Forums

What does the "N" mean ? and the "cross" ?

Sort:
RomyGer

@ idreesarif, post 41 : thank you so much for your answers !  My post-text was apparently written too fast, without checking afterwards... and I nota bene said that I did not re-play the given games yet, so I did not see what you now told me !

By the way : I have said that I could imagine that a certain letter was used, so not specifically the letter N, but this is my language-problem.

And forget my remark about a word beginning with an N, no good remark!

But now something better : I have found the following in The Oxford Companion to Chess , I quote :

In the San Francisco 1987 tournament the game Miles - Christiansen began 1 e4 e5  2 Nf3 Nf6  3 Nxe5 d6  4 Nf3 Nxe4  5 Nc3 Bf5  6 Nxe4 Bxe4  7 d3 and was drawn on move 20.     The game was published, with 5 ... Bf5 indicated as a TN.

At Biel 1988 Anand played it against Zapata, who replied with 6 Qe2 and Anand resigned.  This is one of the quickest losses by a Grandmaster, notable because he did not play a single move of his own.   The players in the earlier game had not overlooked this decisive reply, but their game was an agreed draw and the moves they played were merely to observe formalities.   Unquote.

Well, perhaps a further step in the N vs TN story, it is up to better players as I am to judge the  5 ... Bf5 TN ,  

idreesarif

so it means a theoretical novelty can even be a bad move .....

Ziryab
idreesarif wrote:

so it means a theoretical novelty can even be a bad move .....

Yes. In Chess Informant, you will find the N (theoretical novelty) in nearly every game. These range from brilliant moves to outrageous blunders. Of the good ones, a panel votes on the best of each issue. The top theoretical novelty is then republished, often with additional commentary, in the next issue.

MickinMD

Thanks, three years after the original answers!  I was confused by the N in notation like "dxc6!N" and couldn't find an explanation in the few notation explanation webpages I found.

BronsteinPawn

N = Thriller

ilikewindmills
is dxc6!N a Caro-Kann Exchange line?
Barry_Helafonte2

n is novelty

MartinMChess

omg this cross is so weird, that even I started to look around the internet but if it actually checks, now that makes me feel dumb as hell xD

Barry_Helafonte2

cross means only move

Ziryab
bluejars wrote:

cross means only move

No. Box means only move.

Barry_Helafonte2

i wear a cross on my neck sometimes

vskadalli
InsanePlayer99 wrote:

I'm also curious to know what it means. happy.png Never seen it before this thread came along and it really strikes me as odd.

yes same here

vskadalli

Or maybe probably the cross is just a fancy check because notice that there are no +s