Forums

What are your predictions for the World Championship?

Sort:
chessyjayesh

it seems anand have a upper edge

fabelhaft
Estragon wrote:

As to a prediction, Gelfand has a worse record against Anand than he does against Kasparov, Karpov, Ivanchuk, and Kramnik.  He is certainly capable of playing at the Championship level, but there is no reason to believe he could beat Anand at this time.  It would be the biggest upset ever in a title match since at least Tal-Botvinnik 1960, and perhaps of all time, excepting only Euwe's upset of Alekhine.

Gelfand winning the title couldn't well be a smaller upset than Tal's beating Botvinnik. Tal had won the Soviet Championship consecutive years, won Interzonal and Candidates clearly (+12 in 28 games, including 4-0 against Fischer), and faced a 49-year-old Botvinnik. Gelfand's results have been nowhere near those of Tal before the title match, while there were many good reasons to rank the latter as the strongest player in the world at the time of the match.

Euwe winning was of course a big surprise, but his results in the 1930s are often forgotten. Just before winning the title he shared first in Hastings 1934, ahead of Capablanca. The same year he won against Alekhine in Zürich but since he lost against Lasker Alekhine still won the tournament. Euwe's results were good enough for Chessmetrics to rank him as World #2 at that time, and during a five-year-period around the match he is never outside the top three but frequently #1. So to me Gelfand winning the title would be the biggest sensation ever in the history of the World Championship.

forkingaround

Can someone fill me in? I haven´t been playing chess that long ... why did Carlsen withdraw? Thanks and greetings!

fabelhaft
forkingaround wrote:

Can someone fill me in? I haven´t been playing chess that long ... why did Carlsen withdraw? Thanks and greetings!

It will depend on who you ask, it's either:

1) Because the rules of the cycle were changed long after it already had started, removing the eight game Candidates match between winners of Grand Prix and World Cup, substituting it with minimatch knockouts with various players invited that didn't want to participate in the qualification from the same starting point as Carlsen and Aronian.

or:

2) Because Carlsen was afraid to play a match against Anand in case he would have won the knockout, so he used the cycle change as an excuse not to have to risk facing Anand.

Carlsen wasn't the only player to protest, by the way:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5059

SonofaBishop67

Personally, I am not writing Gelfand off, statistics and history be damned. Why is Anand playing Gelfand for the title and not a "more likely" contender? Gelfand must be playing some pretty good chess lately to be in the position he is now! And there is a lot to be said for 'streaks', its like a random factor in any sports equation when trying to guess who will win.

forkingaround

Thanks fabelhaft! I also found your other posts on the subject very informative. Greetings, forking

Crazychessplaya

Fabelhaft rules.

platolag

No contest!... Gelfand  will shout "no mas, no mas" like Roberto Duran did against Sugar Ray Leonard... and just throw in the towel.  My predication it is going to be a wipe out!

Kingpatzer

Here's the real question: what does FIDE have to do to return the WCC title to a measure of respectability that would get people more excited for the WCC match than they are for a meaningless 6 game training match?

fyy0r
Estragon wrote:
fyy0r wrote:

Also interesting is Garry Kasparov's opinion on it:

"The uniqueness of the forthcoming match, as I see it, is in the fact that for the first time in the modern World Chess Championships history the match between the legitimate world champion and a legitimate candidate won’t be a fight for the title of the strongest chess player of the world"

So true, haha

In Kasparov's view, they are fighting for the right to be considered fourth best - behind himself, though long retired now, Carlsen, and Aronian, who are playing a clear step above the others in the Super Elite category like Kramnik and Anand. 

Yes, and while it is true, it's kind of an insult, but the World Championship site still has it posted anyway.  I wonder if they realize what he actually meant?

kunjan_kp
losingmove wrote:
bresando wrote:

It will of course be possible. Both on the dedicated website (seemingly with commentary provided by svidler!) and in dozens of places around the web.

Will it be free?

I believe it will be free on the official website.....because i myself watched Anand- Topalov match-ups live in 2010.....

Shadowrook

I deeply respect both Anand and Gelfand.  I think many people on this site are being very disparaging towards Boris Gelfand.  Gelfand has been a superGM for decades now and deserves honor and respect from the chess community.  Perhaps Anand will win, but don't count out Boris.  God's speed to both of them.   

fabelhaft
pellik wrote:

What more could you want from a match?

Other participants? :-)

kunjan_kp

Please be respectful people. Remember Gelfand and Anand are two of the most experienced players currently. Boris Gelfand, though he is not in his best time, but has produced some wonderful games over the years. He doesn't deserve the treatment and criticism dt some of you are throwing at him.

waffllemaster

I really like Anand, and Gelfand is a very strong player.  However I don't think it's rude to say the pairing is not good for a WC match.

Crazychessplaya

+1. I'd rather see an Anand - Carlsen or Anand - Radjabov match.

fabelhaft
Crazychessplaya wrote:

+1. I'd rather see an Anand - Carlsen or Anand - Radjabov match.

Yes, Carlsen is often mentioned but just compare Gelfand to a player like Radjabov, who is clearly below Carlsen's strength. Since 2008 Gelfand had white in six of his eight games against Radjabov and scored +0 -4 =4. Radjabov is even against Anand after wins in 2003 and 2008, while Gelfand hasn't won against Anand in 19 years. Radjabov also has a career plus against Kasparov while Gelfand's stats look worse at Chessgames.com:

Player: Boris Gelfand 
Player profile: Garry Kasparov 

Classical games: Garry Kasparov beat Boris Gelfand 13 to 0, with 8 draws.
StevenBailey13

If Anand brings his A-game he will walk it , but if he continues his slump and Gelfand continues his fluking then... Anand will still probably win.

neeleshmaharaj

Go vegan. Stop the murder of billions of animals. Stop the animal holocaust. See the real world

jesterville

Well, Anand is one of my fav players currently...especially since he shows respect and humility...traits lacking in most WCC.

I predict Anand will mop the floor with Gelfand...but be careful, remember there are also non-chess factors which may affect the outcome of any game. Anand lost the first game of the previous WCC due to "jetlag"...insufficient recovery time after his 30 hour car journey forced upon him by the volcano. So anything from sickness to "getting off the wrong side of the bed" can influence a result.

For those who seem uncertain where they can view the game live...the sites I usually follow are chess.com, chessbomb and the official site.