Forums

What is the most SURPRISING incident happen with you while playing OTB tourney?

Sort:
johnyoudell

Weelll. As the lad was crying.

I ... think ... she ... did right.

Yes, she did right.

A nice girl. She's going to make some other lad (or this one, who knows) very happy one day.

chessgdt

This wasnt during a game, but rather the first round of each tourney-

In the pacific coast open from 2010-2012, on the first round of each of them, i received a full point bye every time. 3 YEARS IN A ROW?!?!?!?!?!

Apoapsis

In one game I played against a weak opponent, he moved a pinned piece. Instead of  showing him that the move was illegal, I captured his king. Then we reset the pieces and replayed from before his illegal move. This happened thrice in two games.

October_sky

One tournament I played in was a national middle school competition and there were about 500-600 kids playing our 1st round in a giant room. About 45 minutes into the game (time incrament was 2-hours each) the microphone on the podium short circuts and sends an explosion of noise that echoes around the room. What seemed like every other person in the room screamed out and jumped up with a start which caused many games to be knocked about and an entire table almost flipped over. Luckily for me, I had been in a deep think so I wasn't startled like many of the other people and I got to enjoy watching the ensuing chaos. 

k00patr00pa
UltraLaser wrote:

One very funny moment in an otb tournament was at a junior tourn, with ages ranging from 6-12. I remember the room was completely silent while people were playing, then suddenly someone shouted "HAHAHAHAHA CHECKMATE I WIN!!!!" breaking the dead silence, then the next thing, his opponent shouted back "WHAT NO IT ISN'T I AM WINNING!!!". Everybody in the room then burst out laughing, and when an arbiter went over to their board, they both started crying because everyone was looking towards them and laughing. It turned out that they were both 8-year-olds and that it was checkmate :) I don't think the room became silent again until after the round had finished!

Chess Palace this year?! I was there!!

snip3z

Well, when i was playing recently, this dog came running through the venue. Then it proceeded to run into multiple boards and knock all the pieces onto the ground. :/ Wasn't a good day :(

MoonlessNight

The dogs owner was probably losing :)

chessgdt
Shadowknight911 wrote:

well that could easily happen if you played up a section or two sections all the time.

Here is this rating and section for each:

12 | SPENCER TOY                    |3.5  |B    |L   6|D   7|L  24|W  23|W  20|
   CA | 14256286 / R: 1565   ->1576    |N:3  |     |     |     |     |     |     |

3 | SPENCER TOY                    |4.5  |B   0|W  13|D  10|W   7|L   1|W   8|
   CA | 14256286 / R: 1381   ->1485    |N:3  |     |     |     |     |     |     |

4 | SPENCER TOY                    |4.5  |B   0|W  36|D  16|W  23|D   3|D  10|
   CA | 14256286 / R:  902P22->1186    |N:4  |     |     |     |     |     |     |

the first one is the one where i played up. i had the 902 rating, and never lost.

piphilologist

why did you all delete your comments? Frown

SmyslovFan

I was directing a quick chess tournament where one side of the venue was all windows. A black bear ambled right beside the building and almost all of the top rated players jumped to the window to watch. A couple of (high rated) idiots even went outside to follow the bear. It turns out it was a mother bear, and those people were lucky they didn't cut her off from the two cubs that came up to join her from the other side of the building.

Several players were upset to find they had lost on time!

fianchetto123
[COMMENT DELETED]
splitleaf

Don't know if this has already been posted on here somewhere.  Didn't happen at a tourney, but maybe the op will make an exception since its a funny story and cute little film:

anpu3

Here's a little tale with the moral being... know when to keep my mouth shut.

About 16 years ago our small local club hosted a weekend tournament.  Only 20 or so in attendance and all were familiar with one another.  The TD was a friend of mine.  The other key characters I will call Frog and Toad for the sake of anonymity.

Going into the last round, Frog & Toad see they are paired together.  Being close friends they say in the presence of myself & others that they will quickly agree to a draw and proceed to the nearest exotic dancing girl bar. (I'm paraphrasing for PG purposes here).

Well, pre-arranged draws are one thing but this was pretty blatant.  So, I told my TD friend.  He then confronted Frog about it and to say the least; harsh words led to the TD chasing Frog into the parking lot.  We onlookers thought for a moment they might come to blows.  Frog & Toad both got a foreit which was backed up by the USCF despite their(mostly Frog's)  protest.

Flash forward a few months.  Now Frog is hosting a tourney and denies my TD friend entry based on the rule that the TD has the right to deny entry to anyone he chooses.

Talk about "bad blood"!  To this day these guys still hold a grudge.

And all because I opened my well intentioned big mouth.  I wish I could take it back now because it caused more trouble than it was worth.

Opinions?   What would you have done?

whirlwind2011

@anpu3: I think you and the TD did well.

david_plays_chess
Vishal_Gupta wrote:

When I went to play my first tournament when I was 12yrs old. In my first game my opponent made a illegal move that exposed his king to check, I did not realise that and the game continued for 4 more moves till I realised it and we took all our 4 moves back and the guy agreed to it.

Man, how often would you get a break like that. It's a very nice thing to do for a 12 year old. Did you win the game?

anpu3

Thanks for your agreement.  I wanted to do the right thing but as I said the fallout still lingers.

DazBedford11

Last season in a league match i forked a guys queen and king with my night, he immediatly said i didnt see that can i take it back?? funny as it gets for me sorry

ozzie_c_cobblepot

How old was Frog then and how old now?

whirlwind2011
Shadowknight911 wrote:

there is nothing illegal (i.e. in the USCF or FIDE rulebooks) about pre-arranged draws, so the TD was wrong to proceed down that path.  Unethical, you can make a good argument for in some situations, but not illegal.  ...

While some may be unconvinced, FIDE Article 12.1: "The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute," and Article 12.6: "It is forbidden to ... annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes ... unreasonable offers of a draw ..." could be understood as rendering collusion illegal. In the latter case, though the opponent would not be annoyed, the tournament director could be. And if a TD can deny any person entry into an event on any basis, can he/she not also eject a competitor from an event on any basis?

fdar

12.6 clearly does not apply, since neither player was annoyed.

12.1 is extremely vague, I guess it could be read as banning anything you happen not to like.

Being able to deny entry for any reason is not the same that being able to eject a player for any reason, specially if an EF has been paid and not refunded. And it definitely doesn't mean a TD can force a player to forfeit a game for any reason...