Forums

Relationship between Chess rating and I.Q?

Sort:
Ziryab
bobby_max wrote:

Bobby Fischer had an IQ of 180. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know, nothing will.

More speculative nonsense. If this were true, Frank Brady could source it. He failed.

putshort
It was in the New York Times. So it’s a reported fact.
Ziryab
putshort wrote:
It was in the New York Times. So it’s a reported fact.

The New York Times sourced the claim. They said that it was Frank Brady’s assertion. It is a fact that Brady makes the claim in his two biographies of Fischer. It is not a fact that Brady is correct.

Optimissed

It's my belief that Fischer didn't do an IQ test and the 180 was estimated.

Optimissed
Adwaitdhole1 wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
Kasporav is not smarter than Einstein

Einstein wasn't as smart as you may imagine. There have been many cleverer scientists.

Ziryab
Optimissed wrote:

In one of Brady’s books, he offers the claim that a counselor at his school saw some standardized test scores upon which this estimate is based. The school employee is not named, nor is the standardized test. AFAIK, no standardized test given in schools in the 1950s included IQ scores in the results. Nor could such a test yield an IQ score that high.

Alexey_Vostroknutov

Martin_Stahl 
If you feel like another member is using disallowed resources you should report them directly to staff, not in the forums.

https://support.chess.com/article/209-how-do-i-report-someone

Public accusations are not allowed and discussions about cheating or potential cheating are not allowed in the general forums.about cheating

I remind you that bots and any manipulations related to security directly with a person are also prohibited, I did not agree with any rules chess.com further, for all actions, opposites are laid down for all those events that cannot be changed or canceled, for all people directly who believe in justice, and such people are the majority in everything in the world, including in the USA, I see that no actions related to my request have followed, so they will be responsible chess.com , USA, or give me back the time spent on the game and my missed opportunities, and keep your tone to yourself, I don't care what you want to impose, I remind you how many people you deceived with the help of such bots for your interests, I think these people will also want to return their time and missed opportunities, and this will affect all people in the USA who were deceived one way or another they will want justice and return their time from birth, I don't care about the theory of Freud or Jung, but for you it acts like the scroll of the Pentateuch and its rollers 2-1 and you use it, controlling the subconscious of others, I hope you understand what consequences await you all?So show diplomacy and a respectful tone to the person who can deserve this, otherwise everything will collapse like a house of cards!

theswooze
bobby_max wrote:

Bobby Fischer had an IQ of 180. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know, nothing will.

When asked about the relationship between chess and intelligence, Bobby Fischer said, "the only thing being good at chess means is that you are good at chess." If THAT doesnt tell you all you need to know, nothing will.

Optimissed
Ziryab wrote:
Optimissed wrote:

In one of Brady’s books, he offers the claim that a counselor at his school saw some standardized test scores upon which this estimate is based. The school employee is not named, nor is the standardized test. AFAIK, no standardized test given in schools in the 1950s included IQ scores in the results. Nor could such a test yield an IQ score that high.

I remember reading a rather hazy account which was similar. It claims that someone saw some answers to test questions and from those results made a guess at his likely IQ. I do not think that the guess was 180 but that isn't important, since it was not a controlled test in any way.

mpaetz
Optimissed wrote:

Fischer (and all other children in New York City in the 1950s) did take an IQ test. Those test results were confidential, have never been released, and by now no longer exist.

ciano_1101

Substantially, the formula for the iq is in fact wrong. If you Do the math: if elo=2000, then IQ= 100+(15x(2000-1200) /200). So, IQ=100+(15x800/200). Finally, IQ=100+60, so IQ=160, which means a 2000 will have an IQ of 160, which is highly debetable. This means that I, which have an elo of 1113 rapid I'd have an IQ below 100 (which isn't true in any way). This formulae are complitely wrong, in my opinion.

mpaetz

Inasmuch as the basic assumption--that chess rating and IQ are directly linked--is wrong there is no way to come up with a workable formula.

Optimissed
mpaetz wrote:
Optimissed wrote:

Fischer (and all other children in New York City in the 1950s) did take an IQ test. Those test results were confidential, have never been released, and by now no longer exist.

In common with the other children in my county in the UK I took an IQ test when I was 9. As you say, the results were confidential. I was told, however, that I was the second highest recorded IQ in the county and it was "over x amount" and that's all they'd say. They made a long trip to look at me for that reason, apparently.

Optimissed
mpaetz wrote:

Inasmuch as the basic assumption--that chess rating and IQ are directly linked--is wrong there is no way to come up with a workable formula.

Indeed, I spent an hour looking at it and concluded that it's completely impossible to produce a genuine formula and all that is possible is to produce an artificial formula which would be the mathematical expression of known correlations. To do it properly, it would be necessary to understand which mental factors produce which results regarding chess ability and that isn't known ... only guessed at. Then it would only be a matter of weighting the theory correctly, rather as in Game Theory.

Ziryab
Optimissed wrote:
mpaetz wrote:

Indeed, I spent an hour looking at it and concluded that it's completely impossible to produce a genuine formula and all that is possible is to produce an artificial formula which would be the mathematical expression of known correlations. To do it properly, it would be necessary to understand which mental factors produce which results regarding chess ability and that isn't known ... only guessed at. Then it would only be a matter of weighting the theory correctly, rather as in Game Theory.

As rare as it is, there seems to be some agreement between the two of you and to which I also assent.

Optimissed

Indeed. happy.png

SmyslovFan

Yeah, I was surprised to read some fairly coherent and restrained comments in this thread this morning! This thread is usually rife with hyperbole and bragging.

It's a pleasant surprise to see agreement!

Stefan_Belarus

Прывітанне усім з Беларусі!happy

Stefan_Belarus

pin