Forums

too old to learn chess?

Sort:
DC5

I'm 42 and have always had an interest in playing chess, I just started to play again this month but feel that I may be to old to learn. Is there an age cut off to becoming any good?

Flamma_Aquila

You are too old to become world champion. You may be too old to become a GM.

But you are not to old to pick up a wonderfully challenging and entertaining hobby.

As for getting "any good"? You can certainly become a competitive club player.

ManoWar1934

I resumed playing again at age 76 after a 25 year break. Stop worrying and push those pawns!

cryptic_cave

I resumed April 10, 2010 at 63 after a 32 year break. I do retain some hopes of improvement as my pawns continue to push along.

Captainbob767

I will be 70 this August and started playing again a few months ago after a 53 year break...  42, you are still a kid....Wink

twah
DC5 wrote:

I'm 42 and have always had an interest in playing chess, I just started to play again this month but feel that I may be to old to learn. Is there an age cut off to becoming any good?

not too old. you can still become an expert if you put the time in Id say.

trysts
DC5 wrote:

Is there an age cut off to becoming any good?

pdela
Mastafade wrote:

Ha you know I had that same thought just a few weeks ago, and i'm only 17! 0.0 Apparently there were test that learning and playing chess can greatly reduce chances of Alzheimer's Disease, so not only is it an enticing way to spend your free time, it's also healthy and good for you!

Edit: 0.0 FYI I started my post before Schachgeek. That coincidence just made my day =)

Another fan??

Cry_Wolf

you can probably still become a GM, definately an IM if you work at it. It is true that the mind's chess playing ability peaks around 38 but think of it this way... the youngest GM is 13 which means that it took him probably 8 or 9 years. Granted, it takes you less time while the mind is developing, but you can be a GM by 60 at the latest :D

goldendog

C'mon..becoming a GM just isn't available to the average Joe who starts playing chess at 42, nor the very good player who has been playing for decades and is now 42. Same story for IM.

Unless one is really on the track for such an accomplishment, either in terms of actual achievements or spectacular talent, it's not going to happen.

Look at our WGM Pogonina. She works hard and has talent and has had youth on her side. She's not a GM yet. So why some average guy?

aj415
DC5 wrote:

If you think you are too old, you are correct.

If you think your not to old, you are correct.

VLMJ

Aloha, Everyone!  I am 79 and play and study chess regularly and increasingly enjoy the game and everything about it.  Gradually my rating (only a way of checking my personal improvement) overall, with all the ups and downs, is slowly improving.  My doctor said if I can keep up my study of chess, it will be very good for me.  I simply want to continue enjoying and improving my chess with the talent that has been given me and the work I can accomplish.  Mahalo for all the contributions to this interesting thread.  

TheGrobe

Play away, get whatever you can out of it.  I'm officially more addicted than ever after two separate ten-year hiatuses.  My ship has sailed for chess greatness, especially given the amount of free time I now have, but sheer chess enjoyment?  It will always be there.

orangehonda
trysts wrote:
DC5 wrote:

Shoot, just missed the cut off.

trysts
VLMJ wrote:

Aloha, Everyone!  I am 79 and play and study chess regularly and increasingly enjoy the game and everything about it.  Gradually my rating (only a way of checking my personal improvement) overall, with all the ups and downs, is slowly improving.  My doctor said if I can keep up my study of chess, it will be very good for me.  I simply want to continue enjoying and improving my chess with the talent that has been given me and the work I can accomplish.  Mahalo for all the contributions to this interesting thread.  

If you're 79 yrs. old, I would hope you are at least going to have some good advice like; 'If you're still playing chess in your thirties, you should think about a will.'; 'If you've started chess in your twenties, you should try to get governmental help to pay for your pharmaceuticals.'Laughing

trysts
orangehonda wrote:
trysts wrote:
DC5 wrote:

I meant 43.Smile

ivandh
orangehonda wrote:
trysts wrote:
DC5 wrote:

Is there an age cut off to becoming any good?

John Walsh is coming after you.

ManoWar1934

VLMJ, Congratulations! You are an inspiration. Korchnoi is still competing at 79, Smyslov was competing at 80, and so was the German GM Uhlmann. I've lifted my correspondence rating almost 200 points so far this year. This website is a great tool for education and improvement. Mahalo.

orangehonda

Yeah, guy at my club was a musician for... his whole life and just now (he's 70-something) started taking up chess.  He's improved consistently too... he's not the next hot GM, but lets face it neither am I and I'm in my 20s Tongue out.  It's your love of the game that counts, and yes in your 40s you can still make a lot of improvement.

daffodil74

Just for fun I checked the ELO-list for The Norwegian Chess Union. In all the official tournaments in Norway first 1/2 year of 2010 the oldest player was 89, and the yongest was 8. Should be possible for the rest of us as well then!!