Forums

What is the most SURPRISING incident happen with you while playing OTB tourney?

Sort:
Scrap-O-Matic
ThrillerFan wrote:
Scrap-O-Matic wrote:

Hmmm.

Nothing too weird.

At the LOTS (Land of the Sky) tournament many, many years ago I witnessed a guy wear the exact same cotton sweat suit for all 5 rounds. It was navy blue and he was a rather large individual. He reminded me of Violet Beauregarde after she chewed the experimental piece of gum. Hey if if its comfy and fits go with what works I guess.

In my first tournament I witnessed a "Chess mom" guiding her son through a game. She stood directly behind her son's opponent and would make faces until her son's hand hovered over the correct piece or pawn she wanted him to move. I wish I had a video of that, it was really obvious and quite comical. Eventually we were able to get her removed from the tournament hall. The TD was the most timid person ever to direct and she was hell on wheels all 4 and 1/2 feet (1.37 meters) of her.

I thought the poor guy was going to have a nervous breakdown when she started swearing at him in German.

How far back was many, many years ago?  I wonder if I was at that tournament.

I've been at Land of the Sky every year from 1999 to 2017 (and will be there in a month) with the exception of 2007 (simply busy) and 2010 (was at Tunica, Mississippi for a World Series of Poker Circuit Event).

It was 1998.

I remember them making a special announcement congratulating Mike Klein on being the only person to have attended every LOTS event in history. I wonder if he has maintained his streak.

Which reminds me... I went to check on some friends of mine that had just joined the USCF and were playing in the U1200 section. When I walked into the curtained off playing area a certain IM (who shall remain nameless) was in the process of chastising the room with a profanity laced tirade complete with a string of F-bombs. Telling them all to be quiet as there were serious games being played in the adjacent room. I don't think it even occurred to him that the U1200 section was comprised mainly of scholastic aged players.

You can't make this stuff up.

chesster3145

None OTB, but I have a fun online one.

Some years ago, I played a 30-minute game against someone who thought I was some famous actor. At the time I thought it was this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesster_Chay but it isn’t (the movies don’t match up with the actor at all).

She complimented me on “my” performances in “Top Gun” and “Jester” (which might be a movie but I’m not sure). Then after a little bit of thought, I disabled chat. It’s a shame, really. I should have humored her.

afrine

before the game had started this guy said he had been up all night and was tired, with about 3min

left on his clock fell asleep, and i won on time

ThrillerFan
Scrap-O-Matic wrote:
ThrillerFan wrote:
Scrap-O-Matic wrote:

Hmmm.

Nothing too weird.

At the LOTS (Land of the Sky) tournament many, many years ago I witnessed a guy wear the exact same cotton sweat suit for all 5 rounds. It was navy blue and he was a rather large individual. He reminded me of Violet Beauregarde after she chewed the experimental piece of gum. Hey if if its comfy and fits go with what works I guess.

In my first tournament I witnessed a "Chess mom" guiding her son through a game. She stood directly behind her son's opponent and would make faces until her son's hand hovered over the correct piece or pawn she wanted him to move. I wish I had a video of that, it was really obvious and quite comical. Eventually we were able to get her removed from the tournament hall. The TD was the most timid person ever to direct and she was hell on wheels all 4 and 1/2 feet (1.37 meters) of her.

I thought the poor guy was going to have a nervous breakdown when she started swearing at him in German.

How far back was many, many years ago?  I wonder if I was at that tournament.

I've been at Land of the Sky every year from 1999 to 2017 (and will be there in a month) with the exception of 2007 (simply busy) and 2010 (was at Tunica, Mississippi for a World Series of Poker Circuit Event).

It was 1998.

I remember them making a special announcement congratulating Mike Klein on being the only person to have attended every LOTS event in history. I wonder if he has maintained his streak.

Which reminds me... I went to check on some friends of mine that had just joined the USCF and were playing in the U1200 section. When I walked into the curtained off playing area a certain IM (who shall remain nameless) was in the process of chastising the room with a profanity laced tirade complete with a string of F-bombs. Telling them all to be quiet as there were serious games being played in the adjacent room. I don't think it even occurred to him that the U1200 section was comprised mainly of scholastic aged players.

You can't make this stuff up.

I guarantee you Klein has not maintained the streak at all.  I haven't seen him there in at least the last 10 years or so.

I believe a guy in the Under 1700 section named Bruce Goodwin currently holds the record for the most times attending Land of the Sky.  The one in 4 weeks will be my 18th time at that event (1999-2006, 2008-2009, 2011-2018).  Not sure if Bruce has been to all of them, or all but maybe a handful.  I don't even recall totally what number is coming up.  I want to say 31 (XXXI), but not 100% sure about that.  You start losing count when you've been to 18 Land of the Sky's, roughly a dozen LPO's, 8 World Opens, 6 Chicago Opens, 6 US Opens, 4 National Chess Congresses, 2 National Opens, 2 Continental Class Championships and a Foxwoods Open, to go along with numerous other events!  I believe in the 700s all told at the moment with closer to 2700 than 2600 games!

Lethal_Knights
iFrancisco wrote:

At the recent Collegiate Pan-Am in Dallas, there was a streaker (well, he had underwear on) who entered the room and ran across while yelling "whoooo." It was about 2 hours into the round so there was just under half the room still playing, but everyone just kinda froze and watched as the guy slowly ran across the room yelling. As he was exiting through the door, one of the GMs on the top boards (I believe it was Timur Gareev who is #4 in the US, but not 100% certain there) got up, shoved him, and took one of his shoes (why? I have no clue). The streaker looked shocked but still got up and continued running. No one saw him afterwards and nothing much was done about it, except the guy lost a shoe.

That's sus!

Don

I lost a game :/