Forums

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

Sort:
Ziryab

Ziryab wrote:

Carlsen starts with White. He's gonna play 1.Nf3.

Nailed it!

SameOldFears

I think Anand will win tomorrow. Has anyone seen him? He has lost at least 10 kg! I think he's in great shape and its gonna be very hard for Carlsen to win. Anand also looks relaxed and comfortable and it probably helps that he's in his home town. As a Norwegian I hope for Carlsen though :p

SmyslovFan

I'm rooting for Carlsen to win the world championship... in 2016.

If he loses this time, it will show him, and the world, that the world championship match is not just another tournament, and that match play really is a different beast that needs to be respected as such.

Also, if he were to lose, imagine how much better he will be in 2016! We saw something similar with Smyslov and Spassky when they were rebuffed on their first attempts. It didn't work out so well with Korchnoi, but Korchnoi was already at his prime in the first match.

Even so, I'm definitely rooting for Anand this time, but my money is on Carlsen to win by two points.

Ziryab
Ajatsatru wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

Ziryab wrote:

Nailed it!

And so... one of his seconds revealed on Chess.com

Tomorrow, Anand will play 1.e4.

Ziryab
SmyslovFan wrote:

I'm rooting for Carlsen to win the world championship... in 2016.

If he loses this time, it will show him, and the world, that the world championship match is not just another tournament, and that match play really is a different beast that needs to be respected as such.

Also, if he were to lose, imagine how much better he will be in 2016! We saw something similar with Smyslov and Spassky when they were rebuffed on their first attempts. It didn't work out so well with Korchnoi, but Korchnoi was already at his prime in the first match.

Even so, I'm definitely rooting for Anand this time, but my money is on Carlsen to win by two points.

I hope that you are correct.

Korchnoi was battling the same forces that Fischer took on--the Soviet machine, but they had more personal control over his private life. 

SameOldFears

If Carlsen playes Anand in 2016 it will be an  easy match for him as he will be stronger and Anand will probably be a lot weaker. But never underestimate other chess players like Aronian and Kramnik. Rember that Kramnik almost made it to this event but lost his last game against Ivanchuk. All he had to do was to draw and he would beat Carlsen.

Highmoor

the age difference is in favor of Carlsen

watcha

For the second game Anand has prepared a surprise variation never before seen at GM level.

The opening move believe or not is 1. f3.

After the 2nd game this opening will rightly be called the 'attacking king system'.

SameOldFears

Hopefully, Anand will play the Grob or the Orangutang.

SmyslovFan

I don't mind draws. This game shows that Anand's preparation is pretty good. I don't know what it shows about Carlsen's preparation. I expect him to try at least three different first moves as White in this match. 

Each draw makes the next game that much more important. 

Ziryab
Ajatsatru wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
Ajatsatru wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

Ziryab wrote:

Nailed it!

And so... one of his seconds revealed on Chess.com

Tomorrow, Anand will play 1.e4.

I can only hope we do not end up watching another drawn game.

But seriously speaking, was it just a fluke or you did think of something that made you mention the Nf3 opening?

1.Nf3 is a flexible move that instantly asks Black to reveal something of his defensive plans. Carlsen has played it before. I thought is was a good choice for him in this match.

The first game in a match is an effort to discern something of your opponent's preparation. Carlsen did not get the game he wanted, but he did learn something about Anand's preparation.

SameOldFears

So e4 or d4 tomorrow?

varelse1

Anand usually opens e4

cyberdynsystemsmodel

anand no dout about it

NewArdweaden

Hopefully Carlsen.

watcha

The outcome of the match is very hard to predict.

This is due to the old age and other bad characteristics of the participants.

Carlsen is obviously a very old man. Take Carissa Yip for example. Carissa Yip is only 9 years old and already is playing games of GM level. You can call Carissa Yip somewhat young. Compared to Carissa Yip Carlsen is a very old man who must suffer from Alzheimer's disease. Anand is so old that he has died long ago and what we see is only a zombie of him. These old men both look nervous and are getting fat and both are bad ambassadors to chess. They both lack magnetism as well. With these shaky old men it is very difficult to predict the winner.

KongKord1
As you good people know - Carlsen and Anand have met a few times before. I was stunned when they decided to participate in a tournament in my home town in Norway. A small town in middle of Norway. I actually got to meet them both and I was pleasently surprised that they both where "down on earth" As a norwegian I definetly hope that Magnus will win. It was also kind of cool that they both took the time to sign my chess set when I met them back in 2010. Here is a picture of it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-signed-chess-set-with-Visy-Anand-and-Magnus-Carlsens-autographs-mint-cond-/321244034091?pt=Games_US&hash=item4acba2f42b
ekanth
watcha wrote:

The outcome of the match is very hard to predict.

This is due to the old age and other bad characteristics of the participants.

Carlsen is obviously a very old man. Take Carissa Yip for example. Carissa Yip is only 9 years old and already is playing games of GM level. You can call Carissa Yip somewhat young. Compared to Carissa Yip Carlsen is a very old man who must suffer from Alzheimer's disease. Anand is so old that he has died long ago and what we see is only a zombie of him. These old men both look nervous and are getting fat and both are bad ambassadors to chess. They both lack magnetism as well. With these shaky old men it is very difficult to predict the winner.

Whether u r serious or not ,i enjoyed every bit of it !!!

matataxx

Carlsen

brandnewgambit

anand it is and you would be saying the tourney was biased and give all stupid excuses by end of thie month lol. pity u ppl