Require Increment For Rated Games

CoffeeAnd420

I have to get ready to go out and do some stuff but I thought I'd post this here because it would alleviate this discrepancy of "player a has a 1600 rating but it was compiled playing 5+5 blitz while player b has an 1800 blitz but it was compiled playing nothing but 3/0 and 5/0 practice games". It's silly to group guys who play nothing but non increment in with those who play real chess. Solution: If the game doesn't have at least a 2 second increment in blitz and a 5 second increment in rapid - It can't be rated. This way, everyone will be forced to face reality, play real chess, and then see where they stand. The 3/0 and 5/0 guys will obviously have a TON to go back and learn now since they just skipped all of it to chase some weird speed fetish that has nothing to do with chess but that's their problem. Naturally, the players who spent their time playing and studying real chess will flourish. 

 

Let's implement this immediately, please. 

DeirdreSkye

You are right but it's not gonna happen.

Waredude
While I disagree with your suggestion, this is an interesting idea. Perhaps a simple divider would suffice? Like say that under blitz there is a section that shows increment stats vs non increment stats, but still keep only the one rating.
Preggo_Basashi

I've heard people say it's the opposite.

They say increment lets kids (or fast players) never run out of time, while old players are perfectly capable of running out of time with increment... so the advice to old players was never play increment that way the clocks are fair tongue.png

madratter7

Play what you like and let others compare the ratings any way they want to do so. It isn't like they mean all that much anyway. Personally, I won't play blitz without an increment.

 

In one of the recent titled Tuesdays, I watched a GM, Simon Williams get flagged when he had a simple checkmate 2 moves away. I personally don't need or want that kind of stupidity. But I'm not about to dictate what others do.

Preggo_Basashi

But yeah, I like to play with no increment, 3|0 and 1|0, because there's less to worry about... as long as I'm keeping pace on the clock I have chances to survive a bad position.

CoffeeAnd420
Preggo_Basashi wrote:

But yeah, I like to play with no increment, 3|0 and 1|0, because there's less to worry about

 

And as a result, it promotes lazy calculation and play. Guys drop pawns left and right in non increment since they won't come into play in the endgame if there's very little clock left. Guys allow intrusion squares, miss mates in 2 (GMs), and point blank - the games don't resemble increment games whatsoever. Probably why FIDE doesn't hold a competitive game w/o an increment at this point. 

 

 

Preggo_Basashi

Yeah, good point, FIDE rapid and blitz championships are played with increment (AFAIK).

Preggo_Basashi

I mean... OTB it's a little different since having to physically move the pieces around saps time off your clock every move, but still.

madratter7

To be clear, in the example I gave, Simon Williams saw the checkmate. He simply didn't have time to execute it. That is life w/o an increment. Blah!

Kemp7

 Incremental chess just doesn't get that blood pumping, so no thanks.

locrianmenace
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:

I have to get ready to go out and do some stuff but I thought I'd post this here because it would alleviate this discrepancy of "player a has a 1600 rating but it was compiled playing 5+5 blitz while player b has an 1800 blitz but it was compiled playing nothing but 3/0 and 5/0 practice games". It's silly to group guys who play nothing but non increment in with those who play real chess. Solution: If the game doesn't have at least a 2 second increment in blitz and a 5 second increment in rapid - It can't be rated. This way, everyone will be forced to face reality, play real chess, and then see where they stand. The 3/0 and 5/0 guys will obviously have a TON to go back and learn now since they just skipped all of it to chase some weird speed fetish that has nothing to do with chess but that's their problem. Naturally, the players who spent their time playing and studying real chess will flourish. 

 

Let's implement this immediately, please. 

What are you even talking about? Your blitz rating is around 1050, yet you claim you play real chess just because of increments?

CoffeeAnd420
locrianmenace wrote:
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:

I have to get ready to go out and do some stuff but I thought I'd post this here because it would alleviate this discrepancy of "player a has a 1600 rating but it was compiled playing 5+5 blitz while player b has an 1800 blitz but it was compiled playing nothing but 3/0 and 5/0 practice games". It's silly to group guys who play nothing but non increment in with those who play real chess. Solution: If the game doesn't have at least a 2 second increment in blitz and a 5 second increment in rapid - It can't be rated. This way, everyone will be forced to face reality, play real chess, and then see where they stand. The 3/0 and 5/0 guys will obviously have a TON to go back and learn now since they just skipped all of it to chase some weird speed fetish that has nothing to do with chess but that's their problem. Naturally, the players who spent their time playing and studying real chess will flourish. 

 

Let's implement this immediately, please. 

What are you even talking about? Your blitz rating is around 1050, yet you claim you play real chess just because of increments?

 

Your blitz rating doesn't mean anything unless it was compiled through playing games with increments. The fact that you, personally, have a higher bullet rating than your blitz and rapid means you're a total joke. You literally haven't recorded stats on here that matter yet. Everything you play is that 3/0 and 1/0 garbage that nobody takes seriously. Chess isn't a game of "who can hold out and not get mated before their opponent's clock runs out!" but that's all you play on here.

CoffeeAnd420
Kemp7 wrote:

 Incremental chess just doesn't get that blood pumping, so no thanks.

 

It gets the "blood pumping" more than non increment where the game just ends abruptly when you're losing and you get the "win" because your opponent flagged. If flag wins in non increment games are your thing - You're really not a chess player and should find something else. Again: This fast, adrenaline pumping, non increment blitz that's entirely decided by the clock, is not chess. It's a weird speed variant of it. It literally means nothing.

Preggo_Basashi

Not sure it "means nothing."

Pretty sure I could play a GM 100 or 1000 games, but never win one if the time control is 10|0, for example.

CoffeeAnd420
Preggo_Basashi wrote:

Not sure it "means nothing."

Pretty sure I could play a GM 100 or 1000 games, but never win one if the time control is 10|0, for example.

 

That doesn't really have any relevance here. It "means nothing" regardless of who you personally can or can't beat. 

locrianmenace
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:
locrianmenace wrote:
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:

I have to get ready to go out and do some stuff but I thought I'd post this here because it would alleviate this discrepancy of "player a has a 1600 rating but it was compiled playing 5+5 blitz while player b has an 1800 blitz but it was compiled playing nothing but 3/0 and 5/0 practice games". It's silly to group guys who play nothing but non increment in with those who play real chess. Solution: If the game doesn't have at least a 2 second increment in blitz and a 5 second increment in rapid - It can't be rated. This way, everyone will be forced to face reality, play real chess, and then see where they stand. The 3/0 and 5/0 guys will obviously have a TON to go back and learn now since they just skipped all of it to chase some weird speed fetish that has nothing to do with chess but that's their problem. Naturally, the players who spent their time playing and studying real chess will flourish. 

 

Let's implement this immediately, please. 

What are you even talking about? Your blitz rating is around 1050, yet you claim you play real chess just because of increments?

 

Your blitz rating doesn't mean anything unless it was compiled through playing games with increments. The fact that you, personally, have a higher bullet rating than your blitz and rapid means you're a total joke. You literally haven't recorded stats on here that matter yet. Everything you play is that 3/0 and 1/0 garbage that nobody takes seriously. Chess isn't a game of "who can hold out and not get mated before their opponent's clock runs out!" but that's all you play on here.

Nope, I only played a handful of bullet games compared to blitz. And my rapid rating is higher than yours as well.

Preggo_Basashi
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:
Preggo_Basashi wrote:

Not sure it "means nothing."

Pretty sure I could play a GM 100 or 1000 games, but never win one if the time control is 10|0, for example.

 

That doesn't really have any relevance here. It "means nothing" regardless of who you personally can or can't beat. 

So a 2500 blitz rating will not lose once to me, but the rating "means nothing?"

CoffeeAnd420
locrianmenace wrote:
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:
locrianmenace wrote:
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:

I have to get ready to go out and do some stuff but I thought I'd post this here because it would alleviate this discrepancy of "player a has a 1600 rating but it was compiled playing 5+5 blitz while player b has an 1800 blitz but it was compiled playing nothing but 3/0 and 5/0 practice games". It's silly to group guys who play nothing but non increment in with those who play real chess. Solution: If the game doesn't have at least a 2 second increment in blitz and a 5 second increment in rapid - It can't be rated. This way, everyone will be forced to face reality, play real chess, and then see where they stand. The 3/0 and 5/0 guys will obviously have a TON to go back and learn now since they just skipped all of it to chase some weird speed fetish that has nothing to do with chess but that's their problem. Naturally, the players who spent their time playing and studying real chess will flourish. 

 

Let's implement this immediately, please. 

What are you even talking about? Your blitz rating is around 1050, yet you claim you play real chess just because of increments?

 

Your blitz rating doesn't mean anything unless it was compiled through playing games with increments. The fact that you, personally, have a higher bullet rating than your blitz and rapid means you're a total joke. You literally haven't recorded stats on here that matter yet. Everything you play is that 3/0 and 1/0 garbage that nobody takes seriously. Chess isn't a game of "who can hold out and not get mated before their opponent's clock runs out!" but that's all you play on here.

Nope, I only played a handful of bullet games compared to blitz. And my rapid rating is higher than yours as well.

 

You still seem to be confused: You haven't been playing non increment games so none of your ratings mean anything. And I can assure you that when I put as much time into the game as you have (on my way) I'll be considerably higher rated. Once again, you guys like to just pretend that experience has no bearing on current rating. 

 

No increment in the game? Doesn't count. Waste of time.

CoffeeAnd420
Preggo_Basashi wrote:
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:
Preggo_Basashi wrote:

Not sure it "means nothing."

Pretty sure I could play a GM 100 or 1000 games, but never win one if the time control is 10|0, for example.

 

That doesn't really have any relevance here. It "means nothing" regardless of who you personally can or can't beat. 

So a 2500 blitz rating will not lose once to me, but the rating "means nothing?"

 

Right, and it has absolutely nothing to do with what we're discussing here.