Why you shouldn't always resign after blundering a queen.

betterthan3
Still_donirtha wrote:
HiThereImNewToo wrote:
TheCalculatorKid wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I have resigned in the past when I got frustrated at myself. But my new years chess resolution is to resign less, after all I learn nothing from resigning but if I play to the end I have an opportunity to capitalise on any blunders by my opponent and also the opportunity to learn how to close a game down if they don't blunder. Plus I can analyse my game afterwards to see what went wrong and why.
 
This game is an example of where I blundered my queen, but came back to win the game. Usually I would have resigned after this blunder, but new year new me and all that lot.
 

 

I mean at your level blundering a queen for no compensation doesn't mean it's not still anyone's game.  

It's called "I disrespect my opponent because I believe he's stupid".

yo all t5hese little dumb whores that i quoted ur mom's an ape suck my phat toe cunt fucker ass

 

LionVanHalen

Obviously some struggle with intelligence also...

Destroyer942
betterthan3 wrote:
Still_donirtha wrote:
HiThereImNewToo wrote:
TheCalculatorKid wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I have resigned in the past when I got frustrated at myself. But my new years chess resolution is to resign less, after all I learn nothing from resigning but if I play to the end I have an opportunity to capitalise on any blunders by my opponent and also the opportunity to learn how to close a game down if they don't blunder. Plus I can analyse my game afterwards to see what went wrong and why.
 
This game is an example of where I blundered my queen, but came back to win the game. Usually I would have resigned after this blunder, but new year new me and all that lot.
 

 

I mean at your level blundering a queen for no compensation doesn't mean it's not still anyone's game.  

It's called "I disrespect my opponent because I believe he's stupid".

yo all t5hese little dumb whores that i quoted ur mom's an ape suck my phat toe cunt fucker ass

 

I wouldn't resign even if I was down a rook against this guy.

LionVanHalen

Obvious resentment... aussie fella too dumb for this game.

chessandlaw

Too many contributors to this thread suffer from the curse of knowledge.

lfPatriotGames
LionVanHalen wrote:

By that argument no GM would resign then... they would give opponent respect by forcing them to checkmate?

Yes. That would be the case. But in two person board games (not sports)  it seems like it's ok to resign because you aren't affecting the outcome for anyone else. It just seems to me in general quitting is bad sportsmanship. I know there are exceptions, like chess or checkers. Even some sports allow resigning, but it's pretty rare. Like boxing. If a boxer feels he is going to end up in the hospital, he is allowed to quit. I was always taught it's disrespectful and immature to quit in the middle of a contest just because you think you will lose.

Destroyer942

When you think you will lose, just speculating, play on. When you know you already lost, resigning isn't really impolite.

danny_dan

Honestly, it depends. You didn't entirely blunder the queen, only traded it for a rook, which is not entirely losing depending on what level of chess you are playing at. Black made some extremely questionable moves after picking up the queen, and white capitalized especially well by attacking black's king. Typically, I think one should resign after losing their queen if there is little hope of recovery. Playing at such a disadvantage can be wasteful if you could be spending the time playing a new game of chess.

Chessbris

ok

Chessbris

how is it mate in 2

Destroyer942

danny_dan wrote:

Honestly, it depends. You didn't entirely blunder the queen, only traded it for a rook, which is not entirely losing depending on what level of chess you are playing at. Black made some extremely questionable moves after picking up the queen, and white capitalized especially well by attacking black's king. Typically, I think one should resign after losing their queen if there is little hope of recovery. Playing at such a disadvantage can be wasteful if you could be spending the time playing a new game of chess.

True

Chessbris

ok

Destroyer942

Chessbris wrote:

how is it mate in 2

bxf7 Ke7 Nd5#

Still_donirtha

Honestly, I believe we have reached a consensus. Let's leave this forum to rot.

TheCalculatorKid

tj2112 wrote:

The lesson learned here is.......think twice before you post a game for analysis and opinions.  Post less is my NY resolution!

think twice, mate I have thought hundreds of times, do you think is the first game I've won after losing my queen? I reckon I've had nearly 10000 games on this site from the top of my head. I like the responses here. it's interesting to me. in the majority of games and sports, resigning is seen as a bad thing. only in chess do people seem to expect resignation, well I say people, a small minority.

TheCalculatorKid

LionVanHalen wrote:

Well... if you ain't dumb enough to blunder a queen... you don't need to worry?

everyone is dumb enough to blunder a queen.

TheCalculatorKid

Destroyer942 wrote:

you said you would, but I think by the context you meant you wouldn't. So which one is it?

wouldn't.

TheCalculatorKid
Destroyer942 wrote:

 

Chessbris wrote:

 

how is it mate in 2

 

bxf7 Ke7 Nd5#

 

 

Can't believe I never spotted it at the time