Forums

What is the most SURPRISING incident happen with you while playing OTB tourney?

Sort:
Abhishek2

lol you could have

1) found the board # and looked at the pairing sheet to see his name

2) ASK HIM! lol.

Ubik42

I did say it was surprising. Well, I implied it by posting it here.

coalescenet

Apparently  bullshi*=6.

shoopi

I don't believe that Bobby story for a second.

bigpoison
Ubik42 wrote:

Wow!  I too am surprised...at least by the reaction to your post.  I, too, once ran into Fischer, but at a fishing tournament.

TheGrobe
bigpoison wrote:
Ubik42 wrote:

Wow!  I too am surprised...at least by the reaction to your post.  I, too, once ran into Fischer, but at a fishing tournament.

*rimshot*

FakeName6

bigpoison wrote:

Ubik42 wrote:

rofl! I assume you meant this as a joke, but if it is real then it is even funnier!

Suvel

I had a water bottle next to be and my opponent said that i wasnt allowed to have a water bottle, it was a form of cheating??? WTH

so we called the TD and he settled it and my opponent lost 5 min.

EN-swiftsaab
FakeName6 wrote:

bigpoison wrote:

Ubik42 wrote:

rofl! I assume you meant this as a joke, but if it is real then it is even funthenier!

there is a quote button u know

TheGrobe

FakeName6

I used the quote button but it turned out like that, probably because I am on an iPad but in safari.

atarw

I was at a tourney, and my friend was too. My friend faced this other guy, and he was down a piece in about 20 moves. Keep in mind, he was facing a 900 guy, and my friend was 1400. After 5 moves or so, the other guy OFFERED MY FRIEND A DRAW!!! There was no reason, when I asked him why, the guy said he was being nice. 

If only we can all have opponents like that. 

9thEagle
DaBigOne wrote:

I was at a tourney, and my friend was too. My friend faced this other guy, and he was down a piece in about 20 moves. Keep in mind, he was facing a 900 guy, and my friend was 1400. After 5 moves or so, the other guy OFFERED MY FRIEND A DRAW!!! There was no reason, when I asked him why, the guy said he was being nice. 

If only we can all have opponents like that. 

He could have also been afraid that he would lose later on . . . would you offer a 2200 a draw if you went up a piece early on? And you're much less likely to make a simple blunder than a 900 player would.

Plenty of times I've gone up against guys much higher rated then me, start winning, and decline the draw offer. A few moves later and I've blundered my queen.

UltraLaser

I hate declining draws and then losing lol

EN-swiftsaab

i know

-waller-
9thEagle wrote:

Would you offer a 2200 a draw if you went up a piece early on?

I wouldn't offer a GM a draw - chances are I entered a chess tournament to play chess. Taking an early draw is something that doesn't seem logical to me, unless you are a chess professional, fixated on rating points, or there are extenuating circumstances. Why not play on, and if you lose, then you can surely take a lesson from the game.

anpu3

Suvel_K' said...I had a water bottle next to be and my opponent said that i wasnt allowed to have a water bottle, it was a form of cheating??? WTH

Reminds me of another World Open oddity.  For the first few years that I attended in the U1600 section there was always one guy that had an odd drinking cup.  It was maybe 20 oz give or take but the kicker was that it had a top lid in the fashion of a roaring tiger.  Maybe it was a football thing like an LSU fan cup?  Anyway the head on this thing could really distract you.  I never played against him but he was always a few boards near to me and he was sure to place it facing his opponent.  I can see that tiger head in my mind to this day.  And since he brought it year after year; I assume as in the case above that the TDs were okay with it. 

BetweenTheWheels
[COMMENT DELETED]
BetweenTheWheels
Suvel_Karmarkar wrote:

I had a water bottle next to be and my opponent said that i wasnt allowed to have a water bottle, it was a form of cheating??? WTH

I remember reading a story about Bobby Fischer accusing the Russians of helping Spassky by signaling him with different colored drinks. One color might signal, "This line has been known to favor White" while another color might signal, "He's played a novelty that has been refuted in practice." So if someone brought you the water, his accusation isn't entirely baseless.

varelse1

I know Kortchnoi was accussing Karpov of that, with yogurt, I think.