Forums

Sore losers

Sort:
jayddub

I don't if the subject has been raised before but I'm getting sick of sore losers.  I've had 3 games this evening where my opponent has let the clock run down for over 25 mins in 30 minute games only after a few moves. 

Reading on their notes, it's obvious that they've done it before.  It usually happens with tricksters who dance their Queen around in the opening, lose tempo, then quit. 

Do any players actually get banned for this or do I have to put up with it forever?  I have always considered chess as being a noble game but there seem to be some real idiots out there.

I understand that it must be hard for site admin to police this kinda thing as we all suffer disconnections and problems beyond our control every now and then so they must get quite a few notifications (I assume they're notified?). 

I'd love to see a REPORT button that you can hit when someone's playing the fool. This would provide a proactive way of getting rid of these people who are ruining it for everyone else. 

Phew, rant over.

Thoughts anyone?

FairPlayPlease

I would say, their time, what they do with it is up to them... it sucks but perhaps you should play shorter games.

Likhit1

I disconnect sometimes too due to bad internet but doing such a thing intentionally is unacceptable.I don't agree that that they can do what they want with their time.Let them just play or resign,sitting there without playing a move is just wrong.They're just being jerks.Though i believe they get banned for doing this too often.

AndyClifton
jayddub wrote:

I don't know if the subject has been raised before but I'm getting sick of sore losers...

lol

swaption

I thought this thread was going to be about Kasparov when I clicked in

royalbishop

If we had no sore losers here we have no staff an everything would be automated. Think about!

Would Chess.com be #1 without sore losers as they have in some strange way contributed to this site?

royalbishop
jayddub wrote:

I don't if the subject has been raised before but I'm getting sick of sore losers.  I've had 3 games this evening where my opponent has let the clock run down for over 25 mins in 30 minute games only after a few moves. 

Reading on their notes, it's obvious that they've done it before.  It usually happens with tricksters who dance their Queen around in the opening, lose tempo, then quit. 

Do any players actually get banned for this or do I have to put up with it forever?  I have always considered chess as being a noble game but there seem to be some real idiots out there.

I understand that it must be hard for site admin to police this kinda thing as we all suffer disconnections and problems beyond our control every now and then so they must get quite a few notifications (I assume they're notified?). 

I'd love to see a REPORT button that you can hit when someone's playing the fool. This would provide a proactive way of getting rid of these people who are ruining it for everyone else. 

Phew, rant over.

Thoughts anyone?

Well we have to give it a name:

The 30 Minute Trap - as it waisted all your time and your stuck sitting there as your opponent may at any moment move and if your careless you might leave for a while as take your attention away from the game or just not come back. Then return and find yourself in serious trouble!

Just open another window and do something else when this happens to avoid frustration. Another solution as you mentioned ..... look on their profile page and see if you find comment refering to this type of behavior during those type games. The only to avoid what i call ....

...... The Time Trap!

steve_bute

Here's a thought ... you resign and start another game. It's not like your entry into heaven or hell depends on your chess.com rating. If you're here to play chess, then play and stop worrying about your rating.

royalbishop

If you resign when they use what i call "The Time Trap" they win and it will only say to them this works and not only will they continue to use it but others will see it as a good option.

People only continue to do things that work, counter it and it ends. Methods mentioned in comment #7.

landwehr

I suggest a golden rule would be 'Dont play 30 minute games' instead blitz will save you time and angst!

ChessChallenger54321

Isn't there a big chance if they run their clock down that you would win on time anyway?

landwehr
chessdude362 wrote:

Isn't there a big chance if they run their clock down that you would win on time anyway?

that is obvious but it is the damn inconvenience and rudeness of letting the clock run so far down.

A2ZGUY

Same thing happens in 10 minute games.

Once they feel they can't win, they don't resign but let the clock run out and you have no option. 

steve_bute
royalbishop wrote:

If you resign when they use what i call "The Time Trap" they win and it will only say to them this works and not only will they continue to use it but others will see it as a good option.

What do they win? Rating points that don't matter, while not getting better at chess? You, on the other hand, resign once the situation is clear and get to play chess without wasting 25+ minutes of your life.

steve_bute

Ratings at chess.com do not:

(1) Get you into hell or heaven, although I must admit this is only a guess.

(2) Get you complimentary service in Vegas. This is not a guess.

(3) Speed you though Customs.

(4) Exempt you from Al Qaeda's hatred.

(5) Feed your children. Anyone's children.

(6) Clean up soggy dog poo after the snow melts in the spring.

billyblatt

Block them. Stop wasting your time and stressing yourself out. There is 7 million players here. I am sure you'll find a good opponent.

The thing about these sore losers is that there are only a handful of them, and they do that with everyone. 

Play with players who are rated slightly better than you. That way they play good moves, and you learn something, even if you lose.

Otherwise you get sucked into other peoples craziness. 

Good luck. And hope you get better games...

Ubik42
Pelikan_Player wrote:

Don't play correspondence chess. Imagine someone dragging out a lost game for six months lol. Of course you can play a ton of CC games at the same time (unlike live chess) so it really doesn't matter

Itys only in live chess that this is a problem. Who cares if they do it in correspondence chess, it doesn't force you to hang out at the screen like live chess would.

Ubik42

Lets merge this thread with the one that says "Lets raise the block limit to 2 million"

losingmove
swaption wrote:

I thought this thread was going to be about Kasparov when I clicked in

Everyone's a comedian!

Ubik42
Pelikan_Player wrote:

@Ubik42 - Was comparing the annoyance factor when people refuse to resign lost games in blitz and correspondence chess. In blitz, the annoyance level is high for a brief (relatively speaking) period of time while in CC, it's usually low but for a much longer time.

The amount of time that's wasted in each case could end up the same if the CC player who's losing plays til mate and forces his opponent to continue making moves. Not as annoying as sitting in front of a blank screen for eight minutes but surely the live chess player in that situation can open another window and do something else.

Well everyone has a different response, to me letting the clock run in a live game is very annoying; you have to be at the ready even though it isnt your move. In CC it just never bothers me at all, the only time I have to pay attention is when it is my move, which is exactly the same as in any other game. In fact, in CC it is really impossible for me to tell its going on.