x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Will playing in a lot of tournaments help me improve my rating?

  • #41
    No comment, my chess.com rating for blitz is 1356 and that's lower than 1400
  • #42
    LethalRook_1892 wrote:
    No comment, my chess.com rating for blitz is 1356 and that's lower than 1400

     

    ...which is already better than 85 percent of the Chess.com playing community in the blitz category.

  • #43
    DjonniDerevnja wrote:

    Playing tournament is super rewarding and builds tons of strength if you use it for all it is worth. Today I will play the third game in Høstturneringen, Nordstrand sjakklubb. I got the round setup already on friday, and I am expecting a certain first move from my opponent. I have been focusing on that opening some hours, and of course is better in that than I was a week ago. This evening the match will be played. We will punish each others inaccuracies and analyze them after the game. A lot to learn. Finally I run the game trough Stockfish when I come home.  This single game , lasting for ca 4 hours comes with at least 8 hours of training/education on top. This tournament is a 9 round, with a match most of the thursdays this autumn.

     

    Good luck for the tournament. By what you wrote, does it mean that you are familiar with the opponent or have played against him/her before?

  • #44
    eric0022 wrote:

    @MagnutsCarleson @hansensong

     

    Actually 1400 rating is already commendable. It is not easy to achieve.

     

    1300 to 1550 in two tournaments is very quick, at least in my opinion. However, quick gains are likely only for the first few tournaments and games that you play. Beyond a certain point, just like Chess.com games, gains are not going to be that quick since sufficient games would have been played for a relatively more accurate measure of rating, and the rating deviations, and hence the rating changes in a game for wins and losses, would be of a lower amount.

     

    USCF doesn't use rating deviations, though they do have a slightly different rating formula for the earlier games and use the number of games played (or if all previous games were wins or losses) to determine which formula to use. The algorithm does use a k-factor that is partially based on the total number of games ever played. It is similar but has a lesser impact than RD does.

  • #45
    eric0022 wrote:
    DjonniDerevnja wrote:

    Playing tournament is super rewarding and builds tons of strength if you use it for all it is worth. Today I will play the third game in Høstturneringen, Nordstrand sjakklubb. I got the round setup already on friday, and I am expecting a certain first move from my opponent. I have been focusing on that opening some hours, and of course is better in that than I was a week ago. This evening the match will be played. We will punish each others inaccuracies and analyze them after the game. A lot to learn. Finally I run the game trough Stockfish when I come home.  This single game , lasting for ca 4 hours comes with at least 8 hours of training/education on top. This tournament is a 9 round, with a match most of the thursdays this autumn.

     

    Good luck for the tournament. By what you wrote, does it mean that you are familiar with the opponent or have played against him/her before?

    I have met him twice in blitz, and I read two of his games that I googled.  I lost yesterday. Wasn't able to do anything else than solid development. I was equal after 20, maybe also 22 moves, and then  there was a little shootout were my calculation-concentration cracked, an my horse died. It was a big failure because my worst move was made in a minute or maybe faster. I am disappointed with not calculating one minute more before the move. I went straight into the kind of game he is best at, we were heading for an endgame, but I failed and resigned a few moves later. I wasn't able to find any ideas that gave him trouble. 

     

    Jan Synnestvedt had the advantage of superior concentration, mathematic skills, knowledge and more than 1500 rated games versus my 143. He could play more on experience, while I got slightly tired having to calculate every single move.

  • #46
    DjonniDerevnja wrote:
    eric0022 wrote:
    DjonniDerevnja wrote:

    Playing tournament is super rewarding and builds tons of strength if you use it for all it is worth. Today I will play the third game in Høstturneringen, Nordstrand sjakklubb. I got the round setup already on friday, and I am expecting a certain first move from my opponent. I have been focusing on that opening some hours, and of course is better in that than I was a week ago. This evening the match will be played. We will punish each others inaccuracies and analyze them after the game. A lot to learn. Finally I run the game trough Stockfish when I come home.  This single game , lasting for ca 4 hours comes with at least 8 hours of training/education on top. This tournament is a 9 round, with a match most of the thursdays this autumn.

     

    Good luck for the tournament. By what you wrote, does it mean that you are familiar with the opponent or have played against him/her before?

    I have met him twice in blitz, and I read two of his games that I googled.  I lost yesterday. Wasn't able to do anything else than solid development. I was equal after 20, maybe also 22 moves, and then  there was a little shootout were my calculation-concentration cracked, an my horse died. It was a big failure because my worst move was made in a minute or maybe faster. I am disappointed with not calculating one minute more before the move. I went straight into the kind of game he is best at, we were heading for an endgame, but I failed and resigned a few moves later. I wasn't able to find any ideas that gave him trouble. 

     

    Jan Synnestvedt had the advantage of superior concentration, mathematic skills, knowledge and more than 1500 rated games versus my 143. He could play more on experience, while I got slightly tired having to calculate every single move.

     

    Hi Djonni, your self-awareness and self-analysis before, during, and after the game is very commendable!  It will help you in the future!  Press on, sir!

  • #47

    I looked at my record. I tend to do worse in big events. I believe it should be the opposite. 

  • #48

    Good Players should be good in all control, My friend~wink.png

Top

Online Now