Forums

Why am I worse at chess on this wesite than in real life?

Sort:
sapientdust

He mentioned in #27 that he had closed his account and then changed his mind and had to reopen a new one with a different spelling. I didn't notice until you mentioned it though.

the_last_rites

for me it's completely opposite. I play ok on 2d board but on real board I can't easily visualise lines and forks etc

DarknisMetalDragon
sapientdust wrote:

You made a blunder in an OTB game against another player in person? Was it a tournament game or a slow time control game, or was it at a fast time control?

It does seem possible that if you play online games and don't take them seriously, that could carry over into your real-world games, which you might start unintentionally taking less seriously. It's difficult to see how sometimes playing with a 2D board could make real-world play worse, and I've never heard of this happening, while playing sloppy chess online (regardless of whether it's 2D or 3D) will probably encourage bad habits that carry over to all play.

They were family members who are pretty good.

DarknisMetalDragon

I went on ICC and beat a 1392 rated player on there and got myself to 1304 as my second rating. I figured out that the board is too big for me to see al the pieces when it's right in front of me. The board on ICC is much easier to see.

DarknisMetalDragon

I figured out that when playing online, I don't take my games seriously enough, but when OTB, it seems more real and I am able to do well. It doesn't feel real enough online, so I don't take it very seriously and make irratic mistakes.

nameno1had

I figured out that online, some people can't resist the urge to figure out what they can't otherwise...

DarknisMetalDragon
nameno1had wrote:

I figured out that online, some people can't resist the urge to figure out what they can't otherwise...

What do you mean? What stuff?

nameno1had

See what I mean ? ...lol

Phelon

Its what one of the first responders said. 2d looks different than 3d. You gotta play for a year or a few years before you become equal or better online than on a physical board.

TrlpleAAA

I'm the same way! In real life I'm way better, at least a 1300, but on here, I get beat by the damned 800 level computer in the end game! It seems that I just miss simple things when I play online. It's the stupid 2d chess board, I cant play with it.

What's even worse is that I KNOW I'm better than my rating on here because I've been to tournaments in real life where I've beaten a 1700 player and scored 2nd place overall, I've even got the medal to prove it. My brother is around a 1400-1500 and when we play I either lose or draw, seldom winning.

There's something about a 2d chess board that completely destroys my ability to see any amount of moves ahead. I have to use the "analyze" thingy when I play online or else I just lose. Don't even get me started on live Chess, flat out 100% losses for me.

nameno1had
TrlpleAAA wrote:

I'm the same way! In real life I'm way better, at least a 1300, but on here, I get beat by the damned 800 level computer in the end game! It seems that I just miss simple things when I play online. It's the stupid 2d chess board, I cant play with it.

What's even worse is that I KNOW I'm better than my rating on here because I've been to tournaments in real life where I've beaten a 1700 player and scored 2nd place overall, I've even got the medal to prove it. My brother is around a 1400-1500 and when we play I either lose or draw, seldom winning.

There's something about a 2d chess board that completely destroys my ability to see any amount of moves ahead. I have to use the "analyze" thingy when I play online or else I just lose. Don't even get me started on live Chess, flat out 100% losses for me.

I guess I am a GM and don't know it yet and everyone lese that beats me here is too, or they are cheating...Undecided

AndyClifton

Wow...this is a "we-site." Smile

shamshoun1

because you are playing against fob computers, not against humans

x-1198923638
shamshoun1 wrote:

because you are playing against fob computers, not against humans

Yup.  

(You're equally bad in real life.  Your mistakes are just not just not constantly and mercilessly punished by advantage players who are "just using the engine to learn" and then sandbagging down so they stay under the radar ceiling.  Go to a club or an event and play an NM sometime for an experience....)

x-1198923638
TrlpleAAA wrote:

I have trouble believing at all that you're 1700 and can't play an even endgame against the 800 bot. 

I have further trouble believing it since you've literally never recorded a game against any of the computers on CC.

Thinnling1234

I feel the same. Over the board I play much better than online. I have ADHD and it's hard to concentrate because of all the chatter in my brain. But when I play over the board, I can hyperfocus and play better. Online it's hard for me to think even 1 move ahead. My thoughts keep running wild.