what is your opinion about chess 960 ?

GoodBoyDaryl

simple question

JessieMillano2015

Boring and pointless. I don't think it'll help you become a better 'traditional chess' player. As much as I admire Fischer is my dislike for Fischerandom.

2Late4Work

A friend of mine remembers openings good, such as the first 10 moves in different London setups. But he doesn't pay attention to what black does. And he is very poor in the middle game. I belove players like that would improve if they played 960 to throw away the opening lines and just play head against head.

2Late4Work

catdogorb wrote:

2Late4Work wrote:

play head against head.

Except chess is a skill. No one above beginner level plays "head against head."

No one says a painter, or sports player, or etc is cheating because they practice. In fact it's the ability to study and practice chess that makes it a deep game.

Chess 960 wouldn't help a player be better, because they're not getting practice in e.g. standard pawn structures. What would help a player like you describe is picking up a book on strategy.

He has like 10 books and 15 DVD's. But it doesn't help. He is the king of blunders. My advice to him is to do tactics and start looking at new beginner videoes instead of advanced DVD's on The french, The London. And give a f... about the opening and just play on your own ideas, not lines.

superchessmachine

I do not play chess 960 seriously. It could help your tactics and planning in some cases though. I only play it at clubs when I am tired

GoodBoyDaryl
2Late4Work wrote:
catdogorb wrote:
2Late4Work wrote:

play head against head.

Except chess is a skill. No one above beginner level plays "head against head."

No one says a painter, or sports player, or etc is cheating because they practice. In fact it's the ability to study and practice chess that makes it a deep game.

Chess 960 wouldn't help a player be better, because they're not getting practice in e.g. standard pawn structures. What would help a player like you describe is picking up a book on strategy.

He has like 10 books and 15 DVD's. But it doesn't help. He is the king of blunders. My advice to him is to do tactics and start looking at new beginner videoes instead of advanced DVD's on The french, The London. And give a f... about the opening and just play on your own ideas, not lines.

i think your friend is not improving because he doesnt care about chess its just a passing time for him

king_and_killer

it's pure imagination

you leave the theory aside

ThrillerFan

400 chess books is enough.  Don't need 384,000 because of 959 other starting positions.

KingSullian
king_and_killer wrote:

it's pure imagination

you leave the theory aside

Yes, well said. That was what I wanted to articulate. An analogy in mathematics would be all the variables on each side of the = sign could not be reduced to a single variable, number or expression. 

GoodBoyDaryl
ThrillerFan wrote:

400 chess books is enough.  Don't need 384,000 because of 959 other starting positions.

that's the point of chess 960, no chess books