Forums

What's your Morphy Number?

Sort:
Manack

Morphy Number

Mine is 7. 

I have played Yi Liu who has played Stephen Solomon who has played David Smerdon who has played Bob Wade who has played Savielly Tartakower who has played James Mortimer who has played Paul Morphy.

oinquarki

Do simuls count?

If so, then I have a Morphy number of 5, from playing against Susan Polgar.

EDIT: I've also played Larry D. Evans, but that still gives me 5

goldendog

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/trivia2

ivandh

I played NN who played Morphy

Joseph-S
ivandh wrote:

I played NN who played Morphy

I'm pretty sure we won't get a lower number than that.  So what do you say we go ahead and crown Ivandh the winner.

CPawn

Cool..i have a Morphy number of 4.  I have played both Max Euwe and George Koltanowski.

gorgeous_vulture

Difficult to see 4 being beaten (except by Ivandh!)

electricpawn

876-5309

SchuBomb
Manack wrote:

Morphy Number

Mine is 7. 

I have played Yi Liu who has played Stephen Solomon who has played David Smerdon who has played Bob Wade who has played Savielly Tartakower who has played James Mortimer who has played Paul Morphy.

Does that Yi Liu happen to play minesweeper? I remember a Yi Liu who was threatening my (then) #3 spot in the Australian minesweeper rankings (I'm now #2). And people who are good at minesweeper are likely to be good at chess, and vice versa (pattern recognition, problem solving etc.)

Spiffe
electricpawn wrote:

876-5309

Fail.

Interesting concept.  I'm a 5, thanks to my game in a tournament vs. Ruben Shocron -- a fairly obscure Argentinian master, though he's Game #6 in Fischer's 60 Memorable Games -- who played Gligoric, who is a 3.

Kacparov

I'm sure I have 5 (played and beaten both number 4 Jan Timman and NIgel Short), but maybe it's lower

Eo____

My Morphy number is at most 7, via;

Morphy 0

John Owen 1

Michell 2

Botvinnik 3

Kholmov 4 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphy_number "For example, Garry Kasparov, along with most current top players, has a Morphy Number of 5: Kasparov played Ratmir Kholmov (Morphy number 4), who played Mikhail Botvinnik (Morphy number 3), who played Reginald Michell (Morphy number 2), who played John Owen (Morphy number 1)")

Nigel Short 5... at most (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1124073)

Kacparov 6... at most

Me 7.. at most

Elroch

With a Kasparov number of 2, I can't be sure I have a Morphy number of less than 7. Of the MN3 players, I think the only one I have even seen in the flesh is Bent Larsen (he played at the Hasting Premier a couple of decades back, while I was playing in a graded tournament). The wikipedia list seems woefully incomplete - one would expect the number of players in each group to grow much more rapidly.

Crazychessplaya

My Morphy number is 6. I played Iweta Rajlich (Radziewicz) who played Pia Cramling who played Bent Larsen, whose Morphy number is 3.

DrSpudnik

I've been to New Orleans a couple of times. Does that count for anything?

heinzie

I've played against three of the Wikipedia list with a fairly satisfying score of 1.0/7

Kacparov

Eo_____________ your number is 6 because mine is 5

Eo____
Kacparov wrote:

Eo_____________ your number is 6 because mine is 5

are you sure you have never played a 3?

Kacparov

No, I just looked at the list in WIkipedia.

Eo____
Kacparov wrote:

No, I just looked at the list in WIkipedia.

It's really hard to tell who has played who. Think about all the possibilities. For example, how do you know that you haven't played a patzer who played against a 2? That would make you a 4.