Forums

"Why must I lose to this idiot?!"

Sort:
Trump2020Maga1Fan

EVERYONE STOP POSTING HERE THIS FORUM IS 8 YEARS OLD WTF IS WRONG WITH U

PILOTOXOMXD

dude, do all of your posts include "wtf" in them somwhere?

ATV-STEVE
bobbyDK wrote:

another reason you may play unsound cheap tricks against players you think you can win against. In the example black tried this trap which is unsound black uses the black knight twice. but even a bad player can have learned how to avoid this trap by taking the knight or castle. Black will be behind valuable tempi because white did not take the bait.

And establish a wonderful pawn centre.

ATV-STEVE

The post might be 8yo but people are still playing this garbage against me.

Capabotvikhine

Well, years ago when I used to play OTB chess at the Seattle Chess Club I had a few losses to extremely inferior players-

1. One gentlemen I played clearly had not bathed in a very long time. On top of that, he was pretty heavy. Let's just say he did not smell real fresh and I was nearly gagging throughout the whole game.

2. Another gentlemen I played one time had not clipped his finger nails in very long time and they had all kinds of crud built up underneath them. It was very distracting. Plus I really did not want to shake his hand, win or lose. 

3. I have played more than one player that had a very nervous habit. I recall one man who would shake his leg incessantly and rub his hands in his lap constantly. It was both distracting and very frustrating. on another occasion, I played a man who would literally bob back and forth while he was intently studying the board. a couple of times he would bob so far forward, he would actually have the top of his head on my half of the board. it was crazy. 

4. Of all the non-gross reasons I can think of games where during the majority of the game I was clearly winning against a lower rated player that didn't seem to be able to do anything right. Then I might blunder a piece and all of the sudden this same player who I could have barely imagine pulling off a mate with two rooks against a lone king, all of the sudden wakes up and starts playing real chess. It's almost as if something or someone else inhabits his body. I am thinking, can I get the other guy back again? even though he is now a piece up, he will surely blunder it back soon enough.

PILOTOXOMXD
ATV-STEVE wrote:

The post might be 8yo but people are still playing this garbage against me.

Dude, the sad part is not that they're playing it, but for 1000 rated USCF players like me, this no one knows how to beat it, and no one can play any good moves. All the good moves are theory. After we run out of theory, almost every turn is an inaccuracy. Some guy played the Smith - Morra, and in a certain position, he was down 2 pawns and Knight to a pawn, and he sacked his other knight, and got both my rooks for 1 rook. The tactic was so obvious, and I didn't even try to think about it. In low "tiers" Overconfidence is the only reason any of the trash openings work...

PhilipFry3000

I had a OTB game against a much weaker opponent.  I walked into Nf6# on about move 10 after "developing" all my pieces and ignoring "terrible Knight" move.  My opponent only had moved 2 pieces and I was getting all set up and then he moves Nf6 and says good game, like it was some sort of masterpiece.  It was also a game 30 too after I had just beaten a much stronger opponent in an intense battle.  Basically quit playing for about a year after that.  

PhilipFry3000
Morphys-Revenge wrote:

Well, years ago when I used to play OTB chess at the Seattle Chess Club I had a few losses to extremely inferior players-

1. One gentlemen I played clearly had not bathed in a very long time. On top of that, he was pretty heavy. Let's just say he did not smell real fresh and I was nearly gagging throughout the whole game.

2. Another gentlemen I played one time had not clipped his finger nails in very long time and they had all kinds of crud built up underneath them. It was very distracting. Plus I really did not want to shake his hand, win or lose. 

3. I have played more than one player that had a very nervous habit. I recall one man who would shake his leg incessantly and rub his hands in his lap constantly. It was both distracting and very frustrating. on another occasion, I played a man who would literally bob back and forth while he was intently studying the board. a couple of times he would bob so far forward, he would actually have the top of his head on my half of the board. it was crazy. 

4. Of all the non-gross reasons I can think of games where during the majority of the game I was clearly winning against a lower rated player that didn't seem to be able to do anything right. Then I might blunder a piece and all of the sudden this same player who I could have barely imagine pulling off a mate with two rooks against a lone king, all of the sudden wakes up and starts playing real chess. It's almost as if something or someone else inhabits his body. I am thinking, can I get the other guy back again? even though he is now a piece up, he will surely blunder it back soon enough.

Those all sound horrible, especially the guy who hadn't bathed.  I played a guy who was known to be very OCD.  He would make sure every piece was in the exact center of the square and the Knights were pointed the same way.  I pointed my Knights the opposite direction because I like them that way.  He flipped out and the club director asked me if I would put them the way he wanted.  I told him no I like them this way; the guy just left the board.

goodbye27

once i was playing an otb tournament, i matched with a nice lady and in our game just kings and pawns left. she had advantage by her pawn advancements then all passive moves ended, one side had to attack and it was like a zugzwang position.. and it was her turn happy.png she looked at the board and asked me if knew the en passant.. she had a chance to pass a pawn but i didnt give any answer.. we were like playin a poker game.. she was staring in my eyes and trying to understand.. i was barely holding my laugh lol.. then she felt sure and made the move and i took her pawn and got a free lane to promotion.. she stood up and run outside.. i went after her, she was crying... i said im sorry and she punched me in the face happy.png happy.png

gargraves
I love these OTB stories! I’ve sat across from people muttering insults, one guy just stood up and put on his jacket as the game was ending in his favor, as if to say ‘just resign all ready’. One guy who bobbed his head and pointed his hand at the pieces as he worked through variations, I could see what he was thinking and planning there. I myself have done dumb visual attempts at selling a trappy move by making a Trojan horse move that if he captures, I win a piece in the follow up combo- so I make the move then wince and suck in my breath like I just made a mistake- he then pounces on my “mistake”, and I stop for a moment ‘calculate’, and do the combo, coming out ahead with a little grin. Later I kind of vowed to myself not to do a cheap sell of a trap, just play the move, I’m not going to get an acting award
DalaiLuke

... and now 12 days ago happy.png 

PILOTOXOMXD
gdzen wrote:

once i was playing an otb tournament, i matched with a nice lady and in our game just kings and pawns left. she had advantage by her pawn advancements then all passive moves ended, one side had to attack and it was like a zugzwang position.. and it was her turn she looked at the board and asked me if knew the en passant.. she had a chance to pass a pawn but i didnt give any answer.. we were like playin a poker game.. she was staring in my eyes and trying to understand.. i was barely holding my laugh lol.. then she felt sure and made the move and i took her pawn and got a free lane to promotion.. she stood up and run outside.. i went after her, she was crying... i said im sorry and she punched me in the face 

I really don't think that's tru

Sred
waffllemaster wrote:

While Nimzowitsch gained notoriety for this outburst, most of us can sympathize with the frustration.  What are some reasons we lose to players who aren't as good as us?

Maybe because at this very point in time and space, you were worse.

Chinese_Person
shepi13 wrote:

Wafflemaster, when I played g6

such outcomes are not too uncommon in 4 player chess

CrookedRook13

When I lost on time to someone almost 360 points lower than me:

CrookedRook13

Sorry, they were 300 points lower than me.

Laskersnephew
If you lose to someone, the most likely explanation is that they played better than you. We just don’t like to face that fact