Forums

Value for the King?

Sort:
Nordlandia

Yet another example

Black to move

Nordlandia

Black have an advantage due to the enhanced activity of the king!

Looks like a comfy position for black
even though white's a piece up.

perrysmolen

king's attack and or defense value changes throughout the game situationally, same as pawns and other pieces locational and situationally generally the attack value in the end game is necessary, could be two kings and 1 pawn, how much is that one pawn now worth?  Changed a bit has it?  So has the king's value as an attack on another king is quite different than any other "interactions"  so example above two kings and a pawn... the kings are the most powerful, while the pawn... basically a queen... <the hope>.  Piece value is subjective situational particularly with the king

Daarzyn7

I think comparison between K x N is similar to the N x B situation.

- Bishop can move faster than knight

- Knight is stronger at close spaces

Yet bishop and knight are considered equal.

- Knight can move faster than king

- King is stronger at close spaces

In this case, the king's strength at close spaces is more significant, therefore I would place him slightly above king (and therefore also above bishop).

PineappleMcPineapple

technically bishop is considered more valuable than knight, because its more useful in more games than knight, also king is not necessarily stronger, because you have to make sure its not checkmate at all costs.

boddythepoddy

I heard from someone that it was Bobby Fischer who concluded that bishops are more valuable.

Nordlandia

I have previously read in a book that the king is generally considered the strongest piece in minor piece endgames. Also the king fighting value is adjacent to the knight in other cases. In minor piece endgames, slightly above the bishops base value.