Forums

Talking to players

Sort:
Lostplot

Hi Guys & Gals, I am new to this site so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I do not have facebook or Twitter etc, only email, and wondering if there is a way to talk to other players via email or ? I am from OZ downunder and most times I have played online my opponent is USA based, time zones make for limited playing time and woulkd like to see if opponents are interested in a chat, penfriend style. Is there any way to do it here ?

thanks, OZ newbie. (Lostplot)

trysts

You can talk through messages and notes, but good luck in finding anyone who speaks Australian.

marklovejoy

If you chat during a game and the chat is interesting, you might ask if they'd like to continue the discussion off-site through email.

I've only been here three months, so my experience might be atypical, but usually players don't talk to each other during the gamws.

Part of it is a courtesy to not disturb a player on the move, just as you wouldn't speak aloud in an actual OTB (over the board) game.

It can also get awkward if one of you makes a really horrible move and loses badly, like losing a Queen in a game that's only gone seven moves. What can you say then, other than perhaps ask for a rematch?

Just some thoughts.

learningthemoves
trysts wrote:

You can talk through messages and notes, but good luck in finding anyone who speaks Australian.

I assume you're taking the bloody piss?

trysts

Is that an Australian language phrase?

brankz
learningthemoves wrote:
trysts wrote:

god you know I love australian people. they are just so fun you know? 

learningthemoves
trysts wrote:

Well, it combines two I guess. "Bloody" like "Bloody oath!" and "Taking the Piss". Taking the piss, I think means to have some fun at another's expense, playfully or joking around, just teasing, something like that.

learningthemoves
brankz wrote:
learningthemoves wrote:
trysts wrote:

god you know I love australian people. they are just so fun you know? 

Yes! Some of my best friends/mates are Australian.

britesorb

Online chess is a good option. Players have days between moves. Easy to chat back and forth since there is no time pressure.

Lostplot

Hey Trysts, Thanks ( I think ?)

I must be up s..t creek in a barbed wire canoe without a paddle !

Actually I was brung up proper and spoke English (Australian, now abreviated to "Strine" ) perfectly until Microsoft et al decided to "correct"  everything I ever typed. Thankfully, we can still both spell and pronounce "beer" and live in peace. (or is it peece, or pees or ?)

Lostplot

trysts
learningthemoves wrote:
trysts wrote:

Well, it combines two I guess. "Bloody" like "Bloody oath!" and "Taking the Piss". Taking the piss, I think means to have some fun at another's expense, playfully or joking around, just teasing, something like that.

I thought "bloody" was an English word?

trysts
Lostplot wrote:

Hey Trysts, Thanks ( I think ?)

I must be up s..t creek in a barbed wire canoe without a paddle !

Actually I was brung up proper and spoke English (Australian, now abreviated to "Strine" ) perfectly until Microsoft et al decided to "correct"  everything I ever typed. Thankfully, we can still both spell and pronounce "beer" and live in peace. (or is it peece, or pees or ?)

Lostplot

Laughing

DrFrank124c

I love regional dialect. Say something funny in Austrailian dialect.  

bobbymac310

I usually reply to most messages from other players. I will chat between games, but not during the game. Bob

Lostplot
DrFrank124c wrote:

I love regional dialect. Say something funny in Austrailian dialect.  

Aussie in USA shop:

Salesman: Sir, can I help you?

Aussie: Dunnomate ? I wanna buyan eggnishner.

Salesman: Do you want cool only or reverse cycle ?

Aussie: I wannar versicle, emma chisit ?

Salesman: Well Sir, this model starts at $1500

Aussie: Strewth mate ! Be like a lizard flat out drinking to pay that  much! Stone the bloody crows, ya think I'm a dill or something?

Salesman: Certainly not Sir. Perhaps cool only would be better ?

Aussie: Ya bloody right mate, might just run down tha pub an getta coldie instead, ya bloody galah !

Salesman: Thanks mate. Ya'all come back now, ya hear ?

OldChessDog

I chat with my Online opponents all the time. It's a good feature.

upen2002

yep i agree