Forums

The Ruy Lopez is a waste of time

Sort:
Qwertykeyboard

I learned the Ruy Lopez, and now I never get to play it. Everyone who's good enough to play the sicilian plays it, and everyone who isn't plays some throwaway off the tracks 4th move that jolts me into a midgame. Comparing the time it took to learn the Ruy and the amount of play I got, it really would have been more worthwhile to just study the generic sicilian white responces.

Dodger111

Ruy Lopez sucks

CerebralAssassin

if u play e4 then yes....u'll have to learn how to play against Sicillian...otherwise abandon it altogether and play d4

Skeptikill

your opening repetoire needs to have a few different openings. I only have 4 openings that i play consistently.

Since you are 1500 in live chess you should have enough experience to know there are many many lines. When i get out of book i just play the same principles and ideas that i like and try to guide the game in the direction that i like.

electricpawn

Is this a legitimate question? When I play 1.e4, I frequently encounter the Ruy Lopez. It's true that I see the Sicilian more often, but I've learned a lot from the Spanish priest. You need to be prepared to face a number of responses to any opening you choose to play.

Skeptikill
CerebralAssassin wrote:

if u play e4 then yes....u'll have to learn how to play against Sicillian...otherwise abandon it altogether and play d4

Then he will end up running into the benoni and have to abandon d4 for e4 again ;)

helltank

I play the Italian Game against 1...e5 because I'm too lazy to study the Ruy Lopez.

Against the Sicillian I just play common sense moves.

zkman

I'm not sure about your skill level or experience, but the Ruy is a great opening! It does lead to complicated middlegames and you can avoid a lot of main lines by simply play d3 and playing "chess". Of course, the sicilian theory should comprimise a good portion of your white repertoire, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the ruy. It is rich in many positions and the concepts your learn can be applied to many openings. Don't give up just yet :P.

hankas

You are not a true e4 player if you haven't been properly schooled in the way of the Spanish.

Crazychessplaya

At the moment, the Ruy and the Scotch are the best ways to meet 1...e5, at least on the GM level. At an amateur level, anything is playable, so you might as well pick something offbeat like the Vienna or the KG.

chessolite

i don't think thAT THE RUY LOPEZ IS A WASTE OF TIME

chessolite
zkman wrote:

I'm not sure about your skill level or experience, but the Ruy is a great opening! It does lead to complicated middlegames and you can avoid a lot of main lines by simply play d3 and playing "chess". Of course, the sicilian theory should comprimise a good portion of your white repertoire, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the ruy. It is rich in many positions and the concepts your learn can be applied to many openings. Don't give up just yet :P.

I AGREE WITH U SIR

finalunpurez

The exchange ruy lopez should be easy for beginners to study. 

zborg
pfren wrote:

I agree that studying the Ruy Lopez at beginner level is a waste of time. Factly, studying ANY opening at that level is a waste of time.

Absolutely.  Beginners should only study Black openings, if any.

How long until you understand the color weakness strategy embedded in the Ruy?  Probably not until you're around USCF 1900 strength, if then.

Daeru

<3 Ruy 

Scottrf
zborg wrote:
pfren wrote:

I agree that studying the Ruy Lopez at beginner level is a waste of time. Factly, studying ANY opening at that level is a waste of time.

Absolutely.  Beginners should only study Black openings, if any.

How long until you understand the color weakness strategy embedded in the Ruy?  Probably not until you're around USCF 1900 strength, if then.

But also, that's unimportant until you reach a good level.

Daeru

Oh snap!

Scottrf
chrisr2212 wrote:
pfren wrote:

Look- you don't have to apologise for being thick. It can happen to anyone.

Let's salute chess.com's biggest asshole!!!!! pfren!!!

You could have just commented on his logical fallacy.

Just because you say many beginners are intelligent, doesn't mean you're not intelligent if you're not a beginner.

transpo
Qwertykeyboard wrote:

I learned the Ruy Lopez, and now I never get to play it. Everyone who's good enough to play the sicilian plays it, and everyone who isn't plays some throwaway off the tracks 4th move that jolts me into a midgame. Comparing the time it took to learn the Ruy and the amount of play I got, it really would have been more worthwhile to just study the generic sicilian white responces.

The right perspective with these different openings is the most important factor.

First, chess is siege warfare in the form of a game.  What the hell is siege warfare, you say.  It was practiced in many forms by human armies throughout history.  No matter what form is practiced it employs 3 basic methodologies (strategies), restrain, blockade, and execute the enemy.  The best book ever written on how to conduct siege warfare on the chessboard is "My System", by Aaron Nimzowitsch.

Second, there 2 theories of chess:

1. Classical Chess Theory:  Control the center by occupying it with your pawns and pieces.

2. Hypermodern Chess Theory:  Control the center with the power of your pawns and pieces.  With this method you do no create targets in the center for your opponent to attack.

Nimzowitsch's book also explains these 2 different theories with a strong emphasis on Hypermodern Chess Theory.  In addition, it proposes an overarching principle that paraphrased reads like this:

Winning chess is the strategically/tactically correct advance of the pawn mass.

The Ruy Lopez is both White and Balck employing Classical Chess Theory to conduct siege warfare on the chess board.  I have never seen a chess book that gave you any other reason for Whie's move 3.Bb5 than the rationale, White is trying to win Black's pawn at e5.  Also, the B clears the rank so that White can castle Kingside.

This may surprise you, but 3.Bb5 is alot more sophisticated than that.  The real reason White plays 3.Bb5 is that with it, he temporarily restrains Black's Queenside pawns.  Especially Black's pawn at d7.  A central pawn that is vital to controlling the center.  The reason the Black d pawn can't advance is, that if it does, then White plays Bxf6 and creates a static, loose, exploitable double pawn complex weakness for Black.  There is alot more, but we will save it for later.  The other important factor in getting the right perspective is noticing the type of pawn structure in the Ruy Lopez opening.  The type of pawn structure in the Ruy is the known as the Ram formation pawn structure.   There is a book that details for the reader how to handle Ram formations for both the White and Black side.  The book is, "Pawn Power In Chess", by Hans Kmoch.  An enlightening explanation of the 6 characteristic pawn structures that result from almost every opening, begins on page 107 of the book and continues with insightful detail until the end of the book at around page 200.

The Sicilian Defense applies Hypermodern Chess Theory to controlling the center.  While White is employing Classical Chess Theory to control the center. 

There is alot more.  I can explain further if you would like.  Please let me know.    

P.S. @chrisr2212,

There is no law against being an asshole. 

BrettGoodrich
transpo wrote:

P.S. @chrisr2212,

There is no law against being an asshole. 

Greeks are unnaturally fond of ass holes.  pfren, amiright or amiright?  High five!