Forums

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

Sort:
Ionlywearblue

who do you guy's think will win.

Oraoradeki

Carlsen, by a huge margin. (curious to see what others say)

strngdrvnthng

I think it will be close.

varelse1

Carlsen, by a mile.

varelse1

I still think a WC match should be 24 games.

But nobody's listening to me, as usual. So I'll leave it there.

chessBBQ

Anand will not play any tournaments leading to the World Championship match.He will focus all his attention on preparation.He considers this his best chance.

Carlsen is ridiculously  hard to prepare against though.He will try to tire Anand in the first few games by playing long winded endgames in the hope that in the later rounds,Anand will eventually crack

Anand should focus not on theoretical side  but more on the opening positions that Carlsen favors like the

Ruy Lopez positions with c3-d4 ideas .One of Carlsen's favorite plans.

Maroczy bind positions

3 vs 2 majority pawns

varelse1

I agree with The BBQ.

Carlsen won't be letting Anand off easy with 25,30-move draws, the way Gelfand did.

In that way Carlsen is much like Fischer. When you sit down across the board from him, you're in for a full game.

bean_Fischer

Of the winner is who has more 6 points. Quite obvious. I am neither Anand or Carlsen fans. And I don't expect one of them to win.

APawnCanDream

I'm hoping for more decisive games and fewer draws and it wouldn't shock me if it went into a tiebreaker after 12 classical games. Anand is going to need to show that opening preparation for WC matches matter and Carlsen might show that while the game starts in the opening, it rarely ends there. I hope both bring their best to the table for the match. I'm rooting for Anand mostly because I think Carlsen needs a few more years before claiming the title personally and who doesn't want to see an old tiger pounce again. It would also be nice to see that Anand, while not dominating his peers at tournaments as WC, keeps his best for when it matters. We'll see, looking forward to the match!

deandyu

Carlsen will win om rapid tiebreaks.

Mainline_Novelty
bean_Fischer wrote:

Of the winner is who has more 6 points. Quite obvious. I am neither Anand or Carlsen fans. And I don't expect one of them to win.

Wait, what?

Slovenly

Chess needs an infusion of youth and charisma badly to market itself.  Magnus may not have it, but we know Anand doesn't.  Total stiff.

I rather imagine the outcome has been predetermined, and Anand will be receiving a nice backroom bonus in addition to his official payday to take one for the team, here.

APawnCanDream
Mainline_Novelty wrote:
bean_Fischer wrote:

Wait, what?

I think he means he doesn't expect one to be more likely to win over the other.

Elubas

I'll predict Carlsen to win comfortably, but not outright crush Anand. Maybe he'll win by a margin of about 1.5.

Mainline_Novelty
APawnCanDream wrote:
Mainline_Novelty wrote:
bean_Fischer wrote:

Wait, what?

I think he means he doesn't expect one to be more likely to win over the other.

Ohhh ok nevermind then Embarassed

Drakodan

Is this really as clear-cut as people are making it out to be? Sure, in terms of both rating strength and recent tournament results, Carlsen simply outclasses Anand, but this is not a tournament. Carlsen has very little to no experience of match play, whilst Anand has played plenty of them. Is a difference of approx. 100 rating points really enough to compensate for this deficiency in experience to the point of leading people to believe he'll win convincingly?

ThrillerFan

Anand will win - Carlsen doesn't have the experience of a long match.  Carlsen will probably win one very early, I'd say his first game as White, whether that's round 1 or 2, and then won't win again, Anand will adjust, and wax him.  I'd say Anand outscores Carlsen 3 to 1 with the rest being draws.

Elubas

"Is a difference of approx. 100 rating points really enough to compensate for this deficiency in experience to the point of leading people to believe he'll win convincingly?"

I think it truly is, yes.

Rational_Optimist

Anand strategy needs to be very cunning.taking into account all psychological naunces.he needs to come up with something unpleasant for his opponent.for example he needs to play ultra solid chess make consecutive draws and wait for his young opponent to lose his temper and play riskily and then exploit his chances.he needs to consider psychological factors he has a lot of exprience in matches and preparing for a specific opponent but carlsen doesent have any exprience in such a high level.Anand will be extremely prepared in opening and will try to create middlegames which is to his own taste.if Anand wants to take initiative he needs to dictate things in opening and dont let his opponent show him what he is capable of.

anyway i think carlsen has better chances since he is simply a better player but the match will be close and unpredictable since anand is skilled in matches and his preparation will be undoubtedly better since he is aware of his opponet strength and has a lot of exprience.who knows how a bad start can effect carlsen.but i think if anand makes 12 draws he can defeat carlsen in rapid games!

Mainline_Novelty
tesla1 wrote:

but i think if anand makes 12 draws he can defeat carlsen in rapid games!

lol