Which category you enjoy playing most? bullet, blitz, standard, online, or 960?

  • #61
    PROUD_TO_BE_GREEK wrote:

    time for tea,why your online is 1950 and your standard is 1300+

    why your bullet is (-) ???????????????????????

    you know to play online.......online is  not chess i think

    Because I hardly ever play standard and I've literally never played blitz or bullet?  But I totally accept that I've been playing too much Online recently and I need to play more Live - I know it would be good for me and I said that in my previous post.

    But to say Online isn't chess ... wow - where's that coming from?

  • #62
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Time4Tea wrote:

    I very much like Online, because I feel it's the best for learning and improving

    At what? Certainly not OTB live chess.  Taking the clock and removing it entirely certainly doesn't accurately reflect a rated USCF or FIDE chess match.  

    Obviously it allows you to play your best game.  How could you get it wrong? You have no clock running, engines, the world wide web, other people, etc (on and on) all at your disposal.  That resembles what we just saw in the Sinquefield? At your local club? 

    Not one bit.

    Online correspondence chess has been an essential element, albeit not an exclusive one, in helping me improve my USCF OTB rating from under 1500 in my mid-30s to over 1900 in my 50s.

    That sounds like a fair statement and point taken.  

    I just think it's getting carried away when you have people referring to themselves as a "1500" and what not because that's their "online chess" rating on Chess.com.  You know what I mean? 

    Just for the record here - I never claimed that my OTB rating is 1500, nor am I trying to rubbish or criticize time controls that other people play - each to their own and I'm sure there are plenty of benfits to playing blitz and bullet as well.

  • #63

    i like online because i can analyze your games. For this reason my online is much higher than live.

  • #64
    Time4Tea wrote:
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Time4Tea wrote:

    I very much like Online, because I feel it's the best for learning and improving

    At what? Certainly not OTB live chess.  Taking the clock and removing it entirely certainly doesn't accurately reflect a rated USCF or FIDE chess match.  

    Obviously it allows you to play your best game.  How could you get it wrong? You have no clock running, engines, the world wide web, other people, etc (on and on) all at your disposal.  That resembles what we just saw in the Sinquefield? At your local club? 

    Not one bit.

    Online correspondence chess has been an essential element, albeit not an exclusive one, in helping me improve my USCF OTB rating from under 1500 in my mid-30s to over 1900 in my 50s.

    That sounds like a fair statement and point taken.  

    I just think it's getting carried away when you have people referring to themselves as a "1500" and what not because that's their "online chess" rating on Chess.com.  You know what I mean? 

    Just for the record here - I never claimed that my OTB rating is 1500, nor am I trying to rubbish or criticize time controls that other people play - each to their own and I'm sure there are plenty of benfits to playing blitz and bullet as well.

    No, no, no.  I apologize.  It wasn't you who made that statement.  I'm not attacking you here in the least.

    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/breaking-the-1500-barrier

  • #65
    meelyman wrote:

    i like online because i can analyze your games. For this reason my online is much higher than live.

    lol.

    Actually, on topic believe it or not:  I think I'm going to check out some 960 games at some point.  It definitely intrigues me a little.  I just have my hands full with learning chess as it is.  I don't need to worry about variations yet.

  • #66

    lightning i mean,no lightening sorry

  • #67
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Time4Tea wrote:

    I very much like Online, because I feel it's the best for learning and improving

    At what? Certainly not OTB live chess.  Taking the clock and removing it entirely certainly doesn't accurately reflect a rated USCF or FIDE chess match.  

    Obviously it allows you to play your best game.  How could you get it wrong? You have no clock running, engines, the world wide web, other people, etc (on and on) all at your disposal.  That resembles what we just saw in the Sinquefield? At your local club? 

    Not one bit.

    Online correspondence chess has been an essential element, albeit not an exclusive one, in helping me improve my USCF OTB rating from under 1500 in my mid-30s to over 1900 in my 50s.

    That sounds like a fair statement and point taken.  

    I just think it's getting carried away when you have people referring to themselves as a "1500" and what not because that's their "online chess" rating on Chess.com.  You know what I mean? 

    Yes. Most 1500 players on this site would struggle against the 1200s at my local club. My Online rating here is presently about 200 higher than my USCF, although when I was at my USCF peak in June 2012 (1982), my Online rating here was only ~50 higher.

  • #68
    Ziryab wrote:
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    TheArtofWar82 wrote:
    Time4Tea wrote:

    I very much like Online, because I feel it's the best for learning and improving

    At what? Certainly not OTB live chess.  Taking the clock and removing it entirely certainly doesn't accurately reflect a rated USCF or FIDE chess match.  

    Obviously it allows you to play your best game.  How could you get it wrong? You have no clock running, engines, the world wide web, other people, etc (on and on) all at your disposal.  That resembles what we just saw in the Sinquefield? At your local club? 

    Not one bit.

    Online correspondence chess has been an essential element, albeit not an exclusive one, in helping me improve my USCF OTB rating from under 1500 in my mid-30s to over 1900 in my 50s.

    That sounds like a fair statement and point taken.  

    I just think it's getting carried away when you have people referring to themselves as a "1500" and what not because that's their "online chess" rating on Chess.com.  You know what I mean? 

    Yes. Most 1500 players on this site would struggle against the 1200s at my local club. My Online rating here is presently about 200 higher than my USCF, although when I was at my USCF peak in June 2012 (1982), my Online rating here was only ~50 higher.

    I haven't started playing at my club for points yet but I've shown up a couple of times and watched people play.  I actually have something hanging over my head that should reach resolution this week.  I wanted to get it behind me before I started playing rated games.

    That said - I really think that many online players who spend a lot of their time on blitz and rapid games would be very unpleasantly surprised if they were to play a 30/30 or a 45/45 OTB.  The best players are OTB, not online playing blitz.  There's a huge step up in talent as soon as you get to the club.  Not a step down.

  • #69

    standard

  • #70

    Well, the better players of online blitz probably wouldn't be surprised or outclassed playing 45|45 OTB. After all, they're most likely good at blitz precisely because they're strong at the standard time controls and have the knowledge/experience to move at a faster pace.

    And likely be even stronger OTB than on the internet, since internet chess is for fun and unwinding.

  • #71
     
    Remellion wrote:

    Well, the better players of online blitz probably wouldn't be surprised or outclassed playing 45|45 OTB. After all, they're most likely good at blitz precisely because they're strong at the standard time controls and have the knowledge/experience to move at a faster pace.

    And likely be even stronger OTB than on the internet, since internet chess is for fun and unwinding.

    True. Many people play outrageous chess online that they would be too ashamed to play OTB. And when it fails miserably they just abort the game. Not to mention people who will use bots or engines in 15+ minute games.

    Chances are if someone (like you at 1700+) survives online, they will at least be able to hold their own in regular chess. Online chess is so irregular and absurd at times we forget the real thing happens in person. Though many skilled players also prefer correspondence over online play if they don't want to play OTB.

  • #72
    MidnightExpress1 wrote:

    bullet, online, blitz whatever it's all gravy better than siiting in the concentration camps the NWO has already built for patriotic american citizens in USA. No jokes the USA govt. has been hijacked! Study the Russian revolution and the way the Bolsheviks took over Russia to get a glimpse of what is going on taday. It's just a matter of time before the shee hits the fan. Another possible govt. shutdown Oct. !? Every few months we are threatened with a govt. shutdown. One day it's going to be for real. There will come a time when chess will be a luxury. They wont have any chess at the detention colonies. No joke. it's on the way.

    The t-baggers haven't fully completed their hijacking yet, and they don't have enough power to buy another election.

  • #73
    MidnightExpress1 wrote:

    bullet, online, blitz whatever it's all gravy better than siiting in the concentration camps the NWO has already built for patriotic american citizens in USA. No jokes the USA govt. has been hijacked! Study the Russian revolution and the way the Bolsheviks took over Russia to get a glimpse of what is going on taday. It's just a matter of time before the shee hits the fan. Another possible govt. shutdown Oct. !? Every few months we are threatened with a govt. shutdown. One day it's going to be for real. There will come a time when chess will be a luxury. They wont have any chess at the detention colonies. No joke. it's on the way.

    Thank God I'm living in Germany, the freest place on Earth! Smile

    Irony is like bacon: Yummy!

  • #74

    Anyway, is this a joke, MidnightExpress?

  • #75
    MidnightExpress1 wrote:

    ziryab dont take your eye off the ball,  what good for big money is not necessarily good for the average citizen, you as a historian should know better, but i dont understand the t-baggers reference, please elucidate

    They are the ones shutting things down. They've advocated it at their rallies, and they have influence far beyond their numbers. They are the best funded "grass roots" movement in US history. They take their name from historical amnesia, hanging from their trucker hats what the colonial revolutionaries thy idolize dumped into the harbour.

  • #76

    Ziryab: T-baggers, really?  How high-minded.

    I thought politics was verboten on this site, not to mention epithets.

  • #77

    for me nothing compares to otb games of chess no disconnections programmes or mouse slips just tough competitive chess 

  • #78
    ipcress12 wrote:

    Ziryab: T-baggers, really?  How high-minded.

    I thought politics was verboten on this site, not to mention epithets.

    I'm simply observing the uniform.

     

  • #79

    :)

or Join

Online Now