Forums

Why do so few players play 30 min live chess?

Sort:
chasm1995
FirebrandX wrote:
orangeishblue wrote:

Everyone dances around the real issue. Stronger players don't play 30 0 because of cheating and weak opponents.

This, and also sore losers that decide to let the clock run out. In a 3 min or 5 min game, it's only a minor inconvenience when they stall the game out.

Basically, you'll greatly increase your chances of getting screwed out of an honest chess game one way or another when you play longer online time controls like G/30. Hence why very few of the stronger players will opt for a long live game. I've even been cheated on in 3 min games, though I just moved as fast as I could to let them run out of time before their computer moves could checkmate me.

Those people are fewer and farther between.  Since I opened up my chess.com account, I only landed one person like that on 30|0 time control.

theprodigy01

I play 15|10, which I find comfortable.

thenextprodigy

@theprodigy01- Same, 15|10 is great. I should play you some time. The battle of the self-proclaimed prodigies :).

theprodigy01

Cool!

jonahcooldude

Probably people don't have time to play 30 minute chess? or is it the fact that they like to challenge themselves with less time.

WalangAlam

friend me both prodigies and i'll play you 15/10 30/10 45/45 when i'm around

Threebeast

it appears that cheating is affecting all time control I use to play 15 min and now I think people are engine during turn--based. I leaning toward 45 45 time controls.

darkener

Two reasons not to play any time controls but 1, 2/1 or 3. (Not even 5 min.). First, there are too many mentally ill people who would just be stalling all the time. Second, there are many cheaters who don't lack time to copy the best move in a critical moment (They don't have to use an engine from the beginning). You can not catch them. I love bullet and blitz because your opponent MUST move his arse.

xased44

I disagree

thedomes

i agree with da darkener!  They are right!

ralfie3636

I am fairly new to chess.com and have a rating of 976 (I'm a crappy player but enjoy playing) I play only 30 minute games and run out of time (or running really short of time and make bad mistakes) in about 20% of my games. There's an option of 45/45, what exactly does this mean/

And what is a troll?

bjazz
ralfie3636 wrote:

I am fairly new to chess.com and have a rating of 976 (I'm a crappy player but enjoy playing) I play only 30 minute games and run out of time (or running really short of time and make bad mistakes) in about 20% of my games. There's an option of 45/45, what exactly does this mean/

And what is a troll?

45|45 means 45 minutes for all moves with an additional 45 second increment added to the players clock after each move.

As for the latter, here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl//ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] 

daxypoo
nevermind the rez of the week but i have my experiences with the 30 min pool as this is only time control i play on chess.com

i never have trouble finding a game

that said, i have heard from players at my chess club that rapid “gets weird” after 1600’s
they basically say it is no longer worth the time investment

they will play faster time controls if they keep playing any online games

i have found the 1100-1400 pool to be very easy to get a game and very easy to get competitive and beneficial game

sub 1100 are still good though but get opponents who will play it like 5 min blitz, get bad position, the abandon
i think chess.com might have fixed this a bit- if so then good

at my level the 30 min pool is perfect when i want fast game (lol i like 30/30 so much more so i play that elsewhere- but chess.com competition feels stronger)
BourneRoot

there is not flat 15/0  standard time? for rapid