What happened to Josh Waitzkin?

  • #241

    It's OK as movies go, but the advice given to the kid is really not at all what a decent chess coach would give. (You'll know it when you hear it.)

  • #242
    Alfieri17 wrote:
    Conflagration_Planet wrote:
    Dilshod_Mirziyoyev wrote:

    It was his word in movie when he got beat with belt and shoe and lock in cage in basement no food or water for many day after losing chess game.  Yes father sometime "push" son hard in sport but what happen to this boy is TOO MUCH even coming from hardened Uzbek battle veteran. 

    I read in Uzbek press that Josh Waitzikin father learn of these technique by study of Uday Hussein when Uday was control of Iraqi Olympic sport team.

    Put down the pipe, and back away slowly.

    I heard the same thing about Uday Hussein and Josh Watizkin's father on the Italian television show "Report". 

    Odd, he didn't mention it in the book he wrote when he was 18. Read "Attacking Chess." Sounded like him, and his dad had the greatist relationship in the world. Read it, and you'll know what I mean.

  • #243
    Book is available on Amazon paperback for a song.
    It one of the ones I like.
  • #244

    I only paid 3 or 4 bucks for mine. :)

  • #245
    DrSpudnik wrote:

    It's OK as movies go, but the advice given to the kid is really not at all what a decent chess coach would give. (You'll know it when you hear it.)

    Bruce Pandolfini is a columnist here, right?

    He could post his opinion Laughing

  • #246

    I'm sure he's seen the movie. I'd like to know his opinion of that scene.

  • #247

    Conflagration_planet,

    That sounds like really sick and abusive parenting. No wonder he gave up

    competitive chess down the road!

  • #248

    I just read an article by him, where he says he was lucky to have such wonderful parents.

  • #249

    ?????

  • #250
    JohnClairlively wrote:
    Allegretta wrote:

    ?????

    Abused children often live in denial.

    He's hardly a child anymore. I guess you would rather believe some bs internet rumor, than Waitzkin himself, who should know.

  • #251
    JohnClairlively wrote:
    Conflagration_Planet wrote:
    JohnClairlively wrote:
    Allegretta wrote:

    ?????

    Abused children often live in denial.

    He's hardly a child anymore. I guess you would rather believe some bs internet rumor, than Waitzkin himself, who should know.

    All living people get to be children first.  If there are any more of these rigorous cognitive leaps I can shepherd you across, let me know.

    He told about his childhood in his book, but don't facts get in the way of your convictions.

  • #252

    “Josh didn’t have enough of a killer instinct to be successful in chess. That’s probably why he switched to something more peaceful.”

    Carlsen 16/01/2014

    http://en.chessbase.com/post/carlsen-wins-silicon-valley

  • #253
    socialista skrev:

    “Josh didn’t have enough of a killer instinct to be successful in chess. That’s probably why he switched to something more peaceful.”

    Carlsen 16/01/2014

    http://en.chessbase.com/post/carlsen-wins-silicon-valley

    it is a bit wierd statement coming from number 1 in the world. why the need to say this.

    I have seen many games by Josh there he showed he was a fighter.

  • #254

    Maybe Carlsen was joking but I don´t know.

  • #255

    He was.

  • #256

    I rented a waitzkin book from the library years back i think it was attacking at chess, it was an energetic powerful look at what seemed to me at the time  a moderately interesting board game. I love chess today, i really don't know if that would be the case without his book

  • #257
    U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D wrote:

    I rented a waitzkin book from the library years back i think it was attacking at chess, it was an energetic powerful look at what seemed to me at the time  a moderately interesting board game. I love chess today, i really don't know if that would be the case without his book

    As far as I know, that's the only chess book he's ever written. The Art of Learning isn't about chess.

  • #258

    id have to go back and read it now- but at the time really gripped me, got me excited and blood thirsty

    too bad he didnt write more

  • #259

    Buy it. It's cheap.

  • #260

    think i will

Top
or Join

Online Now