Forums

What's your Morphy Number?

Sort:
rrrttt
Joseph-S wrote:
ivandh wrote:

I played NN who played Morphy

I'm pretty sure we won't get a lower number than that.  So what do you say we go ahead and crown Ivandh the winner.

I am NN!

Elroch

(waiting for someone to announce "I am Morphy")

oinquarki
Elroch wrote:

(waiting for someone to announce "I am Morphy")

I was going to but now it's no fun.

rrrttt

If you played in Kasparov vs the world or Karpov vs the world, your number is 5.

bjazz

7: PrawnEatsPrawn -> Kacparov ->> Short ->>> Kholmov ->>>> Botvinnik ->>>>> Michell ->>>>>> Owen ->>>>>>> Morphy.

[EDIT: Oh yeah. I did play the world's side against Carlsen, so maybe I can crank the number down a notch.]

orust

5, via Nigel Short.

Wowbagger1954

I have a Morphy Number of 4.

Morphy-Henry Bird-Jacques Mieses-Leonard Barden-Me.

I also have a dog called Morphy.

Gil-Gandel

My sister met the entire Russian team in 1973 when they were in Bath at the hotel where she was working, and Botvinnik was on that team (also Tal, Smyslov, Petrosian and Spassky!) so it's me -- sister -- Botvinnik -- Michell -- Owen -- Morphy, so 6. But if it's a question of playing then the chain's a bit longer.

Fugazy_Crapov

Six degrees of Paul Morphy? 

CapAnson

I wonder what Kevin Bacon's Morhphy number is.

Hearts

Well, maybe its a little unique for me. Im not a professional or even master, my rating just  around 2000+, and chess is my hobby. My key link to this Morphy number is a FIDE Master, Arnold Huhndorf from German, so lets see

I played Huhndorf at FICS

Huhndorf played Lev Gutman at 2010 Bad Woerishofen German

Gutman played Samuel Reshevksy at 1982 Beersheba

Reshevksy played Emanuel Lasker at 1936 Nottingham

E.Lasker played Henry Bird at 1899 London

Finally, Bird played Morphy at 1858 London, sources:chess tempo

So i have Morphy number 6. But maybe anyone can search the better number for me!

In FICS Arnold Huhndorf has an account named "Telamon".

Shivsky

Mine's 6 if you count Simul-play.   Played the late Bob McGregor who was notorious for his Damiano shenanigans against Fischer (Morphy # of 4) in a simul. 

Ziryab

I've drawn John Donaldson who drew Karpov who beat Smyslov who beat Euwe who beat Lasker who beat James McConnell who beat Paul Morphy.

That's 7 without a loss.