Forums

Who is better Paul Morphy or Magnus Carlsen

Sort:
HerMajestyNightdragon
siddirocks wrote:

Carlsen studied the games of Morphy and became better. He cheated by memorizing.

That’s not a cheat

HerMajestyNightdragon

I have to memorize my textbooks is that cheating?

angeloantonucci

The science will progress of course, but the genius of the past can not be over looked. The great players of the last 50 years have certainly pushed the game further, but no one pushed it as far from his predecessors as Paul Morphy.

angeloantonucci

Another remarkable thing about Morphy is he progressed so far with very limited opposition when he went to Europe he played dramatically superior opponents, and often lost an early game or 2, he then adjusted his play (without computers or any quality books, and presumably without a second) figured it out and destroyed them. This is just incredible. My guess is he is the greatest talent that ever sat for a game of chess! If he played a current GM I suspect he would lose a game or 3 but would eventually win a match. To win against a Magnus, Kasparov, or Fischer he would need time and resources. We will never know in this life, but maybe these questions will be answered in heaven. Maybe God will tell us there was someone who never saw a chessboard who would have wiped the floor with all of them. If Einstein or Newton loved Chess would they have been as good?

Space_orce

MAGNUS

darlihysa

Magnus I think it is the karma of Lasker and Morphy maybe Ray Robson or Hikaru...

Simpsonette

magnus sucks bruh brr skibidi sus

Simpsonette

paul murphy on top everyone who disagrees is braindead

beatboi123436

i think magnus is a litte wuss who should not be allowed to play again

Simpsonette

beatboi i agree. H esimply is not good at chess and im better