Forums

what is the best way to improve your chess?

Sort:
Rook98

anyone?

konhidras

improve on the basics

Rook98
konhidras wrote:

improve on the basics

yeah actuly i have heard a Gm say that before prehaps its worth giving a go

Kingpatzer

Appropriate deliberate practice.

sw_fanatic

Ah, so you're the guy I always see commenting on Chessexplained's videos. I guess I'll have to check out your channel sometime.

Regarding the actual question: I dunno. Hoping to find out soon though; I have a list of things I'm planning on doing regularly.

What's your grade by the way?

Benedictine

The best way to improve your chess would surely depend upon the individual, where they are and what rating level they are at?

Rook98
sw_fanatic wrote:

Ah, so you're the guy I always see commenting on Chessexplained's videos. I guess I'll have to check out your channel sometime.

Regarding the actual question: I dunno. Hoping to find out soon though; I have a list of things I'm planning on doing regularly.

What's your grade by the way?

haha yes please do check out my channel and by grade do you mean rating? if so my rating OTB approxamatly is 1600 :)

farbrortheguru

Playing chess and analyzing your own games plus lots of tactics.

Rook98
farbrortheguru wrote:

Playing chess and analyzing your own games plus lots of tactics.

i have  watch'd a video from igor smirnov and he say that lots of tactics does not improve your play but i have heard that annalyzing your own games is good :) thanks

farbrortheguru

Igor is pretty alone downgrading the importance of tactics. But of course, too much of wonderful tactics problems based on queen sacrifices is wasted. There are a few nice collection oc tactics problems based on games from average players. You might want to check them out!!

ajttja

don't play bullet if you really want blitz then do ten minutes you have to give yourself enough time to analize the positon

look at my rating, an game i have more time to look at the position to better i am at it. this is the best way to go from begginer (<1200) to inter mediate (1800>1200)

Benedictine

1600? I've read a lot about how to go about improving from high rated players (so to maximise my chances of improving and not to waste time) and based upon what I have read, here are my suggestions:

1 Get a chess coach. If you can afford to do so.

2 Play longer time control games (not blitz) and analyse your losses (or even wins but losses tend to be better). Look for one or two key errors in the game, try to learn from those mistakes. You could also keep a note of how you lost and look for any pattern/weakness in your play.

3 Do tactics daily. (Perhaps a range of different tactics at different difficulties so that you can practice board vision and longer calculation). I do tactics trainer and book puzzles.

4 Go through annotated master games/high level games. Personally I go through with a few each day and try to read the board myself and then see the move played. This I find helps with strategy the most, but of course the complete game contains everything.

5 Other. A little left over for anything else you fancy, endgame, openings, chess videos, computer work etc.

This is the plan I am following from around the 1st Dec this year.

Rook98
Benedictine wrote:

1600? I've read a lot about how to go about improving from high rated players (so to maximise my chances of improving and not to waste time) and based upon what I have read, here are my suggestions:

1 Get a chess coach. If you can afford to do so.

2 Play longer time control games (not blitz) and analyse your losses (or even wins but losses tend to be better). Look for one or two key errors in the game, try to learn from those mistakes. You could also keep a note of how you lost and look for any pattern/weakness in your play.

3 Do tactics daily. (Perhaps a range of different tactics at different difficulties so that you can practice board vision and longer calculation). I do tactics trainer and book puzzles.

4 Go through annotated master games/high level games. Personally I go through with a few each day and try to read the board myself and then see the move played. This I find helps with strategy the most, but of course the complete game contains everything.

5 Other. A little left over for anything else you fancy, endgame, openings, chess videos, computer work etc.

This is the plan I am following from around the 1st Dec this year.

thanks i will try some off these but i can't get a chess coach there to much money

Benedictine

OK. The next best thing without a coach is to go through your games with a friend, even same rated, two heads are better than one and all that.

NimzoRoy

Start reading some of the articles here, use the Tactics Trainer, read a chess book like My System or The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played.

There have been LOTS of blogs about this question, start going thru a few and see what others have to say here as well as in your own blog 

sw_fanatic

I'd also recommend looking at Farbror's training guide:

http://blog.chess.com/farbrortheguru/silver-tape-chess-training----draft

It's a very interesting read.

royalbishop
Rook98 wrote:
konhidras wrote:

improve on the basics

yeah actuly i have heard a Gm say that before prehaps its worth giving a go

Not in the position to a be an expert on this subject to help.

I will go ask a GM then tell you what they said about it.