Stagnating at 1500 tactical rating. Help needed.

kingslayer5509
I have done about 1000 tactics on this site and am presently stagnating at 1500. I begin to ascend in the 1550s range and then come crashing down again. What am I doing wrong ? Should I a. Continue, try harder and calculate better b. Get a book like "Think like a grandmaster" or Aagard's calculation c. Try alternative means if training. Any Advice is appreciated. Thanks.
DeirdreSkye

It does annoy you that you can't go past 1500 tactics rating but it doesn't annoy you that you are still a 1300 player. Tactics alone are not enough , don't listen to myths that chess is 99% tactics , it's not. Chess is a lot of things and tactics is only one of them.

Study endgames , study the great masters , play only long time control games and always analyse them. Determine your deficiencies and try to fix them. If you don't do all that , tactics training can't help you. Tactics training alone is just a videogame. 

kingslayer5509

DeirdreSkye wrote:

It does annoy you that you can't go past 1500 tactics rating but it doesn't annoy you that you are still a 1300 player. Tactics alone are not enough , don't listen to myths that chess is 99% tactics , it's not. Chess is a lot of things and tactics is only one of them.

Study endgames , study the great masters , play only long time control games and always analyse them. Determine your deficiencies and try to fix them. If you don't do all that , tactics training can't help you. Tactics training alone is just a videogame. 

Tactics training alone is just a videogame.  Well said

kingslayer5509

DeirdreSkye wrote:

Tactics training alone is just a videogame.  Well said

OliberthReyes

You are in the 80% percentile, that's kind of good, don't you think? 

Besides, the better you are, the harder is to level up.

torrubirubi
Tactics training is very important, you are doing well. Everything over 1300 is rather good already. The better you get, the better your opponents are.

Try to find out which kind of mistakes, inaccurate, blunders you are doing. This job is not easy, and it would be in any case better to have the help of a strong player - using engines is of course helpful, but it is extremely important to go through your games without an engine first.

You can leave the engine running without looking he lines, only watching when "something" happen in the game. (When the evaluation changes drastically). There you have to think long enough to find the best continuation.

A good analysis will take several hours per game. But the learning effect is huge.

Better players than you are better in different aspects of the game. Perhaps you have to take more seriously the endgames and openings. You can try to learn this in Chessable. For me it is very useful and I improves there all aspects of my game (but strategy).

I am going through games played by Aljechin, commented by Kotov. Perhaps you should do the same. Find an author with a similar repertoire and style like you.

And don't be too focus on the rating. Have fun in playing and training, and you will see the progress.

Good luck!
torrubirubi
Something else: if you really are serious about improving you should play Daily Chess.

Yesterday I spent almost 3 hours to find the best continuation in a game. I usually play one to three games at the same time, not more. Make notes on your ideas, write everything you see in the position. You will safe a lot of time if you can read these notes next day.
captain222

Tactics are very important in chess but they are not the only thing you should be focusing on.

popapopips

im at 2000 tactics get rekt

IMBacon
kingslayer5509 wrote:
I have done about 1000 tactics on this site and am presently stagnating at 1500. I begin to ascend in the 1550s range and then come crashing down again. What am I doing wrong ? Should I a. Continue, try harder and calculate better b. Get a book like "Think like a grandmaster" or Aagard's calculation c. Try alternative means if training. Any Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Ater looking at some of your games.  The issue loks like youre playing to fast.  Try slower time controls of at least G30, but preferably longer.  It wont matter how many tactics you do, if youre playing a time control that does allow you enough time to implement what youre learning.

BobbyTalparov

kingslayer5509 wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to guess the moves instead of calculating. Contrary to what some claim, if you practice tactics correctly (do not make a move until you see the whole solution) you end up practicing your calculation and visualization skills. Guessing is like a video game and will leave you stagnating (you can see that with my own record: when I am focused, I break 2000 easily ... when I am solving tactics during long conference calls, I miss too many problems).

MetalRatel

I think Aagaard's Calculation would be too advanced. I would consider the Yusupov series (Build Up Your Chess) instead. This is challenging enough to stretch your ability, yet accessible enough to build a foundation from incremental successes. Don't worry too much about the ratings. It's important to attempt calculation of the solutions to the end before choosing the first move of these exercises. If you don't find the best move, try to find any flaws in your calculation before moving on. Try not to guess the first move on intuition, as tempting as that may be. Check your moves like you would in an actual game. That's one of the most common mistakes I see at this level. There's a rush to recognize patterns to quickly get rating points, but not enough reflection on the accuracy of calculation. The quality of your analysis will determine your strength as a player.