Forums

tournament etiquette?

Sort:
Irontiger
fischeriii wrote:

I remember one local tournament where I won by the 50 move rule which my opponent was not aware of.  You may be surprised to find that some tournament players have not taken the time to memorize the rules and how they work.

Indeed, I am surprised that some people post about knowing the rules better without checking it first.

bigpoison
fischeriii wrote:

I remember one local tournament where I won by the 50 move rule which my opponent was not aware of.  You may be surprised to find that some tournament players have not taken the time to memorize the rules and how they work.  He was upset, but nothing he could do.  THERE IS CHESS FOR FUN AND THEN THERE IS CHESS FOR BLOOD.

Really?  That's a neat trick.

Jitesh
kikvors wrote:
fischeriii schreef:

I remember one local tournament where I won by the 50 move rule which my opponent was not aware of.

That one is new to me too!

He is perhaps saying he won the tournament by drawing one game by 50-move rule.

waffllemaster

No, he's mixing lingo with idiot-speak to be a more effective troll.  I'm sure he chose his words carefully.  He has some other posts exactly like this.

Irontiger
waffllemaster wrote:

No, he's mixing lingo with idiot-speak to be a more effective troll.  I'm sure he chose his words carefully.  He has some other posts exactly like this.

Yes, it might not be obvious from here but his other forums' posts give a good clue.

chasm1995

I have a friend that is built like a brick sh!thouse and at tournaments, he slams his pieces down on the board to the point that his king is teetering, and says in a very loud voice "check" and "checkmate" to intimidate his opponent and any future opponent he may have that is watching one that game.  It's very effective.  I saw somebody jump out of his seat the first time he said "check" at the last tournament we went to.

Likhit1
chasm1995 wrote:

I have a friend that is built like a brick sh!thouse and at tournaments, he slams his pieces down on the board to the point that his king is teetering, and says in a very loud voice "check" and "checkmate" to intimidate his opponent and any future opponent he may have that is watching one that game.  It's very effective.  I saw somebody jump out of his seat the first time he said "check" at the last tournament we went to.

If this is for ral,Im amazed!

chasm1995
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

It is real.  He does it at school, too, aginst the freshmen in our highschool chess club.

Likhit1
chasm1995 wrote:
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

It is real.  He does it at school, too, aginst the freshmen in our highschool chess club.

He is using hiz build pretty well!The guy jumping off the chair was cool.

chasm1995
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:
Likhit1 wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

He is using hiz build pretty well!The guy jumping off the chair was cool.

It nearly made me jump, too!

Likhit1

The Samsung galaxy s4 lauch is live streaming,exciting stuff.

nimzovitch2013

I knew a player who would have his brickhouse gf sit in a low cut top beside him, just a little behind him so that she wasn't exactly at the table. 

chasm1995

I played a girl with a similar strategy.  She would bounce around all game, and I had a difficult time winning that game, especially since it was against the third highest rated palyer at that tournament (highschool tournament in Maine) and I went in as number six.  I only lost to the number two ranked player, but I was content with that.

JEMORANGE

Think about your moves a bit and let his clock drain a little if he does not notice. I personally would tell them right away just to be nice. Especially if they are new to OTB. I learned every tournament rule the hard way. Such as the touch rule. I felt so embarrassed after thinking for 20 minutes and noticing i touched a piece

WizardLaboratory

Two Questions:

Should you write your move on your score sheet before or after making it?

By official USCF rules do you have to hit the clock with the same hand you moved the piece with?

Thanks!

CabassoG

I would say to get used to FIDE rules because it seems the USCF is kinda copying them recently (judging by the new clock rules and stuff

WizardLaboratory
CabassoG wrote:

I would say to get used to FIDE rules because it seems the USCF is kinda copying them recently (judging by the new clock rules and stuff

Makes sense to me.