Forums

Tonight Chess has a new All time best

Sort:
grandbrother

Grand Master Magnus Carlsen of Norway has leveled day 1 in London Chess Classic yesterday, Tonight is almost surpassing the record high elo points in the history of Chess after his seemingly crushing game of round 2 currently live streamed on the internet and watched over by chess fans around the world whether in a cofe shop in Oslo, cruising crews in the Barren sea, Math tutors in the State, chess fans in the desert of Arabia who have I-pads or those previlaged with access to internet while in refugee camps or slums around the world. All are keen to see the favorite of all time to come on top after this bloodbath match between un easy World number 1 and and World Number 2 Levon Aronian.

Thank you guys enjoy your nights and days where ever you may watch this game or read it from here!

grandbrother

Kasparov may be annoyed Wink

grandbrother

We may have one, Magnus>Levon, I may also say in short: one have conviniently elo-wise peaked, I may also again suggest if you were not fan of this new guy, you better be finally realizing how wity he deserves your respect :)

grandbrother

If he wins this round 2 game he will have 2 milestones.

beating elo points record high of all time(set by Kasparov) and largest gap between world number 1 and 2(after Fischer) 

grandbrother

Game over(Magnus-Levon) 1-0 

grandbrother

pgn of the game is coming up soon in 10 minutes time.

congratulations to the fans

grandbrother

here is the pgn file for the game: have fun

Capt_Caveman

Why not Re8 and continue? Presume resignation

Kingpatzer

The official rating is not calculated day to day. In order for Magnus to guarnantee that he achieves the record he needs to finish with a minimum score of 6.0 for the tournament and not play any other rated games through the remainder of December. 

Scores lower than 6.0 might still make the record depending on the exact nature of how the wins and draws are distributed, but a 6.0 performance ensures it.  

grandbrother

I thought it depended on the officialization of the live rating portals of FIDE which will come out before the end of the year, most likely he will stretch further his elo most probably above 2860+ since he sweaped a mojor opponent and earned the most out this game. He will probably close the gap by playing with and wining with black. I Think there is no need for 6 wining games but that will surpass his nanjing performance of 3001+ elo rating performance and take him to new record if possible!

Kingpatzer

The 6.0 score requirement comes from GM Bartek Macieja's calculations.  

MSC157

Actually, we still didn't have new the best chess player. Kasparov's unofficial live rating was 2856,7 (Carlsen's is 1 point lower). Official rating is 47/48 (idk), Kasparov's was 51. :)

Scottrf

Also, ratings aren't designed to compare eras.

Carlsen is possibly the strongest player ever regardless.

grandbrother
Scottrf wrote:

Also, ratings aren't designed to compare eras.

Carlsen is possibly the strongest player ever regardless.

absolutely, as he faced monsters of their time" a pool of chess veterans,  fierce prodigies sharpened with razor blade pride, all racing for the top slot reserves..........

eddysallin
pfren wrote:
Capt_Caveman wrote:

59...Re8 60.Nxd6 is curtains.

Magnus is from another planet...  his positional insight is simply incredible.

# 49....why not bg8? Black rook needed too stay on b. file . Caught up on the king side w/ his rook was pushing too hard for an edge.

MSteen

From what I can see from the bottom of the ratings pile, 49 . . . Bg8 allows 50 Nxf5, and then the rest of the kingside pawns fall.

varelse1

Carlsen is the best ever. And now it's official.

qbsuperstar03
pfren wrote:
Capt_Caveman wrote:

59...Re8 60.Nxd6 is curtains.

Magnus is from another planet...  his positional insight is simply incredible.

More specifically, 59. ...Re8 60. Nxd6 cxd6 61. c7+ and Black has to cough up the rook.  61. ...Kd7 (the only move that doesn't lose the Rook without compensation) leads to 62. Rxe8 Kxe8 (if he doesn't recapture he loses the Bishop as well) 63. c8Q+ and that is where the fat lady starts warbling.

That help you, Capt_Caveman?

varelse1

Aronian lost 2 games this tournament so far.

I do not believe Carlsen has lost 2 games this year yet.

(I do know he has lost 1 for sure.)

Razdomillie
Estragon wrote:

The Monday game to watch in London:  Kramnik-Carlsen.

Not to mention that Kramnik and Carlsen are both leading. A draw is only way for both of them to stay in the ahead, and we haven't been seeing many draws lately.