Forums

What will be the impact of chess being solved?

Sort:
Yereslov

It's impossible to memorize every single chess position.

That's really not necessary. Chess software only has to understand certain positional tactics and rules to get ahead.

Deedlit
theSicilianDragon wrote:

Hi guys, with regards to a quantum computing solution:

The power of a quantum computer is still limited by how much storage space it has. Even on a normal computer, chess is a constant-time problem (with a gigantic constant), and is a problem which will require a complete game tree to solve. This puts chess in the realm of problems for which the limiting factor is storage space, not computing time. A quantum computer will still need to store this entire game tree to deterministically solve chess, and thus, the benefit of quantum computing is negligible. QC is great for problems with a large amount of math, but chess reduces to a set of queries on a gigantic database. Hopefully, memory encoding becomes efficient enough for me to see chess being solved, but this is unlikely at best. The best thing QC can do for chess comes from a higher storage density, but this improvement would have to be colossal to even make a dent in the problem.

Hi everyone, first post.  I wanted to post because a lot of what is being said in this thread is misinformed regarding the possible solution of chess.  It is *not* required that a computer store the entire game tree of chess in order to solve it, as TheSicilianDragon said.  For example, a straightforward solution is an ordered depth-first search through the game tree - this only requires that the current game path be stored, so the storage requirement is simply the length of the longest game.

Many other posts claim the impossibility of solving chess, and I believe these statements primarily stem from the 10^120 figure that is commonly thrown around in these discussions.  It is true that 10^120 is very large, but it is of little relevance to the solution of chess. The number was produced by Claude Shannon as an approximation to the number of possible 40-move games (40 being the estimated length of the average game).  But the crucial point is that the efficient algorithms for solving chess do not search through games, they search through *positions*.  And the number of positions of chess is approximately 10^44, far less than 10^120, and far less than the number of atoms in the observable universe.

Further, it is not necessary to even search through all positions to solve chess!  Alpha-beta and other pruning methods have the potential of reducing the number of searched positions required by as much as the square root.  So chess could conceivably be solved by searching through as few as 10^22 positions.  This is more than we are currently able to search through, but can one seriously state that we will *never* be able to search through 10^22 positions?

For a less optimistic estimate, we can look at the solution to checkers.  Checkers has approximately 10^21 positions, yet only 10^14 positions were searched in the 2007 solution.  So it required about n^(2/3) positions.  If the same were to hold for chess, then about 10^29 positions will need to be searched.  This is more, but again, by what reasoning can one confidently state that 10^29 will *never* be achievable?

In summary, the general belief that chess is unsolvable seems to be based on bad information.  In any case, to argue effectively that chess is unsolvable, one must argue for an upper bound to the ultimate performance of computers, and I don't know of any good argument.

I'm also curious about what Kingpatzer meant by saying there is no theoretical basis for a solution to chess.  Theoretically, the problem is simple - there are numerous finite algorithms that will definitively solve the problem.  Our current computers are not able to run such algorithms,  but this a practical consideration, not a theoretical one.  It's simply a matter of whether or not computers will get sufficiently more powerful to solve the problem.  "No theoretical basis" is a misnomer.

Kingpatzer
Deedlit wrote:
theSicilianDragon wrote:

I'm also curious about what Kingpatzer meant by saying there is no theoretical basis for a solution to chess.  Theoretically, the problem is simple - there are numerous finite algorithms that will definitively solve the problem.  Our current computers are not able to run such algorithms,  but this a practical consideration, not a theoretical one.  It's simply a matter of whether or not computers will get sufficiently more powerful to solve the problem.  "No theoretical basis" is a misnomer.

A complete solution to chess would resemble tablebases, whereby you could input any legal position and you would get not by calculation, but by lookup, the best outcome for each side, and the moves which take one to that conclussion, including all equivilant branches.

When I say no theoretical basis exists for solving this problem, I mean this in the sense that no current theorized advances in computer science are sufficient, if realized in actuality, to produce such a solution.That is, there is no basis to suggest that at some future date such a hard solution will exist as it is not merely a matter of theorized advances being made real which stand in our way.

However, I have conceded repeatedly that a partial (or 'soft') solution, such as you propose, is possible. Wherein one would not be able to look up any legal position to determine the best continuation, but one would be able to say with certainty if the game is a forced win, draw or loss for either side.

Yereslov
Deedlit wrote:
theSicilianDragon wrote:

Hi guys, with regards to a quantum computing solution:

The power of a quantum computer is still limited by how much storage space it has. Even on a normal computer, chess is a constant-time problem (with a gigantic constant), and is a problem which will require a complete game tree to solve. This puts chess in the realm of problems for which the limiting factor is storage space, not computing time. A quantum computer will still need to store this entire game tree to deterministically solve chess, and thus, the benefit of quantum computing is negligible. QC is great for problems with a large amount of math, but chess reduces to a set of queries on a gigantic database. Hopefully, memory encoding becomes efficient enough for me to see chess being solved, but this is unlikely at best. The best thing QC can do for chess comes from a higher storage density, but this improvement would have to be colossal to even make a dent in the problem.

Hi everyone, first post.  I wanted to post because a lot of what is being said in this thread is misinformed regarding the possible solution of chess.  It is *not* required that a computer store the entire game tree of chess in order to solve it, as TheSicilianDragon said.  For example, a straightforward solution is an ordered depth-first search through the game tree - this only requires that the current game path be stored, so the storage requirement is simply the length of the longest game.

Many other posts claim the impossibility of solving chess, and I believe these statements primarily stem from the 10^120 figure that is commonly thrown around in these discussions.  It is true that 10^120 is very large, but it is of little relevance to the solution of chess. The number was produced by Claude Shannon as an approximation to the number of possible 40-move games (40 being the estimated length of the average game).  But the crucial point is that the efficient algorithms for solving chess do not search through games, they search through *positions*.  And the number of positions of chess is approximately 10^44, far less than 10^120, and far less than the number of atoms in the observable universe.

Further, it is not necessary to even search through all positions to solve chess!  Alpha-beta and other pruning methods have the potential of reducing the number of searched positions required by as much as the square root.  So chess could conceivably be solved by searching through as few as 10^22 positions.  This is more than we are currently able to search through, but can one seriously state that we will *never* be able to search through 10^22 positions?

For a less optimistic estimate, we can look at the solution to checkers.  Checkers has approximately 10^21 positions, yet only 10^14 positions were searched in the 2007 solution.  So it required about n^(2/3) positions.  If the same were to hold for chess, then about 10^29 positions will need to be searched.  This is more, but again, by what reasoning can one confidently state that 10^29 will *never* be achievable?

In summary, the general belief that chess is unsolvable seems to be based on bad information.  In any case, to argue effectively that chess is unsolvable, one must argue for an upper bound to the ultimate performance of computers, and I don't know of any good argument.

Why would the computer need to memorize every single position?

nameno1had
ilikeflags wrote:

prideful? who said you were prideful? i think you act like a dick but i have never once used or thought the word -- prideful.

What characterises the behavior you quantify, as that of a d!@k? Everyone hates being one upped, especially when they didn't deserve it. If you put a guy in his place and he deserved it, but can't take it and has to get revenge, it is spiteful behavior, otherwise known as prideful behavior...

Its simple, everytime someone like you tries to tell me I am wrong, when I have clearly demonstrated otherwise and you won't let it go, its your pride you wont swallow and everytime I decide to outduel your pride, I am generally left to rely on my own...

nameno1had
[COMMENT DELETED]
nameno1had

I learned from the best...

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

prideful? who said you were prideful? i think you act like a dick but i have never once used or thought the word -- prideful.

What characterises the behavior you quantify, as that of a d!@k? Everyone hates being one upped, especially when they didn't deserve it. If you put a guy in his place and he deserved it, but can't take it and has to get revenge, it is spiteful behavior, otherwise known as prideful behavior...

Its simple, everytime someone like you tries to tell me I am wrong, when I have clearly demonstrated otherwise and you won't let it go, its your pride you wont swallow and everytime I decide to outduel your pride, I am generally left to rely on my own...

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

nameno1had
chrisr2212 wrote:

"you sure know how to whistle Dixie, punk"

I saw a rose that kept changing its petals...I drove past Tralee Ave today on my way home from work and was reminded...

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
chrisr2212 wrote:

I saw a rose that kept changing its petals...I drove past Tralee Ave today on my way home from work and was reminded...

chris is from cork you feckin' eejit. 

zborg

"Danger, Danger, Will Rogers."  Chess is being solved during the commercial break.

This is one scary thread.  Laughing 

nameno1had
ilikeflags wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
chrisr2212 wrote:

chris is from cork you feckin' eejit. 

I hadn't failed to either read her profile or retain the information. I was referring to a private conversation her and I had...if it doesn't make sense for you now, I'm sorry I can't help you...

bigpoison

Oh my.

ilikeflags

'her and i'. meow!

Conflagration_Planet

Does anybody here have Windows 7?