Forums

Translation for "Wissen Ist Matt"

Sort:
HeartOfStone

The Chessbase motto is "Wissen Ist Matt". How does it translate into English?  I was surprised to not be able to get the translation by googling it.

K-n-u-c-k-l-e-s

"Knowledge Is Matt"

HeartOfStone

And "Matt" is? Mate?

K-n-u-c-k-l-e-s

Matt,is my name...That would seem,however, a logical conclusion.

Sred

Knowledge is mate.

It's a wordplay with the german saying "Wissen ist Macht", which translates to "knowledge is might"

Spielkalb

"Knowledge is power" would be a more accurate translation of "Wissen ist Macht", just as a hint.

HeartOfStone

Thanks, now it makes sense. "Knowledge is mate" by itself was a pretty lame motto.

jfmercer

Is there a dialect of German in which "macht" is pronounced "matt"? In other words, is there a dialect where these two words form a pun? 

Kansha

According to the interwebs, it means - knowledge is power 

Sred
jfmercer wrote:

Is there a dialect of German in which "macht" is pronounced "matt"? In other words, is there a dialect where these two words form a pun? 

If there is such a dialect, I'm not aware of it. "Macht" and "Matt" just sound similar, there's nothing more to it.

Doggy_Style
Sred wrote:
jfmercer wrote:

If there is such a dialect, I'm not aware of it. "Macht" and "Matt" just sound similar, there's nothing more to it.

A pun.

SilentKnighte5
K-n-u-c-k-l-e-s wrote:

Matt,is my name...That would seem,however, a logical conclusion.

:lmao:

grenoulle3000

Matt = mate in German. "to know, is mate"

Sred
badenwurtca wrote:

According to the Langenscheidt German - English Dictionary ( for the young folks yes it is an " actual book "   lol ) Checkmate is Schachmatt in German. Perhaps " Wissen ist Schachmatt " might have been a clearer statement.

"Matt" is the usual term in common language, while "Schachmatt" would sound overly formal. And "Wissen ist Schachmatt" just doesn't have the pun.

Thunder_n_Lightning
Kansha wrote:

According to the interwebs, it means - knowledge is power 

Tha interwebs XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKTH6f1JfX8

DonJose22

You might contact ChessBase to find out what they intended it to mean.

Ziryab

It is a play on Michel Foucault's book Power/Knowledge

badenwurtca
Sred wrote:
badenwurtca wrote:

According to the Langenscheidt German - English Dictionary ( for the young folks yes it is an " actual book "   lol ) Checkmate is Schachmatt in German. Perhaps " Wissen ist Schachmatt " might have been a clearer statement.

"Matt" is the usual term in common language, while "Schachmatt" would sound overly formal. And "Wissen ist Schachmatt" just doesn't have the pun.

---   Yes I agree with the pun part however I was going for clarity. On the formal thing I do remember that back when I was a youngster in the Black Forest some 55 years ago things were still very formal ( that whole " Du " and " Sie " thing for example ).

Sred
badenwurtca wrote:
Sred wrote:
badenwurtca wrote:

---   Yes I agree with the pun part however I was going for clarity. On the formal thing I do remember that back when I was a youngster in the Black Forest some 55 years ago things were still very formal ( that whole " Du " and " Sie " thing for example ).

Yep, "formal" isn't on point - my fault due to missing language skills. I meant to say that "schachmatt" is a litte more elevated. Anyway it destroys the pun, and the pun is all the whole line is about :)

AmanSantana

In german, Scachmatt means checkmate but as we say mate in 2, for example, matt is mate and mate is checkmate that is Scachmatt, Wissen is knowledge, I translate this as checkmate is knowledge or Cm= Kn or even chess is knowledge.