VIEW

The Secret of Chess

stewardjandstewardj wrote:
    Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    cellomaster8 wrote:
    Write the book with better English please

I guess my English is grammatically and spelling-wise correct, but I am not able to write novels, as I am simply a non-native speaker.

In any case, why would it be so important for a chess player to read an outstanding chess literature masterpiece?

It just might be harder to follow, regaurdless of how good the chess player is. Maybe ask someone to review the chess book. The person obviously has to be good at English, but they also have to know chess good enough, which might be trickier. While the English quality in your book is not so important that you should start taking English classes or paying someone to review the English in your book, try and take your time and attempt to correct the English in your book a little more. Maybe get a friend to review the English in your book or something

Why DON'T you get lost from this forum?

My book is writtent in EXCELLENT English, people who are native speakers have told me that.

So, just get lost.

I haven't seen one person say that your English is good. Every single time someone talks about your English as of in the book, they say it is confusing. Honestly, your English in the forum is fine, but writing a book is different then a forum

My English on the forum and in the book is precisely the same, obviously, better in the book, as proof-read.

It is ONLY Smerdon who said my English might have been a bit difficult to READ.

No one else, neither Russell Sherwood, nor Gerard Welling, so stop obfuscating things.

Now, that you CAN NOT criticise my chess content any more, you started quibbling about my language.

That is pathetic, the only thing I can say.

chessspy1 wrote:

.Hi Lyudmil,

Yes, it is time for you to bow out while you still have a shred of dignity.

Let others say you are a genius. claiming it yourself will not do you know.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Don't forget spell check next time

Best regards 

Alan.

My spell check is EXCELLENT.

Did you buy the book?

Did you read it?

Then, why are you commenting?

Now, that you are convinced the chess quality of the book is good, you find fault with

the language.

Pathetic.

Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    h4_explosive wrote:

sorry for being rude, normally not my style at all, but people like GWTR who lack basic critical thinking skills are a serious problem. in this case it might be rather unimportant because it's only about chess, but the lack of critical thinking is the main reason why people like ... (not sure if talking politics is allowed here, so I will leave the name out) can make our world such a bad place...

The bad place here is YOU.

You want to say Barack Obama is as good as Trump?

No, he is not.

You are ALL liers, all of you.

Just on a quick side note, Trump is the worst American president we have ever had, while Obama did some good with stuff like Obama Care lol

I would accept the first Obama term, not the second one.

Those polls, how could you really believe them?

PS. This is my last political comment, I really hate that.

chesster3145 wrote:
    GWTR wrote:
    chesster3145 wrote:
    SeniorPatzer wrote:

Thanks for the link to International Master Welling's review.

Here's a concluding excerpt:

"My general opinion on the book is quite positive but it has it's weaknesses as well. ...

Still, I think this book has a lot to recommend it, is a highly modern manual of chess patterns, but there is still a lot of individual work involved to formulate the knowledge to our own purpose (a form that we can memorise easily)."

P.S.  Suppose Kim Jong Un, the North Korean Leader/Dictator, said something like, "Brushing your teeth every day (or nearly so) is good for your overall health, not to mention your dental health."  Well, just because I may not like Kim Jong Un on a personal level, doesn't mean that I will reflexively and automatically discount what he has to say specifically here about brushing your teeth.

He might pound the table and be adamant about brushing your teeth, but I would not attack his argument based on how he presents his argument, nor on his other characteristics.  I would have to evaluate his argument on its own merits.

Now, as far as I have followed this thread, which isn't extensive, but sufficient enough, I have observed Master Jorge Murakami evaluate Lyudmil's arguments on its own merits.  He (and others) thought there weren't suitable responses in response to some of their questions, so then the insults began to flow freely.

But at this point, let's cease with the personal insults.  It's really unhelpful.

Telling someone to brush their teeth does not = saying you’re the greatest player/writer of all time, that your system is the only right one and that everyone else is weak. One is objectively good advice. The other is a dangerous delusion, and so we must call it out: it isn’t wrong to call Lyudmil a charlatan because he is. There is a word for what he is doing, and we should use it. Doing otherwise normalizes his behaviour.

Or it could just be that you like to put down people over and over (and over and over) on chess message boards because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Nothing seems to get you going more than someone praising himself or others (unless it is you).

Just my two cents.

That’s a pretty toxic two cents. I understand your positivity with regards to Lyudmil, but this is too much. He is the only person I have attacked that I can remember, and I’m attacking him out of principle, not out of a lack of self-worth. You’ll find that I have a life on here outside of what’s happening on this thread and similar ones, and that’s a telltale sign that I am credible.

Bullying and harassment are not principles. Rather it is enjoyment for people like you (actually, that fact sadly applies to many of us).

Now, now, Lyudmil,

Please do not continue with the personal attacks. I am only and desperately trying to help you.

I know from bitter experience that when one has put a lot of work into a writing project, that to have it criticised so harshly is galling in the extreme, but you MUST,  please, for your own good resist the temptation to indulge in the politics of a foreign (to you) country, and most importantly DO NOT make personal attacks on others who for the most part are trying to help guide you through what is clearly a very difficult time in your life.

SeniorPatzer wrote:

"My general opinion on the book is quite positive but it has it's weaknesses as well. ...

Still, I think this book has a lot to recommend it, is a highly modern manual of chess patterns, but there is still a lot of individual work involved to formulate the knowledge to our own purpose (a form that we can memorise easily)."

P.S.  Suppose Kim Jong Un, the North Korean Leader/Dictator, said something like, "Brushing your teeth every day (or nearly so) is good for your overall health, not to mention your dental health."  Well, just because I may not like Kim Jong Un on a personal level, doesn't mean that I will reflexively and automatically discount what he has to say specifically here about brushing your teeth.

He might pound the table and be adamant about brushing your teeth, but I would not attack his argument based on how he presents his argument, nor on his other characteristics.  I would have to evaluate his argument on its own merits.

Now, as far as I have followed this thread, which isn't extensive, but sufficient enough, I have observed Master Jorge Murakami evaluate Lyudmil's arguments on its own merits.  He (and others) thought there weren't suitable responses in response to some of their questions, so then the insults began to flow freely.

But at this point, let's cease with the personal insults.  It's really unhelpful.

I have not started anything.

Master or not, Murakami has been proven WRONG.

I guess it is sufficiently unfair and unfavourable to have a 1 versus 100 fight.

I had hoped for 2 vs 99, but 1 vs 101 is even more cryingly-shameful.

The book is available for sale on Amazon.com, and although I haven't read it yet all the way through, I have sampled the sections available on the Amazon website, and the basic ideas it presents, while not original as chess principles, are a useful outline of valid rules to follow.  What makes the book special is the indication of how these principles could be given numerical values for a computer program, which is not only interesting in itself, but also of value for those who might want to develop their own computer game.

GWTR wrote:
    chesster3145 wrote:
    GWTR wrote:
    chesster3145 wrote:
    SeniorPatzer wrote:

Telling someone to brush their teeth does not = saying you’re the greatest player/writer of all time, that your system is the only right one and that everyone else is weak. One is objectively good advice. The other is a dangerous delusion, and so we must call it out: it isn’t wrong to call Lyudmil a charlatan because he is. There is a word for what he is doing, and we should use it. Doing otherwise normalizes his behaviour.

Or it could just be that you like to put down people over and over (and over and over) on chess message boards because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Nothing seems to get you going more than someone praising himself or others (unless it is you).

Just my two cents.

That’s a pretty toxic two cents. I understand your positivity with regards to Lyudmil, but this is too much. He is the only person I have attacked that I can remember, and I’m attacking him out of principle, not out of a lack of self-worth. You’ll find that I have a life on here outside of what’s happening on this thread and similar ones, and that’s a telltale sign that I am credible.

Bullying and harassment are not principles. Rather it is enjoyment for people like you (actually, that fact sadly applies to many of us).

Please don’t make any more of these comments. I’ve deleted that reply as it went too far as a response to a post which truly was relevant, helpful and nice. As for your alleged bullying and harassment, I really don’t see any: there is no power difference between Lyudmil and I, and the comments are going both ways and always have.

chessspy1 wrote:

Now, now, Lyudmil,

Please do not continue with the personal attacks. I am only and desperately trying to help you.

I know from bitter experience that when one has put a lot of work into a writing project, that to have it criticised so harshly is galling in the extreme, but you MUST,  please, for your own good resist the temptation to indulge in the politics of a foreign (to you) country, and most importantly DO NOT make personal attacks on others who for the most part are trying to help guide you through what is clearly a very difficult time in your life.

happy.pnghappy.pnghappy.png

People who try to help me will buy my book.

People who criticise me, unfairly, have other intentions.

Hi Lyudmil,

You may have not started the insulting, but you certainly have returned fire.  All I am counseling is a cease fire on insults and personal attacks.  From everybody.

Much Thanks.

I agree. We’re here to discuss the book, not the person.
    Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    FrancisCominelli wrote:
    Killed in Action?

Right.

Chess books don't sell. Better to write fantasy.

you have already written fantasy, your "games" against SF wink.png wink.png

hitthepin wrote:
    I agree. We’re here to discuss the book, not the person.

Sure.

Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    chesster3145 wrote:
    Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    h4_explosive wrote:

sorry for being rude, normally not my style at all, but people like GWTR who lack basic critical thinking skills are a serious problem. in this case it might be rather unimportant because it's only about chess, but the lack of critical thinking is the main reason why people like ... (not sure if talking politics is allowed here, so I will leave the name out) can make our world such a bad place...

The bad place here is YOU.

You want to say Barack Obama is as good as Trump?

No, he is not.

You are ALL liers, all of you.

This post is hilarious: opinion polls disprove it easily, and the (name omitted) analogy which we have all avoided drawing until now literally draws itself. In fact, I might just add the name back: if LT wants to get the thread locked for political content, that’s fine by me.

People have been discussing on politics freely here.

JMurakami, for example, did he get an admonititon for that?

No, several other people too, but, when I post something similar, this is already unacceptable.

Really, I feel like vomiting, so many double-faced people here.

No offense, but name calling for little to no reason is something I find very childish. chesster, you are also sort of pushing it when you name call a little

Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    Lyudmil_Tsvetkov wrote:
    cellomaster8 wrote:
    Hey LT, just because amazon does not show any mistakes, doesn’t mean that there is not any grammatical or spelling errors. For example, google documents does not catch as many mistakes as Microsoft word. And, I’m an American so I know what I am talking about.

Amazon spell-checking software is OK, they are book-publishers, after all, or don't you think so?

I am not that stupid too, neither negligent.

Spelling is always good, but as of grammar, trust me, Amazon does not check your grammar as good as Grammarly

There is no good grammar software, this is simply too complicated, in the same way as there is no good language translation software.

Shall I quote you a Google-translated text?

But really, I get the impression you need a grammar, and not a chess book.

In that case, my book is a chess one.

As said, you will not find the best grammar there, but you will find the best chess.

yes, but it will reach out to more people with better grammar. Whether or not the book is "the best chess book that has ever existed", the chess is obviously complicated. And confusing grammar only makes it more complicated. If I were to be writing ANY book, whether it is a poem, chess book, health book, or list of things to do in a waiting room, I would always use Grammarly. It's just very effective, and getting the software for it is in no way complicated.

AND XD XD XD there is NO ARGUING that Google translate is bad. I don't know any language too well other than English, but I typed something in English, translated it to Spanish, then to Danish, before translating it back to English using Google Translate, and I some really weird jumble of words that barely made sense

Online Now