Forums

Teaching my girlfriend chess

Sort:
vowles_23

Yeah it wasn't too bad :) Room for improvement!

Scottrf

You get her in line chap!

StrategicChess

Make sure she practices and studies hard, she'll improve faster.  I am also learning, so if she wants, she can challenge me anytime and we'll both gain from it.

Have a good day.

grandbrother

At least, I am sure I got my chess skills from my dad who as a teenager went to  study in Warsaw Polytechnical University( we consider Eastern Europe and Russia are the home to the largest chess players around the world).

Besidest that, I lost interest in playing chess from young age. then I played for fun against a class mate girl friend of mine who beaten me repeatedly and she taught me her secrets and then started to play regularly..

the interest is  got better and better..... and it continues....

cferrel

Get her premium membership and make her do 3,000 puzzles per month.

RosieChristensen
vowles_23 wrote:

Interesting, that's cool! And do you still play frequently with him?

Yes quite often actually, though I like to use him more as a trainer as he is a very strong chess player and is great for going through games with. One day I'll beat him in a proper game and I can't wait to see how much he will hate it.

Conditioner

Yeah, I agree that to help her is to;

1. Have her enjoy Chess.

2. Do a lot of Chess puzzles.

Not sure if it will apply for her, but it's how I got into chess.

sisu

Let's make it happen!

eddysallin

We have the same situation. Since chess is just so hard to learn we worked out a version much easier.You know like 960. Are's ? Foolaroundchess.We pretty much make up our own rules going along.She likes the bishop moves,while i'm partial to riding the horsie around the board.Get complaints from neighbors of people screaming---check ! Oh, no Thats mate !! CHECKMATE!!!

splitleaf

Working through puzzle books can be a real save all (as long as they are not too difficult) imho.  Would be ashamed to admit how many books I have on strategy and how many of them I've read (not one!) but I really enjoy solving chess puzzles (almost as much as playing).  They can help people fast track to the meat and fun part of chess, tactics! 

RobertPaulson13
Scottrf wrote:

Dump her if she doesn't already know Grunfeld theory 20 moves deep.

Lolololol

Conflagration_Planet
vowles_23 wrote:

So, I have a wonderful girlfriend who has taken to chess. She joined chess.com the other day so we could play on the internet when conveniently too. 

My question: How can I help her improve the most? She is actually gifted at the game, although she doesn't understand that she is herself. Simple mates I have taught her, as well as some principles, etc. We play training games where I try to give her a commentary on every move, and point out why some moves are bad. Her tactical awareness in not hanging pieces, for her level of experience is very good.
Generally, she plays the opening fine too, ones that are normal for a good few moves.

So, she wants to learn, but in which way should I teach? Books are probably out of the question, because the main idea is time together. 

And if you're reading this Honey, I love you :3 

I love you too.

atarw

LOL, the above comment was the most hilarious thing ever!

atarw

Unless you actually are his girlfriend, which in that case you are very lucky :)

Conflagration_Planet
DaBigOne wrote:

Unless you actually are his girlfriend, which in that case you are very lucky :)

No merely joking. That would be impossible. Laughing

trysts

Laughing

jambyvedar

Give her mate problems, tactics problems like pin, fork, skewer etc. Teach two rook mate( i find beginners enjoy doing two rook mate). Don't teach her too long(probably 30 minutes is enought), if she wants more, then teach her more, make her crave for more.

A suggestion buy a chess clock, let her try to do mate of two rooks and king vs king in 10 seconds, using a chess clock will make the game for her more exciting(it will also for you). If you have a budget, I suggest you buy Chess Tactics for Champion by Polgar, so that you will have lots of resources for tactical problem. Polgar's book have many good fun tactical problems for her. Introduce her to the Polgar sister and Yifan Hou, maybe if she learn about these great chess women player, it will inspire her..

vowles_23
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
DaBigOne wrote:

No merely joking. That would be impossible.

Hahahaha, but I still lol-ed.

Thank you for your continued input everyone! Noted! 

YushkaPods
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
vowles_23 wrote:

So, I have a wonderful girlfriend who has taken to chess. She joined chess.com the other day so we could play on the internet when conveniently too. 

My question: How can I help her improve the most? She is actually gifted at the game, although she doesn't understand that she is herself. Simple mates I have taught her, as well as some principles, etc. We play training games where I try to give her a commentary on every move, and point out why some moves are bad. Her tactical awareness in not hanging pieces, for her level of experience is very good.
Generally, she plays the opening fine too, ones that are normal for a good few moves.

So, she wants to learn, but in which way should I teach? Books are probably out of the question, because the main idea is time together. 

And if you're reading this Honey, I love you :3 

I love you too.

that is suspicious.. *watching you* :D

Conflagration_Planet

Laughing