Forums

Takeback Request Option

Sort:
johnmusacha

Another reason i make mouse slips is that a lot of the time in live games I play drunk and/or high . . . so if being drunk/high isnt an excuse for bad behavior in real life, it shouldn't be an excuse for a chess game either.

rwhcj225

From someone who just gave up their Queen, because I missed seeing the Knight that could take it, I would love to have a takeback, But, to me, that would ruin the whole meaning of the game. I made a  mistake. I have to suffer the   consequences. Oh how it hurt. 

TheGrobe

If it registered the result, adjusted the ratings, and then let you carry on with the game unrated it might be a pretty good compromise.

himath2009
TheGrobe wrote:

If it registered the result, adjusted the ratings, and then let you carry on with the game unrated it might be a pretty good compromise.

A Compromesso Storico... 

This is a fine idea!  And one that takes care of most concerns regarding the improper use (esp. in matches or tournaments) of a take-back option - while, at the same time giving the opportunity to players who may so wish to carry on with their game.

As for the general (non-ratings related) abuse mentioned in various notes above, I think this is a serious problem and has nothing to do with any particular function or option.  Those keen on abusing someone do not need a take-back, or any other excuse for that matter, for being  stupid, rude or indecent - it is genetic and irreversible.

TheGrobe

Having it registered as a loss before continuing should certainly work to disincentivize abuse of this particular feature.

HighNoon52

I've never liked the idea of takeback (unless you're playing an unrated game and you want to study a certain opening or situation with a friend or something like that - running through different permutations, etc.) - that being said, the only takeback I've ever had was when I was learning to play on another chess website (a friend was showing me around and we played a practice game) - I had a legit mouseslip due to being unfamiliar with the controls and I messaged him saying something like "Gahhhhh - mouseslip!" as I had basically thrown away a winning endgame.   He then offered me a takeback which I accepted - even in that situation I was uncomfortable with accepting a takeback.   I like Grobe's idea - that would definitely satisfy those who want to complete an otherwise good game while discouraging abuse of takeback requests.

Here_Is_Plenty

I had someone in a Glasgow League match over the board this season ask for a takeback.  He knew he would not get it though and was trying to psych me out as he was leaving a piece en prise and was trying to make me think he had made a mistake but if I took it I would have been crucified.  Brat.  Beat his sorry ass eventually.

waffllemaster

Played on one online site that gave the option of setting # of takebacks.  This was an option just like time.  The # of takebacks were given to each player, and it was not a request.  On your opponents move you could force a takeback by clicking the button.  After your opponent had moved the option was not available. 

This isn't such a bad system IMO.  Maybe make all such games unrated and it would be useful for friendly / training games.

Grobe's suggestion is good too.

himath2009

So, to sum up the points hitherto made, there might be a consensus for the introduction of a Take-Back Option with the following characteristics:

1. It will apply to all types of games (online, live, etc.) and it can appear as a new button alongside the Offer Draw or Resign ones.

2. Any player who dislikes this option will be able to modify his settings accordingly and never have to be confronted with or bothered by such a request.

3. To preserve integrity and the rules of play, any player requesting a take back will be warned that acceptance of his request will result in an immediate loss and a corresponding rating adjustment to his detriment. This should help keep abuse -and mistaken use- to a minimum.  

4. After the result is registered and the ratings are adjusted the players will be able to carry on with their game unrated.

I wonder how should one proceed had he wanted to make this a formal improvement suggestion to Chess.com – should it go through a ticket?

If any staff member is monitoring this thread, please advise…

Math0t

If you really want a takeback option just use the move confirmation feature, this is already available on chess.com.

This way you can takeback without bothering your opponent Smile

whirlwind2011

@himath2009: Chess.com staff are not likely to undertake these changes, since take-back games are already available to all members. Nevertheless, if you would like to formally ask the staff to take your proposition under advisement, then you should fill out a Support Ticket:

http://support.chess.com/Tickets/Submit

and click the radio button for Site Feedback & Suggestions.

himath2009
mathot wrote:

If you really want a takeback option just use the move confirmation feature, this is already available on chess.com.

This way you can takeback without bothering your opponent 

I think you are missing the point... Personally, I do not ask for takebacks - but still think there are cases where they can be put to good use. If you are interested in the rationale, do read the entire thread... 

himath2009
whirlwind2011 wrote:

@himath2009: Chess.com staff are not likely to undertake these changes, since take-back games are already available to all members. Nevertheless, if you would like to formally ask the staff to take your proposition under advisement, then you should fill out a Support Ticket:

http://support.chess.com/Tickets/Submit

and click the radio button for Site Feedback & Suggestions.

Thank you, Dan...

Math0t
himath2009 wrote:
mathot wrote:

This way you can takeback without bothering your opponent 

I think you are missing the point... Personally, I do not ask for takebacks

I didn't mean "you" personally but "you" as someone (not sure how to say this in English).

himath2009
bobyyyy wrote:
"Takeback Request Option. What is your opinion, people? Do you think such an option should be introduced in this site?"

Sorry but this is a horrible suggestion. It means after you defeated your opponent you have to defeat him or her again in the same game. It's an idea that will most certainly be abused by inconsiderate people who want to distract an opponent in time trouble.

If people make a mouse slip that's their problem. And how can we be sure it's a mouse slip when it might be somebody who just made a stupid mistake.

I used to play chess at another website and I will never go back there because they have a takeback option which is abused constantly by rude chess players.

The rules of chess say "no taking back moves". Let's stick to the rules.

1. It will apply to all types of games (online, live, etc.) and it can appear as a new button alongside the Offer Draw or Resign ones.

2. Any player who dislikes this option will be able to modify his settings accordingly and never have to be confronted with or bothered by such a request.

3. To preserve integrity and the rules of play, any player requesting a take back will be warned that acceptance of his request will result in an immediate loss and a corresponding rating adjustment to his detriment. This should help keep abuse -and mistaken use- to a minimum.

4. After the result is registered and the ratings are adjusted the players will be able to carry on with their game unrated.

cferrel

I dont give take backs since I go by touch move rules.

TheGrobe
bobyyyy wrote:
"Sorry but this is a horrible suggestion.

Seems you're missing both the words "request" and "option" in the title of the thread.

nigelzub

take back i would be  a grand master lol 

himath2009
cferrel wrote:

I dont give take backs since I go by touch move rules.

As far as I know there is no equivalent for the pièce touchée rule in internet chess. To have such a rule would mean that you would actually be forced to move a piece only because you had just clicked on it...

himath2009
joeydvivre wrote:

I think there is lots that you haven't thought of in this proposal:

a) Suppose that I think it may be a decent idea to allow takebacks in some instances so I allow it on my profile.  Then I'm playing a silly game where I am up two pieces and a rook and my opponent asks for takeback.  I decline because I just want the game over.  I'm going to get worse invective than if the site just allowed takebacks because now I have said that I accept takebacks, just not from you.

b) Suppose that in this weird way, I allow a takeback and the game is won by me but then it gets boring.  Do I resign to get out of the game?  Do we need another button that says "Quit boring won game".  

c) Who would play their best chess knowing that the game is already officially won?

a) ...

b) Just resign it, if it bores you - it will be unrated by that point...

c) Many people would play even better - due to the lack of stress...