Forums

Why are people so rude?

Sort:
ChazR

[COMMENT DELETED]

Kaluki
Estragon wrote:

I am shocked - shocked! - to find this sort of behavior going on here.  And disturbed.  Shocked and disturbed this is happening.  Chagrined, I am.  Shocked, disturbed, and chagrined.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  I feel sure the appropriate authorities will take immediate steps to correct the situation - with the full support of the community.

I lol'd. The irony, I mean.

@ChazR: First rule to learn about the internet: People can and will be rude. 

RetGuvvie98

second rule of chess.com - folks who violate the fair play policy enough times are restricted to only playing their friends until they have played enough games to work their way out of the restricted room.

life goes on. be neither amazed nor mystified by those who think they are anonymous by playing on the internet.

they are not.

lollolbuddha

Everybody gets angry when they lose.They cant Flip the table in online chess so they disconnect.Laughing

lollolbuddha
[COMMENT DELETED]
ChazR

Thanks for the feedback....I was just venting....ROTFLMAoff.

msjenned

Certain nations have connection problem. I had it once.

AlucardII

Yeah, I remember winning a game and thinking that my opponent had just quit instead of resigning, as I had to sit there and wait until it timed out. I called him on it, and he insisted that he had resigned... maybe I'm a little naive in hoping that everyone is as honest as I am, but on this ocassion I believed him. Sometimes people really do have connection issues.

That being said, there are definitely people whose tempers are so out of check that once you put them IN check (you see what I did there) they lose all ability to deal with their emotions productively and flip out, either snidely abusing you or just quitting the game without resigning.

Sorry fact: people can be shit.

MrTNTLauncher
AlucardII wrote:

Yeah, I remember winning a game and thinking that my opponent had just quit instead of resigning, as I had to sit there and wait until it timed out. I called him on it, and he insisted that he had resigned... maybe I'm a little naive in hoping that everyone is as honest as I am, but on this ocassion I believed him. Sometimes people really do have connection issues.

That being said, there are definitely people whose tempers are so out of check that once you put them IN check (you see what I did there) they lose all ability to deal with their emotions productively and flip out, either snidely abusing you or just quitting the game without resigning.

Sorry fact: people can be shit.

Yep. Once I was up a queen and two pawns and he had a so called "checkmate" but I captured his rook and he was just blown away. He quit auto and i wated for 19 min. before winning.

AlucardII

I think people are often rude because they don't know how to control their emotions; they don't understand them, or try to. It could also be because they don't like themselves, on some level; I've never been able to judge that, as I quite like myself! I'm often lacking in self-confidence, but as a person I like me.

overthehill1

They are selfish, inconsiderate, not really thinking about the feelings of other people to make it short. Immature.

ChazR

My take on the whole business, is too many players are EGO involved in their play.   Chess is a great game, we all know that.  However, if you win or lose or if your rating is a few points above another person, that is not a validation of your self-worth.  Even Bobby lost a few games...several, in fact...but because he connected winning so closely with his identity, that contributed to his destruction.  It is difficult when I get a spanking, especially from a lower rated player, but I always try to say, "Thank you for the game," and go on.  The motto of the United States Chess Federation was, "It's all about the play."   That is, as I understand it, what Chess.com is all about....have fun, be nice and helpful....honor the game and all of the fantastic players!

trippnface

i have an connection problem contantly. i feel really bad when someone thinks i just dropped the game

AlucardII

Your username reminds me of mushrooms, so I should be able to remember you. If I ever play you and you disappear, I shan't accuse you of quitting :)

Danny_Snow

Apologize for just posting a similar thread before I saw this.  This happens to me a significant percentage of the time I play live chess, maybe 20% of the time.  It's really disconcerting.  Hopefully the site will crack down harder on it .. seems really out of control.  I'm guessing some think it's a reasonable strategy to win at all costs as they will start moving before they run out of time hopeing you have had a heart attack.

ElectricZax

On the internet people can be anything they like.
It's funny how often people choose to be stupid.

cferrel

some servers has claim win on disconnect option. Maybe chess.com needs to add that feature.

UG11

remember me!...I love chess,especially live chess.but it's not my fault to live in a village that has a zillion times worse internet connection than u could even possiblly imagine.I hope u guys make an exception for meeeeeee!!!!!

about this comment before mine: somehow I agree,but  u see my situation so i suggest at least 5 mins delay to claim the end of the game...How dose that sound?Undecided

cferrel

On other servers I am not allowed to name due to policy since I dont play here mostly is that I give my oppenent like a 5 to 15 mins to reconnect. 

The_Preacher

Doesn't it still result as a loss, even if you disconnect?