Forums

Wanted: Chess.com Greeters!

Sort:
kohai
no selangor, its not a competition ... we were joking
kohai
Michael_Sarmiento wrote:

Do i get a list of a newbies that i welcomed atleast  to find out if they stayed or astrayed....

Thats a really good idea Michael.

Checkers4Me

Yeah, it's not really a competition. Things would get a bit crazy if it were.

Is there a way to track referrals?

kohai
Perhaps erik and team can come up with something
Checkers4Me
Perhaps a quick questionnaire. Especially with the introduction of the widgets, may be a good study to see what methods are the most effective for attracting new members.
kohai
Quick questionnaire aimed at whom ?
TadDude
Michael_Sarmiento wrote:

It's fun being a chess welcomer... i had already 10 few hours ago. I realy enjoying it, aside from the need to have more games to improve my play at the same time lower my time-out percentage which is a result of an untoward incident.

Do i get a list of a newbies that i welcomed atleast  to find out if they stayed or astrayed....

its always a great idea to welcome newbies... 

Unrated games will not help your timeout percentage according to this

http://www.chess.com/news/big-release-of-features-bug-fixes-and-upgrades

Under the heading Online Chess "unrated games do not affect any stats"

Checkers4Me
kohai wrote: Quick questionnaire aimed at whom ?

I was thinking for the new member.

Kind of like "How did you hear about us?" Based off that question, maybe 1 or 2 more follow-up ones. Possibly even a question about what your main goal is for joining the site (turn-based, live chess, forums, completely new to the game (me), ect...).

I don't know, maybe a dumb idea, but it would be cool for analysis purposes.

kohai
I asked about the question " where did you hear about us" in the thread erik started, when he wanted to know how come there was a surge of members over one weekend. Not sure if that idea was taken onboard or not though.
silentfilmstar13
Checkers4Me wrote: silentfilmstar13 wrote:

Hmmm...

Perhaps unadulterated was the wrong word.  The evil that is Wal-Mart is slightly less potent than Rupert Murdoch.

Wal-Mart , Evil? That's blasphemy. I would be careful about what you say about Wal-Mart. They have spies everywhere...

Only one of the people I am playing is actually playing. He's now on my friend list, so I would suppose that is a success.

I bet he works at Wal-Mart.

d4tt3b4yo
yeah
EnGliSHCheSsPlAy
good idea, I'll sign up to that but how can I do it?
kohai
How do I become a greeter?
Becoming a greeter is easy.  First, your account must be at least 1 month old.  Second, simply visit your echess settings page and scroll down towards the bottom where you see "Chess.com Greeter", and click the 'Be a greeter' checkbox.  You may also specify how many games you are willing to play -- the more the better!

We would like to have as many greeters as possible!  The more greeters we have, the more likely a new registrant is to stay active and get involved in the community.  Plus, it gives you more people to play chess and interact with!
Checkers4Me
silentfilmstar13 wrote: Checkers4Me wrote: silentfilmstar13 wrote:

Hmmm...

Perhaps unadulterated was the wrong word.  The evil that is Wal-Mart is slightly less potent than Rupert Murdoch.

Wal-Mart , Evil? That's blasphemy. I would be careful about what you say about Wal-Mart. They have spies everywhere...

Only one of the people I am playing is actually playing. He's now on my friend list, so I would suppose that is a success.

I bet he works at Wal-Mart.

I'm telling you, they are everywhere

hybridy
kohai wrote: Michael_Sarmiento wrote:

Thats a really good idea Michael.

I second that.

erik
if you want to find out if your newbie stays on, then add them as a friend! :)
TheOldReb
If one has experience as a Wal-Mart greeter does it help in becoming a chess.com greeter? Laughing
bigsmoke579
kohai wrote: jeo wrote: kohai wrote:

Besides, i don't know what a wal-mart vest looks like. lol 

lol!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaha

i am in

hybridy
PerfectGent wrote:

with a lot of greeted newbies not returning what do others think of the ethics of sending them an email from their profile page asking 'very politely' if they would like to return and continue with the game

regards PG 

LOL, I'm sorry, but I just got a flash of: "The Chess Website from Hell." Once you sign up, they'll never leave you alone! =)

Sadly...if they don't log on again, I think we have to let them go. If we email them, they'll likely think we're being too pushy and stay away forever. Even if they don't log on for a day or two, that doesn't mean they won't log in on the third day, or perhaps even in the future.

kohai
hahahaha jeo - thankfully games are not played via webcam so no-one will ever see if i wear one Tongue out