Forums

Why I hate irregular openings

Sort:
varelse1
V_mongoliensis wrote:

They shun the mainline there because 3. ... Nf6?? allows 4. Qxf7#.

But....

That's what black's supposed to do!!Surprised

Scottrf
PinkMistzAsf wrote:

I suppose you'd hate me for playing things like 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.b4 =\

He shouldn't, nice position for black.

pdve
PinkMistzAsf wrote:

no. at least there is an idea there. to take away control of the d4 square for white's pawn.

i was talking of moves with no purpose and which break the principles of chess.

chessBBQ

That is why i like 90+30 games because substandard moves will almost always be punished

pdve

chessbbq, i agree. however, people don't often play such long time controls.

Scottrf
PinkMistzAsf wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
PinkMistzAsf wrote:

He shouldn't, nice position for black.

Whatever works at my level, right? :P

I'll answer you when I gain 34 rating points Wink

Redglove6

Standard 15/10 games that are below about 1525 become sort of the wild-west of chess and play at 1525-1650 is more about common lines and stronger positional chess.  If you play above 1525 for a long time and you suddenly fall below that threshhold, the type of chess you are playing changes dramatically and you must relearn how to beat those players.  Also, the lower your score is, the stronger and bolder your opposition becomes, regardless of who you are playing.  There is a lot to be learned by both styles of play.  Exploiting poor opening play is not always so easy.  A lot of times you discover the opening is sound, it just looks suspect.  I don't have a lot of respect for 1. e4 d5 lines, but it is not so easy to beat those players. 

Scottrf

I'm sure that's right, play at your rating is strong positional chess, but 7 points below your exact rating are terrible, blunder filled piece pushing games!

Irontiger
Scottrf wrote:

I'm sure that's right, play at your rating is strong positional chess, but 7 points below your exact rating are terrible, blunder filled piece pushing games!

Of course not.

Everyone knows that the critical threshold happens 10 points below my rating.

ManlyLadyLumps
Scottrf wrote:

lol well said