Forums

Tonight Chess has a new All time best

Sort:
Elubas

"Sure enough, Magnus isn't "the greatest ever". A handful of other players may claim that title (some not, as they have passed away).

But the sheer quality of his play is phenomenal, in the whole history of chess. How can we say it- Capablanca on steroids with Kasparov fighting spirit, maybe?"

This deserves another mentioning. His play is phenomenal indeed. He might not make as many tactical brilliancies as Kasparov, but he makes up for that with outstanding consistency and, what seems to me, an unmatched ability to win from equal positions!

I mean, Fischer complained about how chess was played out, and yet Carlsen probably believes there is life in just about any position! He hardly even tries for an advantage out of the opening, and he can grind down super GMs nonetheless. 

Frankly, I do think his chess is stronger than almost anyone throughout history, but maybe that statement is too bold. If he isn't now, I certainly think he will be.

sisu

Let's make it happen!

Uns0undSacrifice

Fischer, Morphy, Kasparov, Capablanca would all like to have a word with you.

varelse1

I merely state today what the rest of the world will know in a few years time. Accept it as you will.Innocent

Pre_VizsIa

Carlsen!

sisu

Let's make it happen!

varelse1

And it is official. Carlsen won the London Chess Classic 2012, with a score of +5 =3 -0.

And, come January 1st, 2013, FIDE will recognize him as the highest rated shess player in the world, ever!!!

And he only just turned 22!! Who can say what we can expect from him in the future??

If you're reading this Magnus, Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Elubas

People think that just because ratings are not an absolute measure, that Carlsen has to be 2900 or something to prove he has become better than Kasparov. Carlsen's gap is not as large as Kasparov's was, but in this day and age a gap is more difficult to produce most likely because it's so hard to surprise opponents out of the opening. So a 50 point gap now might be similar to a 80-100 point gap 15 years ago. Or maybe not; in any case I think it's hard to say Carlsen's achievement isn't simply unbelievable, something nobody at all has been able to do since Kasparov.

Carlsen is basically the king of chess at this point.

MJ4H

Since ratings are not absolute values, there is no rating accomplishment one can acheive to prove they have become better than Kasparov.  Even the creation of a larger relative gap has way too many variables to be considered an accurate gauge.  Carlsen's "acheivement" is merely a numeric curiosity, and not as much to do with inherent quality of the chess as most seem to think.

varelse1

Is Carlsen better than Kasparov? That may be debatable.

Is Carlsen at 22 better than Kasparov at 22? Without a doubt.

Elubas

Indeed. Also it's worth pointing out that nobody was even close to doing what Kasparov did with the ratings once he left; he left a big hole in the world of professional chess, a clear number one quitting while he was ahead. Carlsen has filled that hole.

konhidras

Just wait till Chess Network faces Carlsen. just you guys wait.

varelse1
Elubas wrote:

Indeed. Also it's worth pointing out that nobody was even close to doing what Kasparov did with the ratings once he left; he left a big hole in the world of professional chess, a clear number one quitting while he was ahead. Carlsen has filled that hole.

Now that I think about it, I could name ONE other player who quit like that......

Was back in the 70's, I believe.......

Tongue Out

varelse1

Yes, that is quite a difference.

Then there was Morphy. Pretty sure he was #1 his last game as well.

Would his case be closer to a Bobby, or a Garry?

(P.S. I actually bet 5 pounds on Spassky in the rematch.)

unique1234567890

OK OK OK I admit that Mr.Carlsen is not the worst player ever. Happy now ?

fluidwill

Daniel Kings YouTube Chess Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCMBATpFb--uLNAODOVWvCTA

Might not be for everyone but I like his presentation. Negatively he has an obsession with bishops and likes to sidetrack off into cunning traps that never happened (nor were likely to). That said, I suscribed to him during the World Championship match and have never regretted it. I think my chess has improved too, also like his Najdorf series though not enough to give up my beloved Kan.