Forums

Which version of ChessMaster is the best?

Sort:
Bouglerie

http://pc.gameswarp.com/game-review/checkmate/

john2054

I have now played through all of Josh's games at least once, and am happily plugging away at the various tutorial plugs. What a wonder! Please note I also have fritz 12, which is certainly more modern, but for basic strategy I would have to recommend chessmaster all the way!

Derekjj
john2054 wrote:

Hi Chessph, please tell me the oppenent's name and year of some of the games you are alluding to, to see if i already have them on cm 10, okay thanks!

Sorry for late reply. You wouldn't have those games on the previous versions. Chessmaster 11 has an addition called "The Art of Learning", excerpts taken from Josh's book.

john2054

OK chessph, i asked you already for the specific games the new section has, because actually i have already owned cm11 in the past and i remember it doesnt have any new games to it. sure they have retitled a section of it the art of learning, but it neither has any excerpts from his book nor has any new games on it. now if i am wrong, tell me the name of one or two games it has which the 10 doesnt, then i can check. otherwise stop your nonsense.

Derekjj
john2054 wrote:

OK chessph, i asked you already for the specific games the new section has, because actually i have already owned cm11 in the past and i remember it doesnt have any new games to it. sure they have retitled a section of it the art of learning, but it neither has any excerpts from his book nor has any new games on it. now if i am wrong, tell me the name of one or two games it has which the 10 doesnt, then i can check. otherwise stop your nonsense.

In your post, you said you had cm10.  "Art of Learning" is a new addition. I bought the 11th edition a few years ago and it has a section called "The Art of Learning", the previous editions don't have that. No sense in listing the games here. Don't waste my time.

badger_song

CM is great software,for class-level players they are a great investment.As far as which particular engine is best,they all have their partisans,but frankly,until you reach at least 2100,it doesn't matter which chess engine you choose to use,they all get the job done.

john2054

Yeah thanks for the responses. Chessmaster 10 includes all of the previous softwares tutorials, and chessmaster 11 doesnt actually advance on this in any way. The 'art of learning' heading is actually a misnomer, because it only contains the exact same games and tutorials as number 10. A point i was trying to make earlier!

Derekjj
[COMMENT DELETED]
TheAdultProdigy

Do the 10th and 11th edition have personalities that you can play in tournaments, as the Chessmaster 9000 did?

EscherehcsE
Milliern wrote:

Do the 10th and 11th edition have personalities that you can play in tournaments, as the Chessmaster 9000 did?

I have CM9000 and CM10, but not CM11. CM10 has somewhat more personalities than CM9000, and they can also be used in tournaments. However, as far as I can tell, CM10 cannot run multiple tournament games automatically. You have to start each tournament game manually. (A big pain in the posterior.)

premio53

I had cm9000 and liked it much better than the Grandmaster Edition.  The interface was much easier to use for me and I could get the custom made personalities to play in tournaments against the many default ones.  You can't do that with Grandmaster Edition. 

premio53

I forgot to mention that the Grandmaster Edition does not allow other chess engines to participate in tournaments against the different personalities.

EscherehcsE
premio53 wrote:

I forgot to mention that the Grandmaster Edition does not allow other chess engines to participate in tournaments against the different personalities.

That's really odd. CM10 does allow custom personalities and other chess engines to participate in tournaments, although as I said, you still have to start each tournament game manually.

premio53
I may have mispoken. It has been a while since I had a copy of Chessmaster 9000. you might be able to enter customized personalities but I do know you can't allow other chess engines to participate in tournaments