now for 1700 uscf add another 18 months! for most of the 20% that get there;of course there are always exception!

Note that i used the uscf rating because it's easier!