Forums

What makes "My System" by nimzowitch such a good chess book?

Sort:
Heidrich

What makes my system such a good chess book 

Heidrich

Also how can you get the most out of studying it? 

transpo

What makes my system such a good chess book

Chess is siege warfare in the form of a board game. All siege warfare employs 3 methodologies (strategies): restrain, blockade, execute--the enemy. in his book, "My System", Aaron Nimzowitsch explains in words, diagrams, and variations how to apply restrain, blockade and execute on the chess board. 

Also how can you get the most out of studying it?

By keeping in mind that the whole book is written from the perspective of Hypermodern Chess Opening Theory.

transpo

Whaleeyeman wrote:

Yes Transpo, but how does the book help out the "professional gunslinger" milieu?

Almost every 'professional gunslinger', (very strong player), got that way by reading and studying, "My System". If you don't believe me, do your own poll of the titled players on this website.

Heidrich

link me when you find it please im not very content yet. 

Isaiah_41-10

Chess players ought to see if their styles are comparable before devoting an enormous amount of time to My System. Players whose styles are more comparable to Tal or Alekhine may not get as much out of it

TheOldReb

Studying  " My System " ( Nimzovich ) will benefit anyone  imo .  

Bruch

What is the appropriate level to begin My System?  I've read the first three Seirawan books, Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, Dan Heisman's Tactics book and most of Chernev's Logical Chess.  I'm only around 800 in blitz (time trouble) but around 1300 on turn-based chess.  Nimzo is one of several books I'm considering next, others include Silman's endgame book or perhaps another tactics workbook.  The IM at my local chess club recommended My System and I've heard so much hype about this book...

bronsteinitz

I would skip Nimzowitsch and go straight away to John Watson - secrets of modern chess strategy - advances since Nimzowitsch....

gundamv
Isaiah_41-10 wrote:

Chess players ought to see if their styles are comparable before devoting an enormous amount of time to My System. Players whose styles are more comparable to Tal or Alekhine may not get as much out of it

Which books should a player with a style more comparable to Tal or Alekhine read?

RonaldJosephCote

Look in "articles", at this site. Someone has explained the 1st 4 chapters.

Bardu

My System is great for a number of reasons.

• It is a great learning tool, perhaps more so than any other written work on the subject.
  • It is a treatise on Nimzowitsch's ideas. These ideas have gone on to widely influence play and theory over the next 90 years. They are presented here, by Nimzowitsch himself, in their original form.